PDA

View Full Version : Smoking "Big" meat?

SuperDave
11-16-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm thinking about trying to smoke a large piece of meat for the holidays, like a ham or large roast. I'm concerned with under estimating the time and screwing up the "big meal" Has anyone done large pieces of meat and able to help me with time allocation?

ITUKAWAL
11-16-2006, 09:44 AM
David, what time should I be there for appetizers. ;)

I've done a few large cuts in my smoker with reasonable success and have found the most important element is internal meat temperature.

It seems I have a drawer dedicated to meat thermometers. I prefer the inexpensive "Stick it and check it when I think about it" unit. About 6 bucks.

Don't open the door too often but make sure your moisture pan is full of beer or soda.

Last thing you want to make sure you have is .....confidence

That and a small glass of cognac....and yur go to go......................

SuperDave
11-16-2006, 09:57 AM
LOL, I just found a recipe on the internet for the "best smoked ham". Preparation and smoke time is 6 months. ;D I think the family would be a little hungry on Christmas.

Ron G
11-16-2006, 01:01 PM
I smoke whole brisket a lot, are you looking for a more traditional holiday cut of meat?. Most of the ham's that you buy are already cured and smoked. You can finish them off in your smoker but you'll need more heat than smoke. I'm not sure what type of smoker you have but try a prime rib roast. Start it in the smoker for a couple of hours then finish it on high heat, uncovered in the oven. I have some recipes if your interested, PM me and I'll send you my website. They don't like me to put my website on any post. *:)

CJC
11-16-2006, 04:08 PM
LOL, I just found a recipe on the internet for the "best smoked ham". Preparation and smoke time is 6 months. ;D I think the family would be a little hungry on Christmas.
Where is the link. I want to see that one. ;D