PDA

View Full Version : Cooking,cleaning,eating crawdads

fishguts
01-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Last year I saw this nice couple go out in a kodiaka nd put out crawdad traps and that got me thinking that I would like to try this, so this year I am going to put out crawdad traps when I go fishing so this is one adventure I could use a litte expertese in. The cooking, cleaning and eating part, I've got the catching part figured out.

Trout_Terminator
01-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, i have only read about it, but as for cleaning them, you put them in a pucket of water, so they can spit out all of the grit. then for cookin them, i would say boil them like a lobster. when they are done, they float. well, thats all i know about it, sorry couldent be more help :-/

DinoBlaster
01-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Hey fishguts try this link, I tried the way they clean and cook them and think its the best way..atleast for me http://themasterbaiter.tripod.com/id5.html good eats..I even have a live crawdad storage center at my house If your are interested in pictures/(how it is consrtucted)let me know I can keep around 150 dads alive year round DB P.S. killer bait for Sturgeon/Striper too!! ;D

CJC
01-14-2006, 09:18 PM
You can use crawdads for sturgeon? Can you use them in the bay also?

marine47
01-14-2006, 09:29 PM
growing up we would go to out around the airport and get tons of crawdads, we would clean them up in fresh water and peel the tails, we would then put a ton of them on small sticks, my grandma would then bread them and bake them, they were excellent, it just takes a million of those things to feed the family

fishguts
01-14-2006, 11:09 PM
If I understand this correctly, after I catch them I would soak them in a bucket of fresh water, take the tails off and cook the tails or throw the whole c-dad in the pot?

metalmouth
01-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Recipes Borrowed From Zatarains: ;)

ZATARAIN'S EASY BOILED CRAWFISH

3 quarts of water
4 lbs of crawfish
4 TBS salt
1 bag of Zatarain's 3 oz Crab Boil
1 lemon, quartered
Cayenne pepper to taste
"Bring water mix to a boil. Add seafood and bring to a boil. Boil crawfish vigorously for 15 minutes. Allow crayfish to remain in water five minutes after boiling."

Here is another Cajun recipe that is also popular.

BOILED CRAWFISH

15 quarts of water
10 pounds LIVE crawfish
2 large onions
1 bunch celery, rinsed well
4 ears sweet corn
4 medium sized red potatoes
1/4 cup salt
1/8 cup black pepper
4 to 6 whole bay leaves
1/8 cup Cheyenne pepper
1 cup melted butter for corn and potatoes
Clean spring water or broth
Tabasco sauce to taste

"Use a clean 20 quart pot. Fill pot to 3/4 full with water. Add onions, potatoes, celery, corn, salt, black pepper, Cheyenne pepper and bay leaves. Bring pot to a full rolling boil. While pot is coming to a boil, repeatedly soak crawfish alternately with salted water and plain water for about five minutes each until water is clean when drained. When the pot reaches a full rolling boil, add crawfish and cover until the pot returns to a full rolling boil. Continue cooking for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain pot and pour cooked crayfish onto a very large platter. Jump in and start eating. Serve with melted butter for the corn and potatoes. Add Tabasco sauce according to taste. Drink your favorite ice cold beverage with this feast!"

MM 8) ;D 8)

fishguts
01-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Both those recipes sound great. Do you have to move the c-dads from fresh to salt water even if you collected them from a lake?

metalmouth
01-15-2006, 12:23 PM
FG, It seem to clean out the Craws. You start with a mudbug that appears clean on the outside, but keep changing the water till the water is clear. I would say it is cleaning the Craw out of the debris it contains.
This recipe works good with any of the crab or shrimp boils. You can also use cayenne and any of the creole seasonings.
MM :o ;D :o

Farrier_Frank
01-16-2006, 09:22 PM
There is a never-ending list of receipts for cooking crawdads: You can boil them, fry them, and bake them... But if your want the best eating crawdads boil them up over the camp fire the day you catch them, dip them in a little drawn butter, and lay back and enjoy life. 8)

levelwined
01-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Soak them in fresh water with a bunch of salt the salt helps flush thier mud vane out..Boil them in cajon crab boil with potato's and chunks of corn on the cob cover with tony saturey. Peel and eat with a case of beer... Cause if you did it rite your lips will be burning when your done.

fishguts
01-18-2006, 11:38 PM
All these recipes sound awesome, I can't wait to give it a try.

mtalley
02-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Where's Mudbug? He usually has a lot to say on this subject.

fishguts
03-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Mudbug where are you? You are wise in the ways of the this tasty crustaceon. [smiley=computer.gif] Come out, come out where ever you are.

Diego916
03-28-2006, 04:30 PM
1/2 cup of rock salt (important)

1/2 cup of sugar (important)

Enough crayfish to be completely covered with the amount of water used.

Boil crayfish for 10 minutes then soak in the same water for 30 minutes. Sample the crayfish every now and then to check for salt content. Shell and eat with butter.

Crawfish Pasta

1 pound crawfish tail meat, boiled and peeled
1 stick butter (no margarine)
2-3 tbsp flour
1-pint heavy cream
2-8 green onions, chopped
2-10 cloves garlic, finely minced (I like closer to 10)
Creole seasoning, to taste
1 pound, cooked fresh pasta
Serves 4 adults

Melt butter in pot; add flour and stir constantly until you have a light to medium blonde roux. Add onions and garlic and sauté until tender and keep stirring.

Add the crawfish and sauté for another 2 minutes.

Add half of the heavy cream and a couple of big pinches of the Creole seasoning to taste, continue to add the cream until your desired consistency is achieved.

Continue to cook over medium heat for another 5-10 minutes until the sauce thickens.

Pour sauce over pasta and serve immediately with lots of French bread and maybe some nice white wine.

Crawfish Etouffee

8 tbsp butter (1 stick, absolutely no margarine)
1-pound crawfish tail meat (with the fat if possible)
˝-1 medium white onion, finely minced
2-10 cloves garlic, finely minced
2-4 tbsp orange bell pepper, finely minced
˝ stalk celery, finely minced
Green onion tops, chopped
Fresh parsley
2 tbsp tomato paste
Creole seasoning, to taste
2-3 tbsp flour
1-2 cups of water
White cooking wine
Serves 2-4 adults

Melt the butter in a pot and add the flour make a light to medium blonde roux. Add onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic and sauté until tender and keep stirring.

Add tomato paste, wine and crawfish fat if available then stir in until well blended, add water a little bit at a time, stirring constantly until desired consistency is achieved then stir in Creole seasoning and cook over medium low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, add more water if it gets to thick.

Stir in crawfish meat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, be careful not to cook the crawfish too long or they will get a little tough.

Serve over fully cooked white or long grain brown rice then garnish it with the chopped green onion tops and parsley.

CRAYFISH THAI RED CURRY

serves 4
1lb crayfish tail meat -pre boiled
2 fresh chillis -sliced into circles
2 dried caynne peppers -crushed and roughly chopped
1 pint of double cream
1-2 tbsp of clear honey
1/2 stalk of lemon grass -finely chopped
4-8 cloves of garlic
stem of ginger -finely chopped
2-3 shallots -finely chopped
olive oil virgin or not is fine

1. Soften the lemon grass, ginger, garlic, shallots and chillis (including
the dried ones). In some olive oil in a wok or frying pan.

2. when softened add the crayfish and fry for 1-2 mins then add the cream
and honey and let it reduce by a quater.

3. server with rice or cous cous and oven roasted veg. Maybe peppers,
aubergines and courgettes.

Enjoy it couldn't be simpler.

metalmouth
03-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Diego, you rock buddy. I just picked up 4 new Frabill Cdaddy traps. I've got dads less than 20 miles from the kitchen. Can't wait to start sampling the bugs.
MM 8-) ;) 8-)

metalmouth
04-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Kneedeep, I'd never heard about the purple onions or purging them with flour. Thanks for the info I'll be giving both of those a try. ;)

MM

Empire
05-09-2006, 05:44 AM
When I was a kid we would catch crawfish from under rocks. After we had a bucketfull we would just pitch them into boiling water for a while, until they were red.

When done, we took them out of the water, pinched the tail off and ate the meat out of there. With a little melted butter they were pretty good!

I was out dove hunting a few years back near some rice fields. One of the irrigation ditches was full of water, and choked with crawfish. They were crawling all over the place by the hundreds. I asked one of the locals why he does not catch/eat them and he said they are contanimated with the agricultural insecticides used on the rice patties.

Good sturgeon bait I guess, but I would not want to get sick.