PDA

View Full Version : original Trout in a ginger and wine sauce

CJC
01-13-2006, 01:31 AM
Original recipe from good old dad.

Warning! This recipe will get you banned from the kitchen, so better do it in the camping stove outside. *;D

This is Chinese home cooking.

Ingredients for 2 servings listed in the order of use.

1/2 cup of vegetable oil.
Salt to taste. (You may not need more salt, as the soy sauce is salty already)
2 each 1.5 lb size trout, scaled and cleaned.
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, flatten the garlic cloves without breaking them apart.
5 slices of ginger.
1/4 cup of thin soy sauce (Japanese soy sauce may be a good substitute).
1/4 cup of rice wine (a dry liquor may be used as a substitute).
1 tablespoon of sugar.
1 teaspoon of sesame oil.
1/4 cup green onions, shredded.
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro.

In a non-stick frying pan and medium high flame, heat the vegetable oil (save 2 table spoons for later use) until it begins to evaporate. Add salt and put the fish in to brown. Do not turn the fish until it is brown, else the skin will break apart. Brown thoroughly on both sides. Remove the fish and put aside.

Preparing the sauce
Dump the oil from the frying pan and add the 2 tablespoons of fresh oil. Brown the garlic in the pan and then discard the garlic. Add ginger, wine, sugar, sesame oil and soy sauce. Bring to a boil and put the trout in the pan again to cook in the sauce. Cover for 3-5 mins. Place on a serving platter and garnish with green onions and cilantro.

metalmouth
01-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Ok, the recipe sounds great, so I'll bite. Why will it get you kicked out of the kitchen.
MM :o

CJC
01-14-2006, 08:08 PM
It will stink up the house with fish smell!! ;D

metalmouth
01-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Well if that was the case, they wouldn't let me in, in the first place. *:o *Thanks for the recipe. *I can't wait to give it a try. Besides, I just love to have an excuse for some bottles of Sake in the house.
MM 8) ;D 8)

CJC
01-14-2006, 08:44 PM
In that case, I hope you enjoy it! ;D

CJC
03-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Made this recipe with makarel last night. I thought a picture might help:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2865/p10101890qt.jpg

Farrier_Frank
03-28-2006, 06:48 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words and that picture makes me think you should invite me over for dinner Compadrejt. ;)

CJC
03-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Anytime FF,
As much that I enjoy fishing I am sure that our paths will cross sometime. Too bad I live so far from the good trout waters. I am lucky if I can get a 12" DFG planter. But I guess they are much healthier to eat than a 4 lber. ;)

SuperDave
03-28-2006, 07:35 AM
What are the side dishes for this meal? The recipe looks like it would work with any firm white fish.

CJC
03-28-2006, 07:46 AM
Hinrid,

If you understand Chinese food, you’ll know that there are no side dishes. Everything is an entry. LOL. ;D ;D

But I normally have it with steamed rice, another meat/meat-veggie entry and a sautéed vegetable dish.

And yes, you can use just about any firm meat fish for this. It goes well with the widest variety of fish. Even shellfish like crab go well with this.

metalmouth
03-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Compadrejt, nice job on the picture. Your plating is great my friend.

MM 8-) ;) 8-)

CJC
03-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Compadrejt, nice job on the picture. Your plating is great my friend.

MM 8-) ;) 8-)

Thanks MM,

Do you mean how I placed the fish? ::) (Us foreigners don't have the lingo down yet) ;D ;D

If so, I can't take credit for that. That's how the fish fell on the plate! I did not even touch it up. ;D ;D ;D