PDA

View Full Version : Berryessa Kokanee spawn.

Porem
08-06-2014, 08:41 PM
I dug around for this a bit and could not find a answer on the DFW or CIFFI.

Why are the Kokanee planted in Berryessa sterile, and even though they are do they go into a spawning phase and push up the tributaries of Berryessa?

Is it a concern of over population/population control?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Best,
Phil

salmonid
08-06-2014, 09:15 PM

Why are the Kokanee planted in Berryessa sterile, and even though they are do they go into a spawning phase and push up the tributaries of Berryessa?

Best,
Phil

Porem, are you sure that the koke's were sterile and not trout? I'm not too familiar with kokes, but I know triploid trout are often planted since they can attain a large size and can't reproduce (obviously).

Best,

dsa2780
08-06-2014, 09:17 PM
I've always wondered this as well. I'm also curious as to whether the kokes in Pardee that run up to the Moke river arms actually successfully spawn, or is their spawning entirely futile?

Anyone with any knowledge on kokes or other landlocked salmon know?

@Salmonid, I don't know about kokes being sterile but I'm pretty sure the kings in folsom were supposed to be sterile, but then spawning fish were found way up by the old salmon fall bridge in the American river arm a few years back by dive surveyors.

QueenAnnesRevenge
08-07-2014, 06:25 AM
The original Folsom kings weren't sterile the people who planted them thought they would never be able to spawn ( you know, in the natural salmon spawning habitat pre Folsom dam haha) Not all sterile fish end up sterile, and they will try and spawn regardless of their ability to be successful they will go to whatever trib has the best flow and colder water, try and dig a redd pair off and give it their best.
If the river above Pardee isn't completely silted in from years of dam I bet some can still spawn successfully.
The lake is way over populated and any natural spawning only adds to that and is hard to account for when planting next year's crop
Kokes aren't sterile, they do egg takes from them at stampede and Tahoe (you can volunteer and see and learn some cool stuff)

BigUnInDaBoat
08-07-2014, 08:40 AM
For what it is worth the Kokanee in Melones have been spawning since at least 2001 successfully. I don't think they plant sterile kokes, only bows.

Jfitalia
08-07-2014, 09:09 AM

Best,
Phil
The kokanee are not sterile. I think you have them confused with the trout or maybe even Kings. Project kokanee does not plant sterile kokes

Porem
08-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Sorry did not mean to spread misinformation. The way I heard the fishery described made me think they were sterile, in hindsight I guess they were talking about the spawning/ die off cycle.

Porem
08-07-2014, 11:38 AM
So do/will Kokanee be able to reproduce naturally in Berryessa? And do they go through a spawn cycle running up into the creeks.

What is the goal for planting sterile trout and kings? Is it a matter of population control or does it allow for a faster growth rate?

JoeReal
08-07-2014, 11:44 AM
There could be environmental conditions that would make the fish, including kokanee, sterile. Changes in climate, sterile or not sterile, can result in massive die-offs also.

Jfitalia
08-07-2014, 12:05 PM
So do/will Kokanee be able to reproduce naturally in Berryessa? And do they go through a spawn cycle running up into the creeks.

What is the goal for planting sterile trout and kings? Is it a matter of population control or does it allow for a faster growth rate?
The fish do spawn which is why the lake does not get stocked. In fact right now you can catch next year's fish. They tend to hang out above the larger fish.

They plant sterile Kings and trout wroth fear of them getting into the river systems

SwimswithFishes
08-26-2014, 03:56 PM
FYI. CIFFFI and Kokanee Power both pushed the DFG to stop plants at Pardee. The last kokanee plant at Lake Pardee was in 2006. So yes, the kokes have been reproducing naturally for over 8 years now. Every three years, Pardee produces kokes to 17 inches except this year due to the lack of water and food. Now look at Melones where DFG plants nearly 100,000 kokes every year. They are now stunted just like the ones in Pardee. Folks have been trying to stop plants at New Melones. Now look at Whiskeytown. DFG no longer plants Kokes since 2010 however they are reproducing on their own obviously.

I'm not trying to argue but Berryessa DOES gets stocked with Kokanee and Kings every year.
From the Kokanee Power website:
2013 Chinooks 178,000 planted at Berry
2013 Kokanee 49,995 planted at Berry

siguy
08-31-2014, 07:34 PM
Good read.

kabah088
09-25-2014, 10:30 AM
I would have to agree. Good info here:swimmingfish:

Reel Fun
09-29-2014, 03:27 PM
I have seen Koks at Berryessa right where they were dumped in at the ramp trying to spawn? Kokanee still spawn at Camanche and every 3 years they get pretty big but can be caught every year and have not been planted since 96 I think? So I think they do spawn at Berry because they have been doing it at other lakes for sure. Maybe just not as successful as other lakes but I would bet they do?