PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Pork Sandwiches (Modified Betty Crocker)

gnatt
07-02-2006, 05:02 PM
For Frank the Farrier and anyone else who is brave enough to trust my modification of this "borrowed" recipe from Mrs. Red and White Plaid:

Frank, Just got back from vacation today...got your message, but I don't have your phone number and the Johnsonís are MIA. * *Hope you get this. *

Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Root Beer Sauce:

Mrs. Red and White Plaid suggests doing these steps, but I typically skip them because I'm usually in a hurry:
- Trim fat from a 2 1/2 - to 3-pound pork roast
- Cut meat to fit into a 3 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker
- Sprinkle meet with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- Brown on all sides in 1 T cooking oil
- Drain fat

Here's where I kind of start Mrs. Red and White Plaid's recipe:
- Transfer meat to slow cooker
- Add 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- Add 1 cup of root beer (NOT DIET)
- Add 2 T minced garlic (If you like garlic like I do, cut-up 4 big fresh cloves...or more)
- Cover and cook on low-heat for 8-10 hours or high-heat for 4-5 *(I cooked for 7 hrs and it came out fine)

For sauce (This is where I deviate from Mrs. Red and White Plaid):

In Sauce Pan, combine:
- 3 cups root beer (NOT DIET)
- 1 cup of your favorite store-purchased or home-made BBQ sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped onions (strain them out later)
- 1-2 T hot sauce (or not, if you don't like spicy)
Boil gently about 30 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 2 cups.

Making the sandwiches:
- When meat is done, transfer to cutting board or oven safe plate/bowl
- Use a couple of big forks to pull meat apart into shreds
- Mix some of the sauce with the meat so that the meat slightly sticks to itself.
- Keep warm
- Prepare fixings (Tomato, lettuce, onion, etc. or just make a salad, maybe some baked beans).
- Toast the hamburger buns.
- Spoon shredded pork on toasted hamburger bun.
- Poor some of your favorite BBQ sauce on top.
- Add sliced fixings
- You can also dip the sandwiches in the sauce as your eating them if you wish.

Happy 4th,
Natalie

Farrier_Frank
07-03-2006, 08:01 AM
LOL, gnat. I fell asleep in my easy chair, waiting for you to call back yesterday afternoon. When I woke up and saw the pork tri tip still sitting on the counter I put it in the crock pot and threw in a can of root beer (not diet) and figured what the heck, that was a start and maybe you'd call back. I never dreamed you would post the recipe here. So I had sliced root beer pork over rice; nothing to write home about but it made Meatloaf happy since he gets the rest of it.

I'm heading to the market today so I'll buy another pork roast (probably a Boston butt; the tri tip was to lean) and test your recipe tomorrow while I'm at work.

Thanks Natalie... or gnat. You know I'm gonna call you gnat next time we work together. [smiley=bananadevil.gif]