PDA

View Full Version : Brine for chickens

Geiger
11-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Hey Guys, I need a good recipe for brine so I can smoke some chicken thighs and legs. Anyone have any ideas or good recipes? Thanks in advance.

Chris

Ron G
11-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Smoked Turkey Brine posted below. *:)

TP
12-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Belive it or not I use the same brine for my chicken that I use for my smoked salmon. I'll brine the chicken and fish at the same time. It turns out great.

chicofishrmen
12-09-2006, 10:53 AM
This is "my" brine (taken from Good Eats @ Food Network) that I use on turkey and I will never go back non-brined turkey, plus it makes the gravy oh so tastey! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Smilies/chowtime.gif

For every 1 gallon of water put in;

1 cup of kosher salt
1 cup of brown sugar

I also put in 2 oranges (halved)
2 lemons

and a few bunches of fresh sage & rosemary

Enjoy

spinfisher
12-17-2006, 07:24 PM
This is a brine recipe from Sunset Mag. It's for roast or barbeque Turkey. I think it's great! :D

This is for a 15-20 lb bird, so you can modify it as needed for a whole chicken ( and cut it up after brining if you want to work with pieces)

1 C firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 C salt
3 Tablespoons ground cumin
3 Tablespoons pepper
1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon

This goes in 3 Qt water, and a turkey soaks 4 hr, in the fridge. I think you would not need to change that time much for a whole chicken - maybe 3 hr - I've used smaller volumes of the same recipe for turkey "roasts" made from one big boned thigh rolled and tied, and it was fine. (translate - yummy!)

I thought it was a strange combination of flavors when I first saw it, but it is really good! (I do find a way to get some garlic on the bird before I cook it, too..)

Enjoy! [smiley=chowtime.gif]