PDA

View Full Version : How to make Stuffed Striper

another_fisherman
09-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Can anyone tell me how to prepare this meal? I've heard that you scale and gut the fish. Clean, then stuff with any vegetables. Has anyone else done this and is it good? If so, please give me some tips. Thanks.

spinfisher
09-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Aaahhh, now you're talkin' about my favorite fish dish (except for all the other fish dishes *;))

This works best with what we call a "school" bass back east - a 4-6 lber.

Yup, you scale it and gut it, and then I take out the gills, and make like I'm going to fillet the tail part, from the underside, leaving it connected at the back.

For a stuffing, I like rice with mushrooms, chopped leeks or scallions, butter, herbs - tarragon, maybe, marjoram, whatever you like, and almond slivers.

Stuff the fish with that, tail, belly, and right up into the head, and set the fish upright on a roasting pan - just *like he was swimming there.

Paint him with a mixture of a little Dijon mustard, thyme, rosemary, garlic, stirred with a little white wine and lemon juice, and roast at 350 till done. I check him by cutting next to the dorsal fin and seeing if the meat separates from the bone easy. *I guess you could use a thermometer - is it 120 for fish??? *:-/

For the folks who have problems when dinner looks back at them, cut a pimento olive in half, and stick a half cut side out, with a toothpick to decorate each eye. A squid in the mouth would be appropriate, but a nice white bucktail will work *;D

Serve it swimming on the platter. *An elegant presentation! *8-) "Fillet" the fish to serve, lay the fillets on a separate plate, lift the backbone at the tail or head, and the whole skeleton and ribs should lift off the stuffing. * Enjoy!

I think a presumptuous little Sauvignon Blanc would accompany this, a cold beer would be fine, too... *;D

Sporting_gent
09-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Hey AF! do you pre cook the stuffing or do you count on the rice cooking in the fish? 120 sounds to low although I agree with the method for testing. I dont care what temp the fish is at, if it falkes off the bone its time to eat!

spinfisher
09-27-2006, 03:50 PM
I cook the rice for my stuffing, but a little "al dente", and saute it with the veg and flavorings. It does cook more and get a bit softer in the fish as he roasts.

Sporting_gent
09-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Sounds tasty. I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the tip.