PDA

View Full Version : SuperDave's Original Chili

SuperDave
01-09-2006, 07:42 AM
SuperDave's Original Award Winning Chili

Ingredients:
4 to 5 lbs beef *- I usually buy sirloin roast on sale and cube it myself (generous 1” x 1” cubes) *Some times I mix things up with half beef and half pork.
1 – lrg. onion, diced
4 – cloves garlic
2 cans beef broth
1 – 14ish oz. Can tomato sauce
1 – 14ish oz. Can of tomato puree
1 – lrg. Can Ortega diced green chilies
1 can El Pato sauce (yellow with duck) This is Mexican tomato sauce, look in Mexican food isle. *This is the “Heat.” *If you are heat sensitive, wait until the end and add a little at a time.
1 package of Lowrys chili mix
1 – 1 lb. Bag pinto beans (cook with ham hock, pork fat or bacon) Lazy method, use 4 lrg cans of pinto beans or beans of your choice.

Cube meat and brown in a large pot with a little oil over high heat. *Do not drain. *Add onion and garlic. *(I put onion and garlic in my food processor at the same time) *Cook until the onion starts to look translucent. *Add beef broth until meat is covered and simmer until it is fall apart tender. *Add the remaining ingredients. *I drain my beans first. *If you like your chili thicker, add 1/4 – 1/3 cup flour to a cup of cold water. *Stir until lumps are gone and add to the chili.

Sierra_hillbilly
01-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Make sure you soak beans for a day or so. If you dont you will either end up with hard beans or a case of methane outbursts every 5 seconds the rest of the day.

MB_Kevin
01-11-2006, 12:01 AM
try dropping in some corn bread dumplings...I have a favorite recipe that is chili with corn bread dumplings. It is great!!! ;)

wifesathome
01-11-2006, 02:29 AM
How much does this make, sounds like alot just me and the wife can portions be cut in half or is that sacraligous

SuperDave
01-11-2006, 08:04 AM
You could 1/2 the recipe. However, there is enough Winter and a Super Bowl left to make the full batch and freeze a couple zip lock baggies for a cold, rainy night that you don't feel like cooking.

wifesathome
01-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Ok thanks Ill see if I have a pot big enough

fish4fun
01-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Hinrid.. What's the next to last ingredient in your recipe? It says 4 large cans. Cans of what? Thanks.. Larry

SuperDave
01-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Larry, it is the wrap of the line above. If you are feeling lazy, 4 large cans of beans will take the place of the "homemade bean". If you like a variety of beans, cans are also an easy way to go.

fish4fun
01-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Hinrid, Thanks! I just read your first post and it was clear. Maybe I read it wrong last night. It was right before I went to sleep. Looks like a recipe I want to try.. Larry

SuperDave
10-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Almost chili time. [smiley=cold.gif] If you are craving some good meaty chili, this will do the trick.

predator
11-01-2006, 02:15 AM
Great tasting chilli is always welcome in my stomach! ;D m'mmmm

predator

Rusty_Hooks
11-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks Dave....I think I'll whip up a batch this weekend and putt around a bit ::)