PDA

View Full Version : Salmon

Ex-member
08-16-2006, 04:29 PM
This recipe was given to me from the chef at Sund's Lodge in BC, Canada:

1 Salmon fillet in a large zip-loc (I vacuum seal it). Equal parts of Soy Sauce and REAL Maple Syrup (I usually use 3/4 cup of each). Add 1 cup fresh diced Ginger. Marinade for 8 hours.

I BBQ it on a cedar plank soaked for at least 4 hours. Cedar plank should be about 1/4" thick.

Keep a spray bottle of water on hand in case the cedar plank goes up in flames. Edges of the fish will blacken slightly - and I put the charred cedar plank right on the table - nice effect.

Best Salmon recipe I've ever cooked or tasted.

SuperDave
08-17-2006, 09:10 AM
How do you vacuum seal a bag full of liquad?

CJC
08-17-2006, 06:28 PM

Put a straw in the opening and squeeze out the air until some liquid comes out. It should not be too messy.

metalmouth
08-17-2006, 07:12 PM
It says Zip-Lock so I'm assuming he's just removing the air with some hand or mouth pressure. My vacuum sealer would suck all of the liquid out of the bag. I did learn to use paper towels to stop up minimal fish blood or moisture when doing fresh fish. Thanks Mickey! I believe the name he had for the process was derived from a feminine hygiene product. ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
08-18-2006, 08:50 AM

Dave. It's spelled (Liquid) not Liquad ;D

SuperDave
08-18-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't care how you spell it, any vacuum sealer is going to suck it all out of the bag. * ;) *Sucking, squeezing, straws or anything else doesn't sound like vacuum sealing to me. * ::) *Just giving you a hard time Ex-Member. * 8-)

CJC
08-18-2006, 12:35 PM
I don't care how you spell it, any vacuum sealer is going to suck it all out of the bag. * ;) *Sucking, squeezing, straws or anything else doesn't sound like vacuum sealing to me. * ::) *Just giving you a hard time Ex-Member. * 8-)
SuperDave,

Vacuum sealing is vacating the air from the bag and then sealing the bag shut. Squeezing the air out is just one method of doing this. There are many ways to skin a cat. *;D ;D ;D (Okay, okay animal lovers! It's just an expression.)

Ex-member
08-18-2006, 10:19 PM

I hang the bag off the edge of the counter - and turn on the sealer until the liquid's about to get sucked out - turn it to "seal only" and done. The zip lock in another way to do it - I just think it marinades better in a vacuum-sealed bag.

I vacuum seal all my marinades . . .

Ex. . . ;)

metalmouth
08-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Well that splains it. ;D Mine will only seal when it can't suck no more.8-)

jethrobfsn
08-19-2006, 04:25 PM
if you use a good vacuum sealer like ex-member, it will pull the season into the fish.

jethrobfsn
08-19-2006, 04:28 PM
on a side note, have any of you found the A-1 seafood marinade? wifey found it and it worked well. we cooked salmon with it on the foreman. yum

SalmonHunter
08-31-2006, 01:37 PM
also vacum sealers u can buy containers that u can marinate meat in liquids and it will still suck the air out i use em all the time for steak on the grill....the containters have a lid with a hose that connects to the sealer to pull the air out