PDA

View Full Version : Anticuchos, original recipe

CJC
08-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Anticuchos

A beef heart skewer, it is a Peruvian classic. If you visit the country you should at least try one. This and their version of ceviche are a must tries and are the favorites in any BBQ party. This is most likely a public domain recipe. It is so popular there.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1232/p10101953nu.jpg

The original recipe is made of beef hart meat. Since my family and kids won’t have anything to do with the beef hearts, I have been making them with regular beef meat as well and they do come out very good. Here it goes.

Ingredients for 6 people:

Skewers:
1 2 lbs of beef harts trimmed from the ligaments and cut in 1 ½” x1 ½” x ½” chunks.
2 2 jalapeno peppers (seeded and ground to a paste. If you can find them use the Peruvian yellow chili (aji) instead. They do have a distinct and more pleasant taste.)
3 2 cloves of garlic, ground to a paste.
4 1 tea spoon of cumin powder.
5 1 tablespoon of achiote powder.
6 4 tablespoons of white vinegar.
7 ¼ cup of beer.
8 Salt to taste. Do not over do it because the chili sauce to be added later has salt also.
Mix all the ingredients and let it marinate for a couple of hours in a cool place.

Sauce:

You could either use a “pico de gallo” sauce or the following sauce on your skewers.

1 8 jalapeno peppers or Peruvian yellow ajies, seeded and ground to a paste.
2 ½ clove of garlic, ground to a paste.
3 8 stalks of green onions (do you call them stalks or heads?). Diced finely.
4 1 stalk of celery, Diced finely
5 ½ cup of cilantro, diced finely.
6 1/3 cup of salad oil.
7 ½ teas spoon of salt.

Mix all the ingredients together and place in a serving bowl.

BBQ

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2807/p10101942uu.jpg

Put the meat on skewers, usually 3 pieces per skewer. Put a generous amount of charcoal in the grill since it requires high heat and the meat cooks really fast. Usually less than 5 minutes per side. I prefer to cook the meat lightly and have a slight pink coloring inside.

Prepare a basting sauce by mixing ¼ cup of the juices from the marinate with ¼ cup of salad oil. The distance between the charcoal and the meat should be about 7”-8” with plenty of air space underneath the charcoal providing a good air flow. Gas grill will produce a different flavor but it may not make a difference to you guys. . I definitely prefer charcoal.

Place the skewers on the grill and baste generously with a brush. A flame will rise up and engulf the skewers and that adds flavor to the skewers. Turn the skewers and repeat this procedure. It is done very quickly and experience may tell you when it is just right for you. Since it depends mainly on how thick you have cut the meat in the skewer I can’t tell you how long you should cook it. But for a ½ “ cut meat at room temperature 3 minutes per side is more than enough to be medium cooked.

Serving

This dish is typically served with boiled potatoes and corn on the cob. Top the pealed potatoes with a bit of the chili sauce.
I like to top my anticuchos with the chili sauce as well. The hotter the better!

Buen provecho guys!

cool_justin
08-27-2006, 07:46 PM
For anyone who hasent tried anticuchos I highly reccomend them. I think its my favorite food to eat in the world. Thanks for the info JT, now I just need to find some bull heart!!!!

FatCat
08-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Yeeeaahhh!!! [smiley=chowtime.gif] Any kind of meat on a stick is my favorite. I thought I had tried it all but now I gotta do up that beef heart! Couple questions, can you phonetically spell that for those of us who are Spanish-impared, and where can I get some beef heart?

CJC
08-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Yeeeaahhh!!! [smiley=chowtime.gif] Any kind of meat on a stick is my favorite. I thought I had tried it all but now I gotta do up that beef heart! Couple questions, can you phonetically spell that for those of us who are Spanish-impared, and where can I get some beef heart?

LOL, it's pronounced ant-tee-coo-chos. Most supermarkets carry it in the southbay. I don't know about other places.

FatCat
08-27-2006, 10:43 PM
;D It's shameful, really, born and raised in CA and the only Spanish I know I learned from watching Sesame Street and sitting in the crowd at Raiders games. I do speak pretty good leacherous/drunken-old-fisherman Japanese, though!

Thank you for the great recipe and the Spanish lesson! I want it to be as authentic as possible so I will wait until I return to civilization and procure some beef heart. I should still have some jalapenos in the garden then.

ITUKAWAL
08-28-2006, 10:23 AM
No doubt FC. Give me a grill, some sticks and some meat and I'm-a-cookin'.

thanks compadrejt for an outstanding receipt.

ITITIT

CJC
08-28-2006, 03:30 PM
;D It's shameful, really, born and raised in CA and the only Spanish I know I learned from watching Sesame Street and sitting in the crowd at Raiders games. I do speak pretty good leacherous/drunken-old-fisherman Japanese, though!

"leacherous/drunken-old-fisherman Japanese"? That's awesome. That's a lot better than what my kids can do. They have a hard time with English alone.
Ever heard some Japanese - Spanish slanguage? ;D ;D ;D

IT and FC,

You are most welcome!

Farrier_Frank
08-28-2006, 07:25 PM
I had a beer this afternoon with IT and he told me about you posting this recipe for beef heart and I just copied it to file. Good one compadrejet... thanks. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CJC
08-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks Farrier_Frank. I really hope you guys enjoy this delicacy. 8-)

SuperDave
08-29-2006, 10:45 AM
What other cut of meat have you found substitutes well for the heart?

CJC
08-29-2006, 10:49 AM
What other cut of meat have you found substitutes well for the heart?

I was using flap and tri-tip. They are both very good substitutes. But in general a soft cut will do. Top sirloin is good also.

SuperDave
08-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Is flank or skirt too thin?

CJC
08-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Is flank or skirt too thin?

Parts of i may be, but you can always double up. It's just easier with a thicker cut. The key is very high heat and that is achieved with plenty of charcoal and the oil on the basting.

cool_justin
08-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Just lookin at the picture make my stomach talk!!!

Hey JT, you need to come to the sniffer poker tournament and cook some of those bad mamas up!!!!!If not I will!!!! ;D

CJC
08-30-2006, 02:02 PM
;D ;D ;D Rizzo ,

That's the weekend after the salmon fest. I don't know if I can do that kind of driving 2 weeks in a row! :o

But that's mighty tempting though. May be I can do that and go get some salmon at the basin too. ;D ;D I'll let you know. Can't promiss anythin right now.