PDA

View Full Version : Eating Amador Trout Raw?

Salvage
01-08-2006, 10:27 PM
My wife refuses to clean fish so tonight I was cleaning and fileting my meager but hard-earned catch. When properly handled, Amador trout filets are wonderful in quality. My family is not fond of eating fish in general so most of my catch goes to the smoker. After wondering for a long time now, I finally gave in and ate a very small piece of raw trout.

It was great; fresher and better tasting than the salmon sashimi that I usually eat in restaurants. When I reported my experiment to my wife she disapproved citing that freshwater fish would be more likely to contain parasites that may be harmful to humans. I commented that the fish that I target are newly released hatchery trout and are less likely to be infected with wild parasites due to being fed hatchery feed. She replied that these fish could be infected during unknown time that they spent in the lake and they are raised from untreated water from the lake.

I am not convinced of her concerns but I am novice to fishing Amador so I am asking for your opinions on if there might be a health risk in eat Amador trout raw. I have bet for a dinner at a local Japanese restaurant riding on the outcome.

Thanks in advance.

Gruman
01-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Thats probably the nastiest thing I have ever read. ;)

fishguts
01-08-2006, 11:15 PM
There is no guarantee that there are no parasites in any freshwater fish even if they were just released. They should all be cooked.

fish4fun
01-09-2006, 12:09 AM
I love fish and sushi, but I wouldn't eat raw pieces of any freshwater trout or kokanee that I catch. Just because it tastes great doesn't mean it's good for you. I also think there are cleaner freshwater fisheries than Amador. Not that Amador is polluted at all, but some rivers and lakes seem cleaner/safer.. Larry

partner
01-09-2006, 02:07 AM
I think a fair question..Does anyone know if the fish have been tested not just for parasites but for mercury or other heavy metals?...DFG, UCDavis other resources are available.

partner

Empire
01-09-2006, 06:00 AM
I eat more than my fair share of shashimi, sushi, and all sorts of cooked/cured/smoked fish. I have never been sick from any of it.

I was at a family function where a salad was served with raw fish in it. I was jazzed to see it, and took a healty portion (what is it with me and my one line puns?). The salad part was good, but the raw fish was nasty. I later found out it was Amador trout.

My experience was quite different than Salvage's, but then maybe it was the dressing that was in the salad.

Regarding the parasites, they can be killed by freezing the fish for a couple of days. Even if not killed they probably wont hurt you.

Salvage-I salute you in your bravery to try something new. I am trying to work up the courage to try some raw Folsom King salmon.

Double_D
01-09-2006, 07:00 AM
My friend owns a restaurant and sushi bar, he has told me in the passed that all his fish has been previously frozen to kill parasites.(spirochetes)are the main parasites found in fish you need to look out for.

jdogg
01-09-2006, 09:49 AM
the sign at qurry lakes says don't even let your dog eat raw trout :-X

drstressor
01-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Canines have a problem with a salmon/trout fluke that contains a particular bacteria. It doesn't infect people. If you are going to eat raw fish, wash it carefully and fillet with a clean knife. Freeze as described above and allow to thaw slowly before eating.

Salvage
01-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Thank you for all the replies. Technically, my wife won the bet since now I cannot completely rule out the risk from eating fresh raw trout. Good suggestion about freezing the meat to kill parasites. I am not concerned about certain contaminants such as mercury or heavy metals since 1) some are linked to contaminated food or 2) persist despite cooking.

My wife has enough concerns for my health to add another source of worry. So probably this is ends my experimental cuisine phase. I should be lucky to have a generous supply of smoked trout that is universally well received among relatives and friends.

SwimswithFishes
01-12-2006, 01:43 PM
A couple of sushi chefs have told me that the only fish really safe to eat raw right out of the water is tuna. *All other fish served in sushi bars have been flash frozen which almost instantly freezes the fish at a temp much lower than your home freezer. *But whay I say for myself? *I've been known to go to Stagnaros at Santa Cruz, buy a chunk of fresh caught salmon and start eating on the spot. *Grosses out the tourists.

PS....If you are going with RAW...stay away from the belly meat.

DinoBlaster
01-19-2006, 05:41 PM
My neighbor even freezes his flour and rice..says it kills the the stuff in that too!! wonder if thats true?

FF_MYRL
02-16-2006, 04:26 PM
MY WIFE GETS ON ME ALL THE TIME FOR EATING RAW FOOD, FISH AND BEEF. IT TASTES GOOD AND I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN SICK. I ALWAYS ASK HER, HOW DID THE CAVEMEN SURVIVE BEFORE THEY HAD FIRE?

BUT I DO NOT EAT ANY RAW BIRDS OR PIGS.

snoose
05-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Well said FF. I believe a lot of our problems come from the preservatives they force us to eat not the raw food. [smiley=duh.gif]
Snoose

FatCat
06-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Properly prepared trout can be really awesome as sashimi but it it is not something I would try on my own.

Just because something is hatchery raised do not mean it is clean. Hatcheries can spread disease around a lot faster than a huge lake.

Home freezers do not reach the tempuratures necessary to kill the more dangerous parasites in any fish! My fisheries prof was extra careful to warn us about that. I do not rememeber the exact temp. necessary but I do know that it is well below 0 F.

The_Big_Sinus
09-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Do web search... I know just a few hours at -40o F will do the trick, but there is a table on the Web out there somewhere, I am sure, that will tell you how long to freeze at what temp for a given quantity of meat...

At some point, if it doesn't freeze quick enough, the quality degrades- sure as if you defrost it in a microwave. So, you'll hit a point of diminishing returns if you can't get your freezer cold enough.

Rocker_of_Trout
09-16-2006, 02:14 PM
id have to say it should be cooked but ive eaten some raw trout from amador and had no reprocussions but i got lucky to me its all up to wether u want to take the chance or not