PDA

View Full Version : Looking for effective trout Powerbait

LoganKuzyk
08-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Hi,

I am an amateur trout fisherman with bad luck.

I use an "off-the-bottom" rig with 10lbs line and a 6lbs leader (leader is 6lbs so the trout don't see the line, I didn't feel like unraveling my whole reel). The only luck I have had was with a buddy's Gulp salmon roe, so I bought some, but with no success.

Is there really that much difference between the Powerbait dough and eggs?

Jetspray
08-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Hi,

I use an "off-the-bottom" rig with 10lbs line and a 6lbs leeder (leeder is 6lbs so the trout don't see the line, I didn't feel like unraveling my whole reel). The only luck I have had was with a buddy's Gulp salmon roe, so I bought some, but with no success.

Close on the Gulp but what works over here is Orange Pulp or Chartreuse, I also use Gulp eggs orange, chartreuse, or red. I do not have the leader too long as most trout are searching the bottom for snails, leeches, bugs, worms and some of the mosses........Jetspray BTW welcome to the boards.

LoganKuzyk
08-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Close on the Gulp but what works over here is Orange Pulp or Chartreuse, I also use Gulp eggs orange, chartreuse, or red. I do not have the leader too long as most trout are searching the bottom for snails, leeches, bugs, worms and some of the mosses........Jetspray BTW welcome to the boards.
Thanks.

Exactly how long is your leader? When I caught my only trout using off-the-bottom was when I used a FOUR FOOT LONG LEADER. Apparently it was effective, but almost impossible to cast. Now I use a 2ft-ish leader but I would love to hear what you use.

Captain Compassion
08-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Jetspray +1. It sez on the Gulp Label that it out fishes other baits by 55%. I can't argue with that. At places like ICR in late winter and early spring with little weeds an 8 inch leader is called for. Spring to summer depending on bottom up to 2 feet.

BTW welcome to the Sniffer Logan.

CC

Dcheezey
08-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Hi,

I use an "off-the-bottom" rig with 10lbs line and a 6lbs leeder (leeder is 6lbs so the trout don't see the line, I didn't feel like unraveling my whole reel). The only luck I have had was with a buddy's Gulp salmon roe, so I bought some, but with no success.

Where are you fishing? Are you fishing from shore or in a boat?

LoganKuzyk
08-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Where are you fishing? Are you fishing from shore or in a boat?
I fish from a brand new fishing pier on Durrance Lake in Victoria, BC, Canada. Durrance is supposed to be the best rainbow trout fishing lake in the city, my buddy once said that he actually got bored of catching fish in his boat. I have yet to have that luck on the dock.

CAL.NDN
08-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Give the rainbow or yellow power eggs with garlic a try.

LoganKuzyk
08-11-2014, 04:52 PM
With garlic or in garlic scent?

CAL.NDN
08-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Garlic scent

LoganKuzyk
08-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Thank you everybody for your help, I truly appreciate it. This is a great forum and I am looking forward to spending more time perfecting my trout fishing strategy with this forum!

LoganKuzyk
08-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Is this what you're talking about? Gulp!® Floating Salmon Eggs | Berkley® (http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Gulp!%C2%AE-Floating-Salmon-Eggs/1285369,default,pd.html) Why doesn't Berkley just call all of their bait "Powerbait" there seems to be absolutely no difference between the two. I swear they just flip a coin every time they develop new bait to decide if it would be "Powerbait" or "Gulp".

CAL.NDN
08-11-2014, 05:14 PM
No they are the power eggs like power bait

CAL.NDN
08-11-2014, 05:14 PM
That's what we're here for your welcome

CAL.NDN
08-11-2014, 05:18 PM
822594 you can find them any bait shop usually. Or amazon. Berkley rainbow power eggs garlic sent

LoganKuzyk
08-11-2014, 05:26 PM
822594 you can find them any bait shop usually. Or amazon. Berkley rainbow power eggs garlic sent
Thanks, I'll pick them up before I go fishing this evening.

LoganKuzyk
08-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks, I'll pick them up before I go fishing this evening.
I went on my fishing store's website and they all say "Magnum Floating" what does that mean?

CAL.NDN
08-11-2014, 05:34 PM
Yea online I seen that I believe there the same thing. You should try a black or yellow and red panther Martin or a gold or silver and blue kastmaster. Why you soak some bait on one pole that is if you have two rod stamp and if legal where your at.

CAL.NDN
08-11-2014, 05:35 PM
A casting bubble with a wooly bugger works well also in these parts of the world. :)

clarksal
08-11-2014, 05:57 PM
I just picked up trout fishing again a less than three years ago and kind of like you, I wasn't having any luck. Tried Panther Martins, Powerbait, etc. and probably had didn't have my leaders rigged right either. But everytime I went out, I told myself I was working on my casting. And eventually, after reading a lot of posts in this forum and practice, practice, practice, I was getting better.

I typically use a 12 to 24 inch leader, have found that I really like to use a balsa wood slip bobber, and a regular old earthworm with a bit of anise oil on it. As someone posted earlier, if you have a 2 rod license, it's easier to have one rod set up with a worm or Power bait and the other with a Panther Martin or Kastmaster.

-Good luck!

Waterdog
08-11-2014, 06:14 PM
I have been fishing for 50 plus years and have fished more for trout than anything. I could write a book on the subject, but wait, there is a book. It's entitled Trout Tactics by Cal Kellogg. I recently finished reading it and even I learned a lot, and it brought back things I have forgotten. A great and interesting and informative read. Get the book you won't be disappointed.
back to your question briefly, trout may bite on one bait one day and something different the next. This applies also to lures, live baits, flys etc etc.. You need a variety of bait or power bait or what ever and if they don't bite on one thing keep trying different baits until you find what they want. Don't fish the same location, keep moving until you find the glory hole, it is out there. Try different techniques from the way you're doing it now to fishing with a bobber, to a sliding sinker rig and so on and so on. Try lures try worms, salmon eggs, try flys . The more you fish, the better you will be and the more fish you will catch. Never give up.

LookHereJack
08-11-2014, 06:18 PM
For casting I think the eggs are much better. Dough is fine for dead dropping but comes off pretty easily. when the bites slow I go small and will use a 4 weight leader (18-24 inches) instead of my starting 5 weight and have dropped to 3... 6 seems heavy.

No matter what make sure the bait can float your hook... test it before casting out and add an egg or use a smaller, light hook.

Those 2 inch floating power worms aren't bad either and I've mixed and matched.

I also swear by pro-cure scent (night crawler or garlic) but that might just be my superstition... it's like chumming the area

clarksal
08-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Waterdog - well said. I bought Cal's "Trout Tactics" and learned quite a bit. I have pages dog eared and notes made in the margins. I keep that book in my fishing backpack.

That's a good piece of advice from Waterdog!

LoganKuzyk
08-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Can't find any rainbow power eggs in my store, store has rainbow power nuggets. Would those work?

Jetspray
08-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Can't find any rainbow power eggs in my store, store has rainbow power nuggets. Would those work?Cabela's online shopping has what you need. I order Gulp from time to time, but you can find much of what you want here.........Jetspray Berkley® PowerBait® Floating Magnum Eggs : Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fish-Attractant-Bait/Trout-Salmon%7C/pc/104793480/c/104718780/sc/104657580/Berkley174-PowerBait174-Floating-Magnum-Eggs/704354.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftrout-salmon%2F_%2FN-1100363%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104657580%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat10 4793480%253Bcat104718780&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104718780%3Bcat1 04657580)

Jetspray
08-11-2014, 07:24 PM
This is Gulp dough, you can use it too. We purchase most of our stuff at WalMart here in Gardnerville NV because it is cheaper than shipping, they have both the dough and eggs........Jetspray Berkley® Gulp!® Trout Dough : Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fish-Attractant-Bait/Trout-Salmon%7C/pc/104793480/c/104718780/sc/104657580/Berkley174-Gulp174-Trout-Dough/703736.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftrout-salmon%2F_%2FN-1100363%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104657580%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 93480%253Bcat104718780&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104718780%3Bcat104 657580)

CAL.NDN
08-12-2014, 03:38 AM
I don't like the nuggets.

CAL.NDN
08-12-2014, 03:44 AM
Like water dog said have a variety I have stuff that hardly gets used but sometimes the serve a purpose when nothing else works.

LoganKuzyk
08-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Like water dog said have a variety I have stuff that hardly gets used but sometimes the serve a purpose when nothing else works.
That's interesting, how long are your fishing sessions? Or how long until you know the bait isn't working?

Cali Duck
08-12-2014, 08:01 AM
When I started trout fishing, I never realized I was missing tons of bites because I'd just set my pole on a rod holder and watch the tip...

I found more success in this technique/rig:

6lb Main line with a sliding egg sinker to a barrelswivel. 4lb Leader about 18"-30" long to a small #8 or #10 hook with either an inflated nightcrawler, chartreuse powerbait, or white garlic scented powereggs.

After casting, let your bait sit, take up the slack, then try to balance the rod on two fingers, so if a strike happens, the rod will dip ever so slightly, then SET THE HOOK.

It will involve a lot of trial/error, snags, and lost tackle. Fortunately trout tackle is cheap and you can pre-tie your rigs before heading out to maximize fishing time.

Just my 2 cents, hope you land some fish! And when you do, share the pics here so we can feel better about the advice given :D

PS: Welcome to the sniffer eh!

LoganKuzyk
08-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Okay, so taking everybody's advice, I will be getting Berkley Gulp! Trout Dough Bait, Natural Garlic | Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/berkley-153-gulp-153-trout-dough-bait-natural-garlic-1781521p.html#.U-o6qvldUy4), and I will continue using my Powereggs Bubblegum that I got a while back.

Thanks to everybody who contributed!

Cali Duck
08-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Okay, so taking everybody's advice, I will be getting Berkley Gulp! Trout Dough Bait, Natural Garlic | Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/berkley-153-gulp-153-trout-dough-bait-natural-garlic-1781521p.html#.U-o6qvldUy4), and I will continue using my Powereggs Bubblegum that I got a while back.

Thanks to everybody who contributed!

I'm not a fan of gulp...that stuff disintegrates and falls off...even after wetting it. Just my preference..might keep some powerbait on hand just in case

bpowa
08-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Can't find any rainbow power eggs in my store, store has rainbow power nuggets. Would those work?

18" leader 4lb florocarbon with #12 hook (test to make sure the bait floats. If it does not use one size smaller hook.

Micetail powerbait. orange tail with chartreuse head. . with 1/2 ounce egg slider weight. cast and let it sit.

FresnoJack
08-12-2014, 09:15 AM
You might want to try stepping down on your leader - 4 or even 2 pound. A good flurocarbon.

Hi,

I use an "off-the-bottom" rig with 10lbs line and a 6lbs leader (leader is 6lbs so the trout don't see the line, I didn't feel like unraveling my whole reel). The only luck I have had was with a buddy's Gulp salmon roe, so I bought some, but with no success.

Plug-n-Jug
08-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Dont forget to try Berkley power worms. They are 3" long and come in many colors. My favorite way to rig them is with 4lb line. Slide on a small egg weight then tie on a small #8 or 10 hook. Take a small bb splitshot and put it between the egg weight and the hook. You can adjust the splitshot up or down the line depending on the weeds on the bottom. take a white Power egg and run it up the hook then "wacky style" (running the hook through the middle of the worm so both ends are free and will move with any current) a different color worm. Then add another white egg. Change egg and worm color combos untill you find what they like. Dip this rig in the water to make sure it floats off the bottom. Cast out and when the egg weight hits the bottom reel in till you feel the splitshot hit the egg weight, sit back and have a beer.

Brickinthewall98
08-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Wat ever bait you use i like to add a mice tail or power worm. And i like to leave slack line when the rod is in the holder and i watch that.

CAL.NDN
08-12-2014, 10:22 AM
From an hour to all day at times. If it ain't working in a half hour change up.

CAL.NDN
08-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Yep more of my bigger trout have came off mice tail or crawler don't get hit as often as eggs but usually the big guys can't pass them up.

Captain Compassion
08-12-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm not a fan of gulp...that stuff disintegrates and falls off...even after wetting it. Just my preference..might keep some powerbait on hand just in case

Fair analysis. The answer is Power Gulp. Put a small amount of Powerbait on the hook than surround it with Gulp. It will stay on the hook a little longer and won't come off as often on the cast.:smiley:

CC

jakefield
08-12-2014, 12:22 PM
We fish yearly up in the lakes basin area (Salmon, Sardine and sometimes Gold Lake) and we slay them with 4 lb test to bullet sinker, to smallest swivel with 2 lb test leader with a 16 or 18 gauge treble with barbs snipped off. Rainbow powerbait.

smtireman
10-04-2014, 01:22 PM
sorry if this is late to this thread but with mice tails, I've found that you need to let them take some line before you set. The trout in our area take the bait and run then eat. If you wait unlike with powerbait you can get a hookset and fish on.

I'm a bank fisher and we use a bobber with a snap swivel on our line one or two guides down from the tip after casting and letting the line settle as a fish bite indicator. Hang the bobber on the line between guides and pull it down to let it hang a foot or so... when the trout takes the bait the bobber climbs, by the time you remove the bobber you can set the hook.

works well in for our fishing. just my two cents... another trick to try...

stefanoflo
10-04-2014, 03:23 PM
worms with marshmallows on the hook tip or shank eye
slays them all day long

alucardbear
10-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Floating nightcrawlers and some power eggs. That works just about anywhere.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

CAL916BEAR
10-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Also I dont know if anybody mentioned but dont cast as far as you possibly can. Especially up north where the water is cooler trout will be cruising the shoreline in search if food. One big misconception is casting out far, 90% or more of my fish come within 15ft of the bank.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Fish_For_It
10-05-2014, 02:50 PM
If we get a couple more pages of great suggestions, someone can write a book off this forum. Don't be afraid to try different color baits and brands. I almost have to have a separate backpack just to carry my jars and bags of bait. I am always buying a new one at the store that looks promising. Hence the reason Power Bait comes in so darn many colors. With all of this information, you can't go wrong and we all wait for your next fishing post.

Treebeard
10-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Also I dont know if anybody mentioned but dont cast as far as you possibly can. Especially up north where the water is cooler trout will be cruising the shoreline in search if food. One big misconception is casting out far, 90% or more of my fish come within 15ft of the bank.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
Right on. In lakes, sometimes I catch more with a hand-thrown line than other people right next to me, probably because I can't cast out nearly as far. That happens more often in the evening, it seems. There have been times when I thought I completely blew my shot and only went out 5 or 10 feet, so started to rewind quickly for another farther cast, but suddenly felt like I was snagged... when actually I was the snagger! ;-)

On the other hand, there are many times when getting it out there works best - just depends are where the fish are feeding... the real message here is don't limit yourself to just one technique.

TB

Treebeard
10-05-2014, 05:01 PM
One more thing that comes from hand-spooling it at the bank: my main line floats to some degree, but I use a #4 hook with a big night crawler, which sinks but not too fast. When I cast out into deep water, as soon as the bait hits the surface I spool out yards of slack - so from the spot where I hit to the shore, I can see my line floating... and I can see the rate of descent by how fast the slack is being taken up. It's usually pretty steady in calm waters. I keep reeling off slack until the bait stops descending, which I know because it stops sucking down the slack. After that, the point where my line enters the water starts moving closer to me as the line sinks, and that should be at a fairly constant rate. But there's still some slack left on the water at my feet, and I keep my eye on that water-entry spot. That's the way it is if nothing disturbs the line. But if a fish grabs my bait even gently, the rate of sinking/etc will increase if the fish runs away or down; or will actually slow if he's rising or coming toward me. Either way, I know I've had a hit, before I would have felt anything on the line.

Treebeard

panther
10-05-2014, 05:31 PM
There has been a lot of good advice here. I'll second that you generally don't have to cast too far from the shore (as long as there is a drop off, not a shallow flat). We all use lures (or in this case bait) that we have confidence in. If you want to use dough bait, I suggest that you buy 3 jars of different colors and scents. If you are using one rod, fish about 30 minutes with one jar. If you get no strikes, move along the shoreline and fish with a different color for 30 minutes, etc. When you hook something, you will begin to have confidence in that bait and will want to continue to fish with it.

When fishing with dough baits, I sometimes use an 18 inch leader and sometimes a 36 inch leader. Trout are going to notice bait just a little above them, so a 36 inch leader is not too long.

Don't overlook Zeke's Sierra Gold. It is really good stuff. For Power Bait, I prefer Garlic and Salmon Peach. With Zeke's, I really like the white. Just got back from fishing two weeks in the Eastern Sierras. Spent 7 of the days at lakes and caught 8 Alpers. 4 of the 8 were on Zeke's, even though I used it less often than Power Bait.

Keep trying. Don't give up. You will develop confidence in a particular bait, and it will start producing fish for you.

TroutGhost
10-14-2014, 05:22 AM
Caught my limit last week in shallow water (1-3 feet) using a split shot (about bb size), mice tail and #12 light wire dry fly hook threaded on with a worm threader. Tossed it out then very slowly reeled it back. The movement is what got them interested. Make sure the hook is protruding a half inch behind the round head. Any further back seemed to kill the tail action and resulted in less strikes. Because the water was so shallow I decided to float the worm about six to eight inches.

A worm threader, while not absolutely necessary, is a great tool if you're using mice tails, gets it rigged up in a flash.

Personally I think things like worm tails and powerbait work mostly on stocked trout, especially if you're not jigging it but just letting it soak. When soaking they seem to work better during windy days and I think it's because the wind imparts movement.

I've caught catfish and bass on worm tails but only when imparting movement to them to make them lifelike. Brown trout seem to be more finicky and respond well to movement. Stocked rainbows are biting soaked non-movement mice tails because they're hungry, don't know what to eat and are trying just about anything. Seems like a soaked trout worm works best a few weeks after stocking. Jigged/slow retrieved works well anytime but especially well after recently being stocked.

As stated elsewhere, make sure your rig floats. Switch to a smaller or lighter hook if it doesn't. Lighter/thinner hooks penetrate easier than a thicker hook, which is why I use dry fly hooks. Fish oils that come in a pill form (check your pharmacy) work great for attraction power.

I've been playing around with fly fishing stuff and that just opened a whole other dimension to fishing with different variables like ambient light, stealth, differences between Stillwater and and moving water, dry, emerger or wet flies... Welcome to one of the best hobbies around! It's great for the mind, mental health and body fitness, too.