PDA

View Full Version : I need a good fish & chip batter!

Klamdog
03-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Is anyone willing to share a good fish and chip batter mix recipe? *I sure would appreciate it! *Thanks in advance! :)

Double_D
03-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Is anyone willing to share a good fish and chip batter mix recipe? *I sure would appreciate it! *Thanks in advance! :)

Klamdog...this is how they cook fish and chips at the Stadium Sports Bar in Walnut Creek:

Get a beer, Bud works fine, open the can or bottle and let it sit till it gets flat then pour into a bowl, then get a whisker and whisk all the carbonation out of the beer, add flower till it's not to thick and not to runny, add some salt, dip fish in batter then drop into oil at 375 cook till golden brown.......what makes it good, is it's simple

SuperDave
03-06-2006, 09:21 PM
That sounds like a great base. the cook in me would want to add a dash of herbs and/or garlic. Klamdog, what variety of fish are you ging to use?

zinger
03-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Boy i could sure go for some fish and chips right now. Everytime I get on this board i start drooling.
[smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=tongue2.gif]

zinger

SuperDave
03-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Now if I only knew how the place in Bodega bay made their tartar sauce. It is real tangy and appears to have larger than normal chunks of red onion in it.

MB_Kevin
03-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Sounds good DD but I would add some more spice also. ;)

Klamdog
03-07-2006, 08:28 PM
DD,
Thanks! *It sounds good to me! *I'll try it your way, and add some spice, then compare!
If nothing else, I'll drink the batter! *Nothing like a warm, flat bud! *And Hinrid, I have a couple different kinds of rock fish still frozen from a Bodega Bay party boat trip last year. *I was thinking that would probably be a good way to use it now!

Double_D
03-07-2006, 11:40 PM
The main thing is to make sure the beer is flat......by all means add your spices to it....just that in a sports bar they just try to keep it simple some people like this spice and some like that spice, so they just try to make it middle of the the road so all there customers will be happy, I like drowning my fish in the malt vinegar :P

and since you have just made all that batter and you have all that hot oil get an onion and make onion rings :P

Fish_R_Us
06-05-2006, 03:05 PM
I was always told that the flour needed to be self-rising flour. I've tried both ways - couldn't tell the difference. Both ways very tasty. Also pat your filets dry, prior to dipping into batter - it sticks better to the filets.

kromebrite
06-11-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm doing a fish fry for fathers day next weekned, thanks for the idea. I wonder if using a porter or a pale ale would make a stronger flavor?

I'm thinking salt, pepper, dill and a pinch of basil might be interesting.

*Deltadog*
06-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Tempura batter like the chinese restaurants use is some killer stuff. Make it thick, mix it with a little less water than recommended.
Dog

Trout_Terminator
06-14-2006, 02:56 PM
how do you cook with hot oil and get it to that temp? and please tell me a simple way so that i wont brun my house down :o. also, are there rules to the type of fish that i can use for making fish and chips?

Double_D
06-14-2006, 09:19 PM
how do you cook with hot oil and get it to that temp? and please tell me a simple way so that i wont brun my house down *:o. also, are there rules to the type of fish that i can use for making fish and chips?

get a frying thermometer, or check out Target or go to there web site and look up Deep Fryers......they have them from $25 to $100

ghostfish_slayer
06-14-2006, 11:44 PM
i have eaten some of DD's deep fried food it is good.my mouth is watering thinking about it now..bring that fryer to the cliffs in the sky this year DD.

kromebrite
06-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Tried the "flat beer" idea and it works VERY well. Not sure why, but it made for a better batter(say that five times fast).

Don
06-19-2006, 05:09 PM
We use McCormick Golden Dip Lots of diffrent ones.We use the Cajun Style,They also have a beer batter also.Depense on what you like.Plus it is a good start if you want to add to it. Just remember some people like dogs,And some people like cats.Meaning depends on your tast.GOOD STUFF, STRIPER FISH AND CHIPS
Don