PDA

View Full Version : Good Jerky Recipe WANTED.

PlugROCKSTAR
03-16-2006, 08:04 AM
Anyone have a good Jerky Recipe. If so could i plese borrow it. ;D thanks in advance.

metalmouth
03-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Alton Brown on Food Network went into great detail as to why the cool curing of meat was better than heat. He also spoke of food dehydraters not moving enough air and that a box fan with celuloid filters was the perfect moisture by air transfer method. He noted that setting the box fan in a window would keep your house from attracting stray dogs.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Expert
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 8 hours
Cook Time: 12 hours
Yield: 10 to 12 ounces
User Rating:

1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Special Equipment: 1 box fan, 4 paper air-conditioning filters, and 2 bungee cords

Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.
Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.

Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.

Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.

timetofish
03-16-2006, 01:55 PM
That's a pretty creative way of doing it. I've never cold cured jerky before. I'll have to get it a try.Thanks MM.

PlugROCKSTAR
03-16-2006, 08:40 PM
thanks MM but i've tried that recipe before and i wasn't impress at all :-[ I need something better. ;)

metalmouth
03-17-2006, 08:45 AM
thanks MM but i've tried that recipe before and i wasn't impress at all :-[ I need something better. ;)

This is not one of those "set your teeth on edge, sweet Teriaki recipes." I like to add a little Wild Turkey, Kentucky Straight Bourbon to my brine.
MM

SturgeonVirgin
03-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Metal mouth, thanks for the recipe, I'm gonna try it pretty son. Since I did spring cleaning last week, can I use the old filter I took off the AC inlet?

:P 8-) ;)

Seriously, the paper filter; at home cheapo they have filters, but paper ones are like 4-8 bucks each. Seems pricey??

metalmouth
03-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Metal mouth, thanks for the recipe, I'm gonna try it pretty son. Since I did spring cleaning last week, can I use the old filter I took off the AC inlet?

:P 8-) ;)

Seriously, the paper filter; at home cheapo they have filters, but paper ones are like 4-8 bucks each. Seems pricey??

Mr.T, I just use cooling racks for cookies with cheese cloth and band them together.
MM

ECVMatt
04-06-2006, 10:51 AM
I like to go simple with my jerky recipies. I usually do 3 flavors when I make it.
Peppered:
soy sauce and H2O to thin it out a little and a dash of tabasco or other hotsauce. Just a salt water brine will work as well instead of soy. Sprinkle with pepper right before putting in the smoker.

Terriyaki:
Equal parts soy sauce and pineapple juice, thats it! It comes out GREAT!

HOT: I usually use a saltwater brine with a bit of worchestshire(sp?) and hotsauce of choice(lately its been tabasco habanero)

Generally I will hit the meat with a hammer(does that sound painful?) untill it is almost falling apart then soak for at least 24 hours. I rack it and then usually let it sit in the smoker for a few hours to let alot of the excess brine drip off. I clean out the pan, ad my woodchips and let er rip. occasionally i will add a second batch of wood chips if it is still pretty wet after the first smoking. If it is too dry the second smoking will put a bit of a "grit" on the outside that, while not bad< i am not fond of.