PDA

View Full Version : de Jonghe - shrimp and more

spinfisher
12-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Just remembered this - good and easy! :D

The thread on poor man's lobster reminded me of a Euell Gibbons recipe for making "shrimp cocktail" out of panfish fillets. (if you know who Euell Gibbons is... [smiley=old.gif] )

Anyway, he recommended dropping bluegill fillets or the like into boiling water until they just curled, chilling them and serving them with cocktail sauce, as if they were shrimp.

Once I had the "fillets can equal shrimp" in mind, I branched out - and made "shrimp" de Jonghe from the little fillets. I quickly learned that there was no need to precook the fillets for this, and that any mild white fish cut in small pieces (or left as thin fillets) could be treated this way - think, bass, any panfish, flounder, halibut chunks, etc, etc .

For de Jonghe, you melt butter in a pan, add chopped shallots or garlic, scallions, tarragon, and a touch of nutmeg, and simmer just until fragrant. Stir in a shot of dry sherry. Pass the fish you are deJonging through the butter to coat, and put in a baking dish. Melt more butter and add more spices and sherry if necessary, and add breadcrumbs (plain) until you have a nice moist crumble. Sprinkle over the fish and bake at 350 until the fish is done and the topping is crispy.

Yummy, quick, easy. Serve with salad & rice (I like peas and mushrooms in the rice- pilaf style)

metalmouth
12-16-2006, 09:18 PM
You know he died from eating some parts of a pine tree. ;D

That recipe sounds great, I just caught a bunch of perch ice fishing. I'll give it a try.

MM

spinfisher
12-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Y'know, it's a recipe for when you don't really want to cook, but it tastes elegant - just stir some stuff up in butter, plop it on the fillets, stick it in the oven. Done. [smiley=chowtime.gif]