PDA

View Full Version : Just reserved a spot at Sunset campground at UVR.

mikeandkristy
08-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Hi friends. I haven't been posting much because it's been too hot to go out. Even for this die hard fishing girl. We have never been to UVR. I heard that Sunset campground is the best. So I booked the only spot we could get near the water #127. Anyone been there? Hoping we can leave our boat on shore at night. We are staying the 11th and the 12th. Any suggestions on where to fish? Excited and nervous as we have never been. Thanks for any input. Last camping trip before the school year starts and I have to go back to work.
Kristy.

sportygirl
08-01-2014, 06:41 PM
We stayed there last year!! I think spot 91 wasn't near water. There were not a lot of boats there. If your spot is by the swim beach it was nice and flat no big rocks!

fat fish
08-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Good luck out there. Try Loon if uvr isn't producing. Uvr is a big lake and your boat is perfect for it. I hope u guys get some macks.

Captain Compassion
08-01-2014, 09:55 PM
Good luck out there. Try Loon if uvr isn't producing. Uvr is a big lake and your boat is perfect for it. I hope u guys get some macks.

With the closure of the American Hatchery and no stocking for over a month the big predators might be starting to get hungry.

CC

Treebeard
08-02-2014, 08:15 AM
It's been pretty warm recently up there, too - hopefully it will cool down a bit everywhere in another 10 days! It looks like that's the trend, so it should be pretty ideal by the time you get there!

I have not fished from a boat there, but from the bank I've had good luck in the big arm of the lake where Jones Fork empties into the lake... there's a powerhouse up in there, but that doesn't seem to inhibit the bite. Sunset is at the tip of the peninsula that divides that arm from the rest of the lake, so all you need to do is head your boat practically due East.

I've never caught a Mack there, but the best time of day for rainbows from shore has always been from the minute the sun drops below the western horizon, on into dark.

Here's hoping everybody up there is extremely cautious with fire, off-road vehicles, chainsaws, or even a transmission or tailpipe striking a granite boulder in the road - anything that could possibly make a spark, because a lot of that area around UVR is just a tinderbox. For many years there has been just an amazing amount of fuel on the ground there, more than most other places I'm familiar with. Come to think about it, having a nice boat handy to make a getaway across the water if the roads are burning sounds like a good idea!

TB

GoneCountry
08-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Surprised they allow fires, I heard Donner lake area and Truckee banned all campfires

Rugby Lock
08-02-2014, 06:41 PM
I was up there last Friday and the lake lice were all over... and the surface temps were about 71 according to my fish finder

Renron
08-03-2014, 09:32 AM
We were there last Wed. slow fishing, caught 2 macs and an unknown fish. We fished about 200yards in front of the boat ramp to the point, 60 ft. Black and gold rebel NOT rapala. Well we fished both lures and others all over the lake but only had bites from the boat ramp to the point using REBEL lures. There is a difference apparently to the fish. We stayed in about 120' of water.
bad time of day too. 11 - 1.
No trouble with lake lice. (jetski crowd)
Enjoy your camping!

mikeandkristy
08-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the advice friends. Oh and we will only be using our camp stove. No pit fires just to be safe.
Kristy.