PDA

View Full Version : Breaded Elk Steaks

cuhogn
12-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Breaded Elk Steaks

Fillet ½”- ¾” thick steaks in half so the are ¼” to 3/8” thick

Cut filets into strips about 2” wide

Pound steak with meat tenderizer on both sides to make the fillet about ½ the thickness is was. If the cut is “tough” then use the knurled side of the tenderizer.

After all the meat is “pounded”

Coat steak in flour in a bowl or bag (season flour with salt and pepper if desired)

Dip flour coated fillet in egg that has been beaten

Then roll in Italian seasoned breadcrumbs

As you complete each fillet place it in pre-heated frying pan (I use an electric skillet set 280- 290) that has about a 1/8”of olive oil and sliced elephant garlic all across the bottom.

The fillets are placed on top of the garlic to cook and it takes about 3 minutes per side. Remove the filets leaving the garlic in the pan. Depending on how many fillets you cook additional oil may need to be added.
I place the cooked fillets on a platter in the oven to keep them warm until the batch is cooked.

The leftovers are great cold and on a sandwich.
Have not tried it on venison or duck yet but should be excellent also.

Steve_M
12-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Sounds great. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] But where do we get the Elk Steaks? [smiley=wallbash.gif]

PlugROCKSTAR
12-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Breaded Elk Steaks

Fillet ½”- ¾” thick steaks in half so the are ¼” to 3/8” thick

Cut filets into strips about 2” wide

Pound steak with meat tenderizer on both sides to make the fillet about ½ the thickness is was. If the cut is “tough” then use the knurled side of the tenderizer.

After all the meat is “pounded”

Coat steak in flour in a bowl or bag (season flour with salt and pepper if desired)

Dip flour coated fillet in egg that has been beaten

Then roll in Italian seasoned breadcrumbs

As you complete each fillet place it in pre-heated frying pan (I use an electric skillet set 280- 290) that has about a 1/8”of olive oil and sliced elephant garlic all across the bottom.

The fillets are placed on top of the garlic to cook and it takes about 3 minutes per side. Remove the filets leaving the garlic in the pan. Depending on how many fillets you cook additional oil may need to be added.
I place the cooked fillets on a platter in the oven to keep them warm until the batch is cooked.

The leftovers are great cold and on a sandwich.
Have not tried it on venison or duck yet but should be excellent also.

When i saw the Elk part of the thread my mouth started watering.

metalmouth
12-22-2006, 06:21 PM
I just made stroganoff out of some elk meat, Mmmmmmmm

cuhogn
12-22-2006, 07:59 PM
But where do we get the Elk Steaks?

Steve start here ;)

Colorado 2006
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/573/Alan_elk.jpg

metalmouth
12-23-2006, 01:12 PM
cuhogn, that is a tasty place to start! ;D
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/573/Alan_elk.jpg

cuhogn
12-24-2006, 07:12 AM
MM
Maybe we ought to have an elk hunt fest, must be some good areas up around you ;)

jethrobfsn
12-29-2006, 09:04 PM
ok, my mouth is slobberingggg... if you like your cut of meat thicker, try using italian dressing in the liquid form. it makes meat tender. at least my tri tip. 8-)

metalmouth
12-31-2006, 12:44 PM
cuhogn, the best elk hunting is in Montana. Pick your elk out of a herd of 60 animals. ;)