PDA

View Full Version : Frying fish

JoeTech
06-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Wanted to try and fry some trout and koks. I have them filled buy not sure if I leave the skin on or do I remove. Someone told me to leave the skin on but it seems strange. Any suggestions or recipes?

Thanks

Joetech

drstressor
06-19-2006, 12:55 PM
You don't need to skin or scale trout or kokes. The skin gets nice and crispy and adds a nice "tooth" to the fish.

For recipes, you need to go to the Cooking Your Catch board. And that's where I'm moving the thread.

SuperDave
06-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Adding to what Doc stated, there is room for personal preference. Skin or no skin is okay. A recipe I had recently that tasted pretty good used a powdered almond coating you can get at Trader Joe's. Dip the fish fillet in milk and dredge with the almond powder and fry to desired color on both sides.

johnbfishin
06-19-2006, 07:00 PM
I prefer to skin my kokes or trout for frying. I don't fillet them just gut them in the typical fashion leaving the head on. Turn the fish belly up, snap the head back and peel the skin off.
Dip'em in milk or an egg batter then roll them in corn flake crumbs. This is not crumbs made from the cereal, they are found in the baking section and are better than the cereal.
Also the fish need to be fresh and ice cold for easier skinning. With practice it takes less than a minute to gut & skin.

spinfisher
08-02-2006, 11:43 AM
If the fish is really fresh, the skin side will curl when it fries, and the meat side may not get as crisp as you'd like. I like the skin, so I try to deal with the curling - I fry it on the meat side first, and press it down as it fries. For deep, deep frying, I guess it wouldn't matter. You'd just have trout rolls :)

Macks should not be cooked with the skin on under any circumstances, according to most sources.

The_Big_Sinus
09-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Depends on where you catch the mack... I wouldn't if I felt contaminants were a concern.

I leave the skin on the fillets when grilling, but take skin off for pan frying- curls with skin on. To add "tooth" as doc puts it, I soak in milk briefly, then shake in a plastic bag with breadcrumbs, dill and fresh-ground pepper. I also put the fish on a rack when done frying to keep them crispy.

Works for me...