PDA

View Full Version : Fish Smoking Dry Rub Recipes?

metalmouth
01-20-2006, 07:05 AM
Any suggestions for a Dry Rub recipe for smoked salmon? I know Doc has a good one, because everyone, that was at the Pyramidfest, raved about it. I know these are your secret recipes, so I promise not to tell. ;D
MM

CJC
01-20-2006, 04:21 PM
It seems like you'll have to go to the Pyramidfest to find out!! ;D

CJC
01-23-2006, 07:14 PM
I thought you were kidding when you said there were secret recipes. I guess there are people that would keep such things a secret. I could not understand the reason behind it, but I am witnessing one. LOL.

drstressor
01-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Back off guys! ;) I don't read this forum very often. I'll post my 2 favorite dry rub recipes when I get home tomorrow.

CJC
01-24-2006, 02:09 AM
Doc,
To avoid misunderstandings, I was not refering to this thread. I had no reasons to assume that anyone had a recipe for this and did not want to share.

metalmouth
01-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks Doc, that was the reply I was hoping for. ;)
MM

drstressor
01-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Here’s how I smoke salmon and trout:

1. Bleed the salmon or trout on the boat and chill down ASAP.

2. Fillet the fish and remove the ribs and back bone for a nice presentation. Leave the pin bones between the back bone and skin in place or the fillet will look shoddy.

3. Make a dry cure as follows:

(Pyramidfest recipe)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup Kosher salt
3 tablespoons granulated garlic powder
3 tablespoons granulated onion powder
1 tablespoon dill weed
1 tablespoon dried savory
1 tablespoon dried tarragon

(a simpler recipe that I like better for trout)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup Kosher salt
a couple of crushed garlic cloves

4. Lay the fillets skin side down in a ceramic (non metal) tray and cover with the dry cure to a depth of at least 1/4 inch. Put in the fridge for 3 hr. (I have gone over night with good results) The cure will draw a lot of liquid from the fish and the salt and sugar pretty much dissolves.

5. Remove from the fridge and rinse the fillets thoroughly with cold tap water. Don't blot them dry. You want a little water on the meat to pull some salt and protein to the surface. Place the fillets on a stainless steel rack and put them back in the fridge for at least 1 hr (or over night) without a cover and let the pellicle form on the surface of the meat.

6. Make up a final oil coat as follows:

1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup peanut oil
1 glove pressed or minced garlic
2 dashes of Tabasco sauce
1 dash of turmeric

Coat the meat side of each fillet with this oil mixture using a brush. Sprinkle on course ground black and white pepper to taste. (I use a lot with about a 50:50 mixture of each).

7. Smoke for 3-4 hr at 150 - 200 degrees using a 90% alder and 10% hickory blend. Cut back on the hickory if you like a milder smoke flavor.

8. Allow to cool in the fridge and then either wrap in saran or use a vacuum sealer. Hold in the fridge for at least 24 hr before serving in order to let the flavors meld. The fillets hold up for 2 weeks in the fridge and for over a year if vacuum sealed and frozen.

metalmouth
01-25-2006, 07:09 AM
MMMMMMMMMMM Thanks Doc :D :D :D :D

Maz
01-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Doc,
Cant wait to try it.
Do you smoke with any water or another liquid in the smoker.
Thanks,
Maz

drstressor
01-25-2006, 12:01 PM
I use plain water in a Smokey Mountain gas smoker.

I have used several smokers over the years including a standard Weber Kettle with 8-10 briquettes on one side. They all work well. The SM is just a lot easier to use. Sometimes I like to make a drier smoked trout using the simple trout rub recipe and lots of pepper. Then I don't use water.

CJC
01-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Nice details Doc. Just one question: What protein are you adding in step 5?

Maz
01-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks Doc,
Amador fillets are goin in the smoker this weekend.
Maz

drstressor
01-25-2006, 02:03 PM
What protein are you adding in step 5?

Here's what happens: The salt diffuses into the meat, which denatures some proteins causing them to precipitate (this is the principle of brine curring or pickling). Other proteins remain soluble in high salt. When your rinse the brined fillets and leave a layer of water on the surface of the meat, the salt diffuses from an area of high concentration (the meat) to an area of lower concentration (the layer of water). This brings along some of the soluble protein to the surface. As the surface then dries, the protein precipitates out as the pellicle. The pellicle collects a lot of smoke flavor during the smoking process.

Fish Smoking Physics 101. ;D ;D

Maz
01-25-2006, 04:02 PM
As a Biology major myself I could not have explained simple diffusion any better, entropy at its best.
Maz

nrvi
01-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Doc you crack me up.....If you ever write a cook book we'll all be educated enough to have earned a PHD.

CJC
01-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks Doc, I guess I missread your recipe. I thought you were adding salt and protein in that step. ::)
Thanks again. And great recipe!

fishguts
03-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to give it a try.

mtalley
05-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Why do I keep reading "nonmetal" in recipes. Do the metal pans/bowls give off a bad flavor?

zinger
05-07-2006, 06:24 PM
[smiley=chowtime.gif] Great recipe. I just finished eating some smoked kokanee from Ironhead whose recipe is very similar. Mmmhmmmhmmh!

zinger