View Full Version : wanted....back strap recipe

Rusty_Hooks
12-16-2006, 08:31 AM
A good friend gave me one of this years mullie backstraps last night

I need a recipe.....I'm desperate

HELP

PlugROCKSTAR
12-16-2006, 01:05 PM
I bet this marinade will be good. Send me some and i'll give it a shot for you ;)

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1166243791

spinfisher
12-16-2006, 05:57 PM
OK, this is a Swiss recipe I found once and kept because it looked good. I even think I may have tried it once, but it has to have been long ago, because I don't often have venison on hand.

Now, I'm translating this, so if it reads like software installation instructions, I'm sorry *:-/

This calls for a 2 1/2 kilogram back - ~ 5 lb? (Aha! in true German style, the important info comes last - this is a whole back, on the bone.)(PS, no offense?)

( I know you can run with this, Rusty *:D )

-2 1/2 kg "back of venison" -Soak in milk 1-2 days. (somehow, I doubt I did this)

-"Barding" bacon
-1/4 lb butter
-a good shot " little glass" juniper schnapps (or genever, or gin)
-salt & pepper
-4-6 or so juniper berries
-"roast garniture" = parsley, peppercorns, bay leaf, onion, thyme, garlic
- 4-6 oz while wine (or bouillon - yeah, right)
- ~3/4 C sour cream
- optional mushrooms, wild or tame as desired.

Bard roast with bacon strips.

Put in roasting pan, and pour hot melted butter over to seal the outside.

Pour the juniper schnapps over and flambe briefly

Salt and pepper, rub with the smashed juniper berries, toss a few over the meat if you love juniper. Add the "garniture" to the pan.

Roast in preheated "medium to high" (375?) oven, about 45 min. basting frequently, bit by bit, with the white wine, (and the drippings, I'd imagine!)

To serve, remove the straps from the bone, slice, and keep warm.

Add the sour cream and optional mushrooms to the drippings to make a nice sauce, and heat well. Pour ~ half the sauce over the meat, and serve the rest on the side. * * *[smiley=chowtime.gif]

Rusty_Hooks
12-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks Spinfisher......that recipe is so very close to a special swedish marinade with gin and berries

I tried to put the marinade together but the gin bottle was out and the tasting began ::)

well anyway....it's boneless, in the fridge, in a marinade with a little less gin ;D ;D

but I did get the berries in the marinade 8-)

Sunday venison dinner on the way.....

Thanks 916, I'll try that on some ribs