PDA

View Full Version : Poached Chicken with ginger and green onions

CJC
09-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Chicken is not a favorite in the American diet hence it being so inexpensive. But to me it is more flavorful than most meats and itís always tender. Not to mention that itís more healthy than many other meats.You can really taste the difference when you make soup base with chicken vs. other meats. When I do this recipe, I usually make soup as a side dish with the water used in poaching the chicken. Never let anything go to waste. It is a very simple recipe and easy to prepare. But it takes a long time for the chicken to cook. If you time things just right dinner can be had in 50 minutes or so. I will not get into the soup preparation here.

Poached chicken with ginger and green onions, an original recipe

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/5485/p1010394hf8.jpg

Ingredients for up to 4 servings:

Ĺ of a whole chicken
2 stalks of green onions chopped finely
4 tablespoons (topped) of ginger chopped finely
1 tea spoon of salt.
3 tablespoons of salad oil
4 quarts of water

Preparation:

The chicken
The chicken should be at room temperature before cooking or your timing will be off. I have done it with frozen chicken but it is tricky to get it just right. Use a deep and small diameter pot for this. You need to cover the chicken completely with the minimum amount of water in the process of poaching to cook it evenly and the resulting liquid would make a better soup stock. I normally put the chicken in the pot and fill it with water until the chicken is completely covered and then top it another inch. Then I remove the chicken and bring the water to a boil. Once boiling put the chicken in to cook. Keep the flame on until it boils again. Do not let it boil for an extended amount of time or it will lose flavor and the desired texture. The chicken will toughen up dramatically if boiled for a long time. As soon as the water begins boiling turn the flame to the lowest setting and let it cook slowly for 45 minutes. Turn it once in the middle of this process. If you have a big pot and you have more water than recommended, you may turn the flame off completely as soon as it boils but you really need a lot more water to do this. The additional energy stored in the water will cook the chicken through without the flame. As always, I like the meat a little pink but not really bloody. To test it for readiness, poke the chicken on the inside part of the leg with a fork. If itís still bloody, bring the water to a boil again and let it cook for an additional 10 minutes with the flame off.

The sauce
While the chicken is being cooked there is plenty of time to prepare everything else including other dishes. So I always do chopping of the ingredients for the sauce during this time. All you have to do is to place the ginger next to the green onions and add the salt and oil on top. It canít be more simple than this.

Serve by chopping the chicken in bite size pieces next to the sauce. Enjoy your meal!

robert_long
09-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Sounds good JT can you bring some for lunch? :)

Robert

CJC
09-15-2006, 09:46 AM
;D ;D ;D
You are really making this hard to resist!

ITUKAWAL
09-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Don't start yet JT, I need time to get down there ::) J/K

CJC
09-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Don't start yet JT, I need time to get down there ::) J/K

If you are driving all the way here you deserve a good meal. Specially if you are going to take me out fishing! ;D ;D ;D

drstressor
09-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Hey compadrejt. Can you make it to Pyramidfest? I'll get you a ride. 8-)

CJC
09-15-2006, 08:27 PM
LOL, why it's the Doc himself! Did Robert put you up to this? ;D ;D ;D

This is really an honor Doc! Getting a personal invitation from you really makes it hard to refuse. BTW, that was what Robert was trying to do in his post. ;D ;D ;D

I would love to go, but I do have other responsibilities with my 2 teens. If I can break away I'll sure let you know. I have been wanting to meet the bunch of fun loving guys up there and I know it will be great. I really enjoyed the salmon fest.

Farrier_Frank
09-16-2006, 05:16 AM
Compadrejt: Robert and I sat down over a couple of beers the other night and we discussed trying to influence you to come to Pyramid. But I think Doc invited you on his own -- For those of you who haven't met compadrejt trust me it's an experience watching him cook. The only tool he uses is a Chinese cleaver and what he can do with it is magic. [smiley=chowtime.gif]

There will be plenty of seats available jt and we will make sure you catch some fish... unlike fishing with Robert where you were only the net man. ::)

drstressor
09-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Compadrejt, your teenagers would be much happier if you left them alone. ;D

Try to make it to Pyramidfest. It's quite an experience. Oh yeah, bring food. :) 8-)

CJC
09-16-2006, 01:50 PM
For those of you who haven't met compadrejt trust me it's an experience watching him cook. The only tool he uses is a Chinese cleaver and what he can do with it is magic. [smiley=chowtime.gif]

You are making way too much out of the cleaver thing Frank. You are making it so obvious that you have never seen one being used. ;) ;D ;D

I am not going to admit to being the magician with the knife, but I will admit to being someone who knows how so savor good food! [smiley=chowtime.gif] ;D ;D ;D

Compadrejt, your teenagers would be much happier if you left them alone. ;D

Try to make it to Pyramidfest. It's quite an experience. Oh yeah, bring food. :) 8-)

Doc, thank you for the advice. But I thought it was our jobs as parents to make sure they don't get too happy!! [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

I will definitely try to get up there. I already know what I could be missing if I don't go. ;)

drstressor
09-16-2006, 02:33 PM
But I thought it was our jobs as parents to make sure they don't get too happy!!

Yes of course. Thwart them as you see fit. 8-)

robert_long
09-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Hey this is the cooking board >:( lets stick with cooking. By the
way JT if you do come you will have a great time. Your camera
will be busy with the stark beauty of this lake. And you will catch
fish. So whats for dinner Saturday night October 14th JT... You
can tell me I wont let on ;D

Robert

CJC
09-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Hey this is the cooking board >:( lets stick with cooking. By the
way JT if you do come you will have a great time. Your camera
will be busy with the stark beauty of this lake. And you will catch
fish. So whats for dinner Saturday night October 14th JT... You
can tell me I wont let on ;D

Robert

Robert,

I can feel the sniffer warmth in this thread. ;) If I do go, it will be Lahontan cutthroats with ginger and sake. :D ;D ;D

spinfisher
09-20-2006, 02:08 PM
quote:" Lahontan cutthroats with ginger and sake. "

I like cooking with wine, too! Sometimes I even put some in the dish I'm cooking! ;D :D

Farrier_Frank
09-20-2006, 06:57 PM
"Lahontan cutthroats with ginger and sake?" I'll be hanging around your campsite compadrejt. 8-)

Rusty_Hooks
09-20-2006, 07:03 PM
How come this isn't on the potluck thread yet ;)...

Compadrejt...bring the teenagers along....the more the merrier

Chicken is one of my favorites ::)...so is trout ;)

Kneedeep
09-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Compradejt you and I have got to have a cook off. You can cook it and I'll take it off and eat it. ;D ;D ;D I read your post on the salmon fest Compradejt and I can't wait to meet you, hope you can make it to Pyramid. And if you want to go salmon fishing with me your welcome to. Just PM me and we will try to schedule a trip. I live in sacramento. Kneedeep

CJC
09-21-2006, 07:32 AM
I like cooking with wine, too! Sometimes I even put some in the dish I'm cooking! ;D :D

;D I can't drink that stuff, but it can find it's way to my food all the time. Sometning about that alcohol taste in the food. Great stuff. 8-)

"Lahontan cutthroats with ginger and sake?" I'll be hanging around your campsite compadrejt. 8-)
I knew I could always count on you! :D ;D

Compadrejt...bring the teenagers along....the more the merrier

I would. But the trouble is that they don't like fishing and they won't go. :'( :P Now if you guys bring a couple of teen age girls I am sure I can talk them into it. ;D

Compradejt you and I have got to have a cook off. You can cook it and I'll take it off and eat it. ;D ;D ;D I read your post on the salmon fest Compradejt and I can't wait to meet you, hope you can make it to Pyramid. And if you want to go salmon fishing with me your welcome to. Just PM me and we will try to schedule a trip. I live in sacramento. Kneedeep

I am always ready to meet new sniffer friends. Cookoff and fishing? I might just take you up on that offer. ;D ;D ;D