PDA

View Full Version : I need a pheasant recipe

smilin_wide
01-22-2006, 03:42 PM
If someone out there has a recipe for pheasant I would love to try it.

Hopefully it would be a tasty and easy one. Crockpot would be a plus.

CJC
01-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I never had pheasant before. Is the meat tough like game duck?

metalmouth
01-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Compadrejt, duck should not be tough unless it is overcooked. Try searing it to, just past medium rare.
Pheasant however, uses it's legs to run. Their legs can be highly sinewy.
MM

CJC
01-25-2006, 01:01 PM
MM,
Thanks for the info. And I thought I was the only one that liked my birdís medium rare.
It sounds like my duck recipe would go great with pheasant. What I would do in this case is after adding all the ingredients except for the rice and peas, cook it until it's tender and then proceed to the part where you mix in the rice and peas in the rice cooker.
Another variation is that you cook it until tender and only add the peas (no rice) and it's ready to serve in 10 more mins. Then serve on top of boiled red potatoes. This variation is normally done with beef ribs, goat or lamb. And it's called "Seco de cabrito" (cabrito=goat). I suppose you could use the crock-pot for this.

metalmouth
01-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Smilin_Wide, There are a lot of fancy recipes for pheasant, but I would still recommend using an old fashioned southern fried chicken recipe and making a milk gravy with lots of black pepper.
MM

SuperDave
01-25-2006, 01:27 PM
I never really found a pheasant recipe that I thought the meat wasn't just a little tough. Now I smoke ALL my pheasants and they turn out moist and tender. The best recipe I liked for pheasant on the stove:

dredge cut pheasant parts in flour and brown slightly in frying pan. simmer in a can of cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 cup of milk until meat is done. add a cup of sour cream and stir into the gravy. salt and pepper to taste and serve over a plate of mashed potatoes.

thumbuster
01-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Hinrid, I just made your pheasant recipe and it came out great. It really makes the meat nice and tender. Thanks
thumbuster

Team_Sheryl_Lee
02-13-2006, 09:27 AM
we use a variation to that recipe

we use 2 cans of golden mushroom soup and 1 can of milk

try pouring the gravy over a bowl of rice for something different

minute rice is quick and easy no peeling of the potato

TSL

Eagle_Claw
02-13-2006, 08:43 PM
My favorite way to cook pheasant has always been to cut the meat off the bones, dip it in your own favorite beer, regular, or spiced up batter and deep fry it. Makes a great pheasant nugget. Never tried smoking it, but it sounds great! Eagle Claw

smilin_wide
02-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Hinrid,

Thanks for the recipe. I'm finally gonna give her a try. IT's thawing in the fridge now and I am gonna fry her up tomorrow. The gravy souns great.

Thanks again.

smilin_wide
02-20-2006, 01:14 PM
I never really found a pheasant recipe that I thought the meat wasn't just a little tough. *Now I smoke ALL my pheasants and they turn out moist and tender. *The best recipe I liked for pheasant on the stove:

dredge cut pheasant parts in flour and brown slightly in frying pan. simmer in a can of cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 cup of milk until meat is done. add a cup of sour cream and stir into the gravy. salt and pepper to taste and serve over a plate of mashed potatoes.

Thanks for the recipe but like you said it was still a bit tough. GOod but a bit on the firm side. I have another bird in the freezer and I am going to smoke that one. I prefer it falling off the bone tender.

Keep SMilin'

Griffondor
04-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Breast the bird, slice thinly, and follow a recipe for Chicken Marsala...I have served this to people who hate game birds with rave reviews.