PDA

View Full Version : How to cook Mackerel?

Allen
07-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Went out fishing Bodega for Salmon and ended up with 3 Mackerel. They were ab out 5 pounds each, so we iced them down, fillet them at the docks and brought them home.

Now how do I cook them? ;)

Thanks

Allen

FatCat
07-27-2006, 07:36 AM
I like it Japanese style. Just rub 'em down with some salt (Kosher is best), let 'em sit for 20 minutes or so, grill. Drizzle with some light soy sauce and eat!

Another good way is in a soup. Grill as above and put bit-size chunks in some miso soup spruced up with soy sauce and mirin.

PlugROCKSTAR
07-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Salt & Pepper to taste and grill it.

Allen
07-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. I cut a 5" wide part of one fillet off and sealed/ froze the rest. Removed the dark oily meat along the middle, and soaked it for 30 minutes in teryaki sauce. Melted butter in a fry pan ( BBQ is dead) and gave it about 5 minutes each side.

The smell wasn't appealing to the rest of the family, but it tasted good to me.

Allen

Rusty_Hooks
07-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. I cut a 5" wide part of one fillet off and sealed/ froze the rest. Removed the dark oily meat along the middle, and soaked it for 30 minutes in teryaki sauce. Melted butter in a fry pan ( BBQ is dead) and gave it about 5 minutes each side.

The smell wasn't appealing to the rest of the family, but it tasted good to me.

Allen

That's why I fillet them on the boat and cut them into1 1/2"x10" strips and feed them to the ling cod ;D ;D....the family is much happier with the smell.......so am I ;)

spinfisher
08-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Mackerel need to be still swimming when you cook them, or they taste like mackerel.... :P

Grill with lots of garlic, lemon butter, and throw some capers on when they are on the plate.

Now, for the big tasty mackerel: King, sierra, spanish or whatever (ie Wahoo), they are great grilled with the same recipe, but they taste good in any case. :)