PDA

View Full Version : Stuffing or not stuffing

CJC
09-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Turkey season is close and Americans will consume more turkey in a few days than they do the rest of the year. Stuffing is popular but it seems like it is done mostly outside of the turkey in a separate pot now a days. Stuffing the turkey makes the cooking time much longer, may be twice as long. Hence the meat will be very well done and is you cook it covered up it may be falling apart. Cooking it without the stuffing allows you to have it just right and the meat will be juicier. What is your preference?

45_Auto
09-17-2006, 02:43 PM
The wife and I stuff the bird and cook it in an electric roaster. No worry about having to baste, and no hot oven heating the house. It's one that looks like an oval roasting pan, and turns out some juicy birds.

metalmouth
09-17-2006, 07:07 PM
compadrejt open the poll so we can see the results. *Please. *:-*

Oh, I forgot, definitely stuffing. I rub the bird down with Olive Oil to seal in the moisture. Very juicy. :D

CJC
09-17-2006, 07:53 PM
compadrejt open the poll so we can see the results. Please. :-*

Oh, I forgot, definitely stuffing. I rub the bird down with Olive Oil to seal in the moisture. Very juicy. :D

Done. ;)

cool_justin
09-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Stuffing!!!!!!!

thumbuster
09-18-2006, 06:38 AM
No stuffing... I deep fry

SuperDave
09-18-2006, 07:32 AM
I make stuffing balls and cook them outside the turkey. We like the crunchy outside and moist inside.

ITUKAWAL
09-18-2006, 12:47 PM
If I am smoking the turkey, it gets stuffed with fruit and onions. YUM

spinfisher
09-19-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm for stuffing! Doc loves it, and it's never the same if I try to cook it separately. It gets too dry, and doesn't have the flavor - even when I soak it good with the giblet and neck broth. We do the turkey on a charcoal Weber cooker and it's next to impossible to overcook.

Right now we're on a "Southwestern" kick - I stuff the bird with cornbread, chiles, pignolis, touch of Chipotle Special Sauce for aroma....mmmmm! * *[smiley=yahoo.gif]

How long till Thanksgiving? I'm getting hungry! * ::)

metalmouth
09-19-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm for stuffing! Doc loves it, and it's never the same if I try to cook it separately. It gets too dry, and doesn't have the flavor - even when I soak it good with the giblet and neck broth. We do the turkey on a charcoal Weber cooker and it's next to impossible to overcook.

Right now we're on a "Southwestern" kick - I stuff the bird with cornbread, chiles, pignolis, touch of Chipotle Special Sauce for aroma....mmmmm! * *[smiley=yahoo.gif]

How long till Thanksgiving? I'm getting hungry! * ::)

That sounds great. Can I come to your house for Thanksgiving. I'm hungry as well. [smiley=snacker.gif]

Kneedeep
09-23-2006, 12:52 PM
I love the stuffing that a family friend makes every year. She cooks it seperately and it has sausage in it. I know she tears up bread and adds butter but I don't know the rest of the process. I just love the added flavor of the sausage. Yummm Kneedeep

SuperDave
09-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Oh forget the stuffing and go straight for the pie! ;D

spinfisher
09-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Oh, yeah, there is sausage in the cornbread and chile stuffing too, and some chopped chorizo for the full flavor.

Anybody bringing turkey to Pyramid fest? ;D

Dave, if you've made enough, you can still get some stuffing after the pie... :P :D

fishingchef
09-28-2006, 09:17 PM
The main problem with stuffing inside the bird is that it can take a long time (2-4 hours) for the stuffing inside the bird to come up to a safe temp (165 degrees). This is the temp that will kill all the cooties. With such a long exposeure to temps in the "danger zone" (70-120 degrees) you could be serving your guest a serious health hazard. Recommed a sepate pan of stuffing, crusty on top and moist in center. If you want to keep your pan stuffing moister cover with plastic wrap and then foil. Remove foil and wrap for last 15-20 mins to brown crust. If not worried about health add some daubs of soft butter. As for turkey prep if you can rub turkey over night with half salt (kosher) and half brown sugar or let it sit in a basic brine overnight your so much better.

Chief_Sniffer
10-19-2006, 08:29 PM
I prepared a turducken completely from scratch last year and it was the most delicious bird(s) ever.

striper_assasin
10-20-2006, 09:47 AM
my neighbor deep fried a turkey a few yrs back.and i must say that is the only way i want my turkey cooked now.soooo juicy!!!!

metalmouth
10-20-2006, 11:31 AM
I prepared a turducken completely from scratch last year and it was the most delicious bird(s) ever.

MMM a turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken. How long did it take to cook?

Rusty_Hooks
10-29-2006, 06:40 PM

Right now we're on a "Southwestern" kick - I stuff the bird with cornbread, chiles, pignolis, touch of Chipotle Special Sauce for aroma....mmmmm! [smiley=yahoo.gif]

How long till Thanksgiving? I'm getting hungry! ::)

That sounds great. Can I come to your house for Thanksgiving. I'm hungry as well. [smiley=snacker.gif]

This is what Im trying this year

Steve_M
10-29-2006, 07:23 PM
I make stuffing balls and cook them outside the turkey. *We like the crunchy outside and moist inside. *

Dave, I didn't know turkeys had balls. :-/ How do you stuff them?