PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Crab Recipes?

p_town
12-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Does anyone have any simple good crab recipes? I am getting tired of just dipping the meat in lemon juice. :P

P.S. Does anyone have a special way of preparing the crab?

Farrier_Frank
12-11-2006, 07:21 AM
I wish we had so much crab we were getting tired of just dipping it in lemon juice ::).... I got an idea, why don't you send all that extra crab you're tired of eating up here to Georgetown and I'll get Mickey and IT and Pink Boat and Wetdog and GVF and GCinGV and any other Sniffers in the hood and we'll have a cooking contest and send you the results with the best recipe. Better send plenty, though, as we'll probably be snacking on crab dipped in lemon juice while we're trying to come up with the "perfect" recipe. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CJC
12-11-2006, 08:56 AM
A spicy recipy?

metalmouth
12-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Spicy is good! Are you going to post it? 8-) No maybe you shouldn't. Your recipes are too good and make my mouth water. :-X

spinfisher
12-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Lemon juice? I always use melted butter for dipping. Guess that's why I'm so skinny... ;D ;D

Sprinkle them with Old Bay Crab Boil Spice (or Zatarain's) before steaming them, or toss the spices in the boiling water. Gives a great flavor, if the flavor of the crab isn't enough [smiley=chowtime.gif]

Italianfish
12-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Here is what we have been doing for YEARS. After you have boiled and crack the crabs.

For 2 crabs

1-1.5 cups red wine vinegar
1/2 3/4 cups Olive Oil
Salt 1-2 table Spoons
Pepper table spoon
Tje measurments are just a guide line. Evey on can stand ony so much vinegar,

I a big bowl mix the ingredients and put in the cracked crab. Fill with water, but not too much so the oil/vinegar mixture still has taste. You want to Marinade the crab for at least 3 hours. Put a bib on and got for it. You will want to serve it with a good sourdough bread, and a big green salad. ENJOY

On a side note, if you cooking your own crab, Kill them with a knife in the head and take off the legs and the body (clean it) then cook it. I have not tried this yet, but I saw it on TV and they say it is much sweeter because you not cooking all the insides.

Rusty_Hooks
12-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Toast up some sourdough bread and spread it with melted butted and crushed garlic

then spred on the shreded crab and top it with (my favorite) white sharp cheddar cheese

slide those puppies into the broiler and melt the cheese.....viola

They should call these slurpies for all the salivating they cause ;D ;D

p_town
12-11-2006, 10:00 PM
I can't wait to try them I am already drooling, to bad the Pacifica Pier is closed though( high surf warning) :'(. Maybe I will try to hitch a ride on boat out there when the swell goes down.

P.S. Spicy is good.

chicofishrmen
12-12-2006, 10:51 AM
I've used both of these recipes and they are very good. http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Smilies/chowtime.gif

Louisiana-Style Spicy Alaska Crab

Source: Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.

2 pounds Alaska crab legs, (king, snow or dungeness)
1/2 cup butter
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup beer
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 (31-ounce) can yams, drained
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Cajun Spice Mixture:
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all of the ingredients for Cajun spice mix in a small bowl; set aside.
With a sharp knife, cut crab legs into 2-inch long pieces. Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic and 2 teaspoons Cajun spice mixture (reserve remaining mixture for another use); sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Add crab, chicken broth, beer and lemon juice. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring gently. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until crab is well heated. Serve crab and sauce over rice and garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
While crab legs are cooking, place drained yams in a microwave-safe dish. Heat on MEDIUM HIGH 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice; stir to blend. Serve immediately.

And this is a great spicy crab cake.

Spicy Crab Cakes with Horseradish Mayo Recipe
-5 slices white sandwich bread
3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2 Tbsp plus 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 pound cooked fresh Dungeness crabmeat, picked over and drained

Horseradish Mayo
1 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp prepared horseradish
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Kosher salt

1 Tear up the bread and pulse in a food processor to make fine, soft crumbs (about 4 cups). Transfer the bread crumbs to a shallow pan and mix in 1/2 cup of the parsley.

2 In a food processor, combine the egg yolk, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, mustard, paprika, thyme, celery seeds, and black pepper. Pulse to combine. With the motor running, add the oil through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream until the mixture emulsifies and forms a mayonnaise-type sauce. Transfer sauce to a bowl.

3 In a large bowl, combine the onion and bell pepper with the remaining 1/4 cup of parsley. Add the mayonnaise-type sauce and crabmeat and mix lightly. Using a rubber spatula, fold in 1 cup of the bread crumb mixture. Do not overwork the mixture. Gently form 6 cakes and flatten them into patties about 1/2 inch thick. Dredge the patties lightly in the remaining bread crumb mixture. Cover the crab cakes with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or longer.

4 Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat and add about 2 Tbsp of butter to the pan. Working in batches, fry crab cakes gently 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown and heated through. Add more butter to the pan if necessary.

5 To prepare the horseradish mayo, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cover and refrigerate.

Makes six 4-inch wide crab patties.

Adapted from a recipe in the Marshall Field's Cookbook.

metalmouth
12-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Chico,
Crab Cakes with Horsey Mayo,
I'm all over that one! ;D

fishyguy
12-12-2006, 03:37 PM
This is not exactly a recipe but rather a simple cooking method which cooks the crab just until done instead of the typical boiling method which leaves the crab tough and rubbery.

Seperate the legs from the body and then separate each leg. *Slightly crack the shell on each leg so it'll be easier to get to the meat. *Lay out the legs on a deep dish. *Bring the water in a double boiler to a boil (a large wok works best). *Don't put the crab in till the water is fully boiling. *Put the dish of crab legs into the double boiler, cover and steam roughly 10 to 15 minutes until just done. *The meat will be very tender if it's not overcooked. * I just dip it in a simple sauce of minced fresh ginger. *To prepare the ginger sauce, mince the raw ginger finely, put in a small bowl, add a bit of salt, heat about a tablespoon of oil till very hot, then pour over the ginger. *

p_town
12-12-2006, 04:03 PM
:o ;D I can't wait to try a these recipes. They are going staight into my "Drooling" cook book. Thanks for the new ideas ;D