PDA

View Full Version : Highlands Lake Mystery

borntoscout
07-27-2014, 07:47 PM
The Highland Lakes are known to have small (stunted) brookies. Acting on a hunch that a few larger cannibalistic fish might be sulking in deeper cooler waters, I visited the eastern lake recently. As I paddled out onto the lake I was delighted to see fish marks, lots of them, ranging from 12 to 35 feet, both suspended and hugging the bottom. The marks were of a size and form that I have come to associate with trout of 15 to 20 + inches on the simple little sonar. Whatever kind of fish that were registering the marks they were not biting. I trolled from 1 to 4 colors lead core but only had one strike at the surface on reel up.

Captain Compassion
07-27-2014, 07:56 PM
I sometimes find fish finders frustrating. You can see a ton of fish on the scope but try as you might nothing hits, Then again you often get fish when nothing is on the scope. Go figure. :helmut:

CC

fat fish
07-27-2014, 08:39 PM
I sometimes find fish finders frustrating. You can see a ton of fish on the scope but try as you might nothing hits, Then again you often get fish when nothing is on the scope. Go figure. :helmut:

CC

I agree but they sometimes make you look like a psychic when you fish w newbies and call out "fish on in 10 seconds." Lol my nephews were so impressed until I explained how a fish finder works.

brookies
07-28-2014, 03:17 AM
The bigger fish are there. I have fished Highland lakes several times and have always picked up one to two 15" to 17" brooks. Brookies

Lifted
07-28-2014, 09:26 AM

CC

Haha in the last year that my friend has had his boat and the dozen or so times we've taken it out, I can only think of one time where we cruised over a single big mark on the fish finder and 20 sec later hooked up. It was a nice mack at Donner so it was a rewarding feeling.