PDA

View Full Version : Fish cheeks

Empire
04-16-2006, 06:08 AM
My wife and I ate at a fancy restaraunt a couple of days ago. One of the specials was halibut. The waitress said the dish is 3 large halibut cheeks. I have never eaten fish cheeks before, so I ordered it. Being a wise arse that I am, I told the waitress "I would like the butt-cheeks." I dont think she saw the humor.

It was pretty good. Each cheek was the size of a computer mouse, so I am guessing the 'buts were pretty large. The flavor was very mild, and the texture was more stringy than regular halibut.

Anyone else ever eat fish cheeks?
BTW-The restaraunt was the Slocum House in Fair Oaks.

cuhogn
04-16-2006, 07:25 AM
Yes, we will take them out of the larger fish we catch, butts, stripers, lings, not as big as you had but still very good eating ;)

drstressor
04-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Halibut cheeks, as you found out, tend to be rather tough. On the other hand, cheeks from large salmon melt in your mouth like butter. Halibut cheeks are great for chowder since they hold together better than fillets.

I'm surprised that the waitress didn't get you sexual harassment. ;)

Crazy_Angler
04-16-2006, 07:00 PM
wow, never heard of it. :o

metalmouth
04-17-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm surprised that the waitress didn't get you sexual harassment.

I'm suprised Empire's wife didn't get him for sexual harassment.

MM 8-) ;D 8-)

SturgeonVirgin
04-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Couple years ago salmon fishing out of Meridian on the sac river, we came back to the landing with limits for all three guys. Cleaing the fish, a guy came up and asked if he could have the cheeks; sure we said, this guy went after them like a mad dog. Ate them raw right then and there. One of the guys i was with had one of them said it was great.

Empire
04-22-2006, 06:35 AM
Ate them raw right then and there. One of the guys i was with had one of them said it was great.

That would be a sight to see! I suppose I would try it right out of the fishes mouth if someone else went first.

Fin
05-04-2006, 11:33 AM
How do you "harvest" the cheeks? Seems like it would be a tough peice of head to cut through to get to them. Any info? I've been wondering about this for a while.

ITUKAWAL
05-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Went to a nice restrurant in Kenai a couple of years ago and had butt cheeks and salmon. I was impressed. mmmmmmmmmmmmm *good.

[smiley=tomato.gif]

Empire
05-09-2006, 05:36 AM
How do you "harvest" the cheeks? *Seems like it would be a tough peice of head to cut through to get to them. *Any info? *I've been wondering about this for *a while.

Good question. Next time I am gutting a trout I am going to cut the head apart to see where the cheeks are.

Just letting the biologist in me come out for a while.

drstressor
05-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Trout generally don't have enough meat in the cheeks to make it worth while. With larger fish like salmon or halibut, you just feel for the soft patch of tissue (muscle) in front of the gill plates and make a circular cut with a sharp knife. After lifting out the cheek, turn it skin side down and fillet the meat off. You end up with 2 bite sized pieces per fish.

209richie
05-09-2006, 07:57 AM
How do you "harvest" the cheeks? *Seems like it would be a tough peice of head to cut through to get to them. *Any info? *I've been wondering about this for *a while.
I make soup out of the head when the soup is all done cooking all your left with if the skull you could ad shrimp,oysters,crab it comes out great some times when I catch a five pound striper ill chop him up in to stakes and make soup out of him.I eat every thing but the gills and guts

ITUKAWAL
05-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Richie, how 'bout those little DF&G tag ya find every so often.

How's that taste in the soup *;) ;)

It was good to see ya this weekend.

ITITIT

209richie
05-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Richie, how 'bout those little DF&G tag ya find every so often.

How's that taste in the soup *;) ;)

It was good to see ya this weekend.

ITITIT
LOL Depends how old they are... it ads flavor to the soup

SwimswithFishes
05-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Japanese restaurants offer cheeks on their menus...it's called kama. The best to me is the hamachi kama....yellowtail tuna cheeks. You can broil them with some eel sauce or teriyaki. Just broil the entire cheeks. And then ...enjoy

FatCat
05-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Cod cheeks are my favorite! You can buy them at the better grocery stores and are much cheaper than fillets. They are quite tender and buttery. I usually fry them up for fish tacos!

Also, if you go on party boats, they usually don't mind if you pick out the cheeks after they clean everyones' catch. Great way to increase your haul!

Speaking of fish tacos, I just got an idea for a new thread...