PDA

View Full Version : Tomales on a kayak?

Brickinthewall98
07-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Staying at lawsons next weekend and am bringing my kayak. I have read bad stuff about Lawson's and we will Probaly go to bodega after. But im not sure what to expect fishing out there.. Whats the best bet? Halibut? Sharks? Rays? Any general areas should focus on? Is it say for a kayak? Sorry for all the questions thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QueenAnnesRevenge
07-25-2014, 05:01 PM
I've seen lots of kayakers out there. Hog back island is a good start
First sabiki up some bait to use or just soak some squid for shark/rays

LURKER916
07-25-2014, 05:05 PM
I e kayaked in Tomales bay a bunch. It's a nice place to paddle. You can launch at Nicks cove and head to Hog island and see batray a in the shallows.
One disclaimer. I did have a GWS encounter there. It just went past me about 10 feet on my left. Scared the crap outa me. Was longer than my 13 foot prowler I was on at the time.

Matt

Brickinthewall98
07-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Thanks guys... Oh crap. A gws... Thats gotta be some scary stuff

Fishbucket
07-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Tomales Bay is known as a GWS breeding area. Though I don't think there has ever bee any kind of "attack". outside the Bay at the point is prime rent collecting Landlord Property.

Watch the wind if you need to get to the other side back to the launch, it' can whip thru there.

Go prepared, Mind and craft.

QueenAnnesRevenge
07-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Lots of stories of attacks right on the bar and Tomales point. Especially on tasty divers

LURKER916
07-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Stay in your kayak. You'll be fine.
Unless you have a Hobie. That's the kayak of choice for an attack from the LandLord.

Matt

ngt
07-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Drop some squid out in front of the northern side of Nick's Cove on the incoming for ray.

LURKER916
07-25-2014, 08:22 PM
HAHAHAHAHA. And hang on for a ride if one takes you too far cut the line.

Matt

Brickinthewall98
07-25-2014, 09:02 PM
I will be go pro ready! Im
Bout to make some sick videos.... If hook up ;)

ngt
07-25-2014, 09:51 PM
I will be go pro ready! Im
Bout to make some sick videos.... If hook up ;)

Try my spot. You'll get ray on squid on incoming mid to high. Dies after high tide. Don't need to be very far out either. 30-40 yards or so off the northern tip of Nick's Cove. The cove is just north of the boat launch. Very shallow area too.

Brickinthewall98
07-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Try my spot. You'll get ray on squid on incoming mid to high. Dies after high tide. Don't need to be very far out either. 30-40 yards or so off the northern tip of Nick's Cove. The cove is just north of the boat launch. Very shallow area too.

Oh that sounds perfect thanks! And thanks every one else for all the help. Im not a big ocean guy but iam really starting to get into it.

ngt
07-25-2014, 11:49 PM
Oh that sounds perfect thanks! And thanks every one else for all the help. Im not a big ocean guy but iam really starting to get into it.

pm sent with a map, just in case I got the cove wrong :)

Brickinthewall98
07-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Okay so I'm doing a day for sharks and rays. A day for halibut. And if conditions permit a day for rockfish. I have a few more questions. I have caught plenty of bats on a sliding sinker with squid and mackerel. But I have never caught a shark. What works better, high Lo or sliding rig. And for bait I read midshipmen keep the rays off and is shark candy but if I can't get any what a good back up?

Brickinthewall98
07-27-2014, 08:23 PM
Oh and are any sharks table worthy. What about rays? I heard they are a pita to clean but if bled out they can taste good. I will probably C&R all my sharks and ray but if I bust on halibut I want some bacon to bring back to the RV

dsa2780
07-27-2014, 08:34 PM
Oh and are any sharks table worthy. What about rays? I heard they are a pita to clean but if bled out they can taste good. I will probably C&R all my sharks and ray but if I bust on halibut I want some bacon to bring back to the RV

Sharks are edible as well as rays. Cut their throats, gills and tails as soon as you know you can keep them, gut them and preferably get it to ice. Leopards have to be 36 I believe, soupfins and dogfish have no length restrictions. Soupfin limit is one, dogfish limit is 10.

Six gills, seven gills have no size limit and only one a day can be kept and Thresher may be kept with a two fish limit.

Beer battered shark is actually how most English fish and chips used to be made and it's really firm clean tasting white fish if taken care of.

People eat Bat Rays, most often in France. This is an interesting recipe for bat ray wing.

Bat Ray with Brown Butter Recipe - Eating Bat Rays | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook (http://honest-food.net/2012/06/24/bat-ray-recipe/)

N.O Xpl()de
07-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Let us know how you guys do out there cause we will be heading out there too pretty soon.

ApexPredator
07-30-2014, 02:29 AM
Brick my shark rig is a sliding sinker/steel leader/barbless circle hook. I like to leave it in free spool with the clicker on and wait for them to take it, circle does the rest.

ngt
08-14-2014, 09:15 PM
so...................how did it go?

Brickinthewall98
08-15-2014, 12:03 PM
so...................how did it go?

A few rays by lawsons landing on squid. Halibut was a bust because there was too much debris too troll and i didnt have any live bait.

Brickinthewall98
08-15-2014, 12:04 PM
Oh and both go pro and phone were dead on the kayak because i couldnt charge them
In the RV so much for making a video

ngt
08-15-2014, 11:14 PM
A few rays by lawsons landing on squid. Halibut was a bust because there was too much debris too troll and i didnt have any live bait.

should have tried my spot :p

Brickinthewall98
08-16-2014, 08:20 AM
should have tried my spot :p

I went over there but I couldn't reach the spot because there were what looked like oyster farms in the way. And I wasn't sure how to get around or if I even could.

ngt
08-16-2014, 09:52 PM
I went over there but I couldn't reach the spot because there were what looked like oyster farms in the way. And I wasn't sure how to get around or if I even could.

At least you tried. You should have been able to get right to my circle. No farms 30-50 yards off the north bank of that little cove. Oh well, maybe next time. Lawson's does have a crazy current where it funnels though and line just gets yanked by seaweed through that funneled in area. I would say stay back more in the bay. If you go from the back launch and you don't want to go to where I said, you can go straight across past the island to a cool little beach. Right off that beach it gets to 30-50 ft and fish/crab are there.

luckyraider
08-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Also you do not need live bait when fishing for halibut. As long as your offering gets in front of a biter (Halibut) theyll hit just about anything. We use frozen Herring/Anchovie tray bait and if theres fish have no problem getting them to bite. People use jigs, broken back rebels etc.:pirate:

Materalus1
09-03-2014, 09:35 PM
I've always wanted to yak in Tomales Bay