PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected encounter on the Upper Sac

Clearwaterkid
07-27-2014, 10:54 AM
My dad and I went to the river for a couple hours this mornin, and my usual hole was taken, so I went upstream to my other spot and lo and behold, I was ambushed by my grandfather :jasper:(thats pretty close to what he looks like is the sad part), who was taking a break from Placerville and decided the coast was too busy for his comfort..
It was nice to see him, we've been talking about going fishing together for years and it finally happened, through no effort of our own, just pure luck.
The trout bite was hot on any spinner you lobbed out there. I was using a 1/32 oz panther martin, he was using a 1/8 oz mepps agalia, and we both did just fine.
Well honestly I was getting skunked, then we as we were leaving, my hole opened back up, so we stopped for a couple casts. Honestly, who passes up perfect water, you know what I'm sayin?
I climbed up onto my boulder(it gives me a good view of the water and lets me see when fish short strike, so I know I need to alter my retrieve), and fired out my PM, first cast, 13 inches of chunky rainbow.
In quick order I caught another eight fish anywhere from 11 to 14 inches, all in the course of maybe fifteen minutes. Then my grandpa walked up from his hole and I invited him to fish. his first cast: 12 incher thrown into his creel with the other fish he'd caught that day(all 16 inches of it.).
It fell off for me after that, they liked his Mepps more than my PM, dad and I left about ten minutes later. All in all, it was a nice day, and sometimes those unexpected encounters are the best for the memories.

Fish_For_It
07-30-2014, 04:32 PM
Nothing like sharing a good fishing day with family, especially with your grandfather. Keep up the great work.

TexWalker
08-01-2014, 11:46 AM
You're a lucky man, I'd kill to fish with my grandpa again! Glad you had a good time!

TroutLife
08-05-2014, 11:39 PM
I grew up in Mt. Shasta. I fished the sac and wagon creek a lot. The creek was in my neighborhood! I sure do miss those days. The trade for the big Sierra browns and Macs hasn't been to bad! Lol Nice to read off my old stomping grounds. I would also give just about anything to fish with my gramps also. Days like the one you shared with us, those are memories you will carry your whole life!:)