PDA

View Full Version : Union Valley Reservoire?

BigBossBear
08-11-2014, 12:09 PM
We did so well last year while trout fishing from the bank at the damn and at our camp site, but failed to get anything this year anywhere from the bank. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck there and can give me an explanation. Maybe they are deeper due to the low level? Maybe last year they stocked fish and did not stock fish this year? I am going out again for camp with friends this wednesday and would love to catch some trout to roast over the campire if anyone knows a place i can fish powerbait with from shore. Thanks ahead fellas.

Owlman2
08-11-2014, 02:04 PM
I don't know if it is related, but UVR is infested with smallmouth bass. I'm sure they eat smaller trout but don't really know what effect they have on the population of larger stockers.

You could hit the rocky banks and fish for smallmouth....better eating IMHO than hatchery rainbows.

fat fish
08-11-2014, 04:13 PM
No stocks in a few months is probably why you didn't get em on powerbait. Last year the hatchery had cold water to raise trout this year no water or trout.

mikeandkristy
08-14-2014, 05:14 PM
We just got back from camping there and we picked up 32 trout. All caught with the boat pulled up to shore. If you launch at Sunset go left instead of right. Keep going up that little arm until you see the power plant and orange buoys. Fish right from where the last spot a boat could bank back there. If no boat I know there are ways to get back there on foot as we saw people walking down. We were using power eggs and power worms. Didn't really matter what color. Later in the day was best and even better if they are pumping out water. Hope this helps.
Kristy.

Treebeard
08-14-2014, 07:24 PM
If no boat I know there are ways to get back there on foot as we saw people walking down. We were using power eggs and power worms. Didn't really matter what color. Later in the day was best and even better if they are pumping out water. Hope this helps. Kristy.
:oldangryman:
Hey, Kristy, that's my secret spot! :p (kidding)(mostly);)
Yes, it definitely is walkable; I'd only add that actual crawlers work there too, and after sundown has been best for me.

:angling:
TB

BigBossBear
08-17-2014, 09:24 AM
We also just got back from camp, it's a shame I didn't get to see your post until now, thanks again for the advice. Ended up catching about 10 keeper smallmouth there on a span of three days. On another note: there were cows in our campsite! And they kept us up all through the night! I've been going with fam and friends each summer for about 7 years and I never have experienced them being so loud and.annoying. It seemed like they were all targeting fire pits for a source of salts and minerals. They almost have turned nocturnal, getting water at night and sleeping during the day. Does anyone know the details on the cows as in who owns them and why are they being raised there?