PDA

View Full Version : Original, Poached bass with lemon and ginger sauce

CJC
02-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Here is a dish that I made a couple of months ago and it was delicious. This is Chinese food and I call it "poached bass with lemon and ginger sauce". It is very similar to restaurant made steam fish with green onions and soy sauce so here is my family recipe:

Poached bass with lemon and ginger sauce:
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9589/051218022jo.jpg
Ingredients
2.5 to 3.5 lb bass
2 tb spoons of ginger
1 lemon
6 tb spoons of soy sauce
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
1 clove of garlic
2 green onions (Chinese onions)
Cilantro (just a few leaves for garnish)
Salt to taste
A touch of sesame oil

Use a pot that is large enough to hold the whole fish. I use a long baking tray with a cover like the ones used to bake turkey. Boil enough water to cover the entire fish (The fish is cooked whole. I discard the head before cooking.)

The fish is cleaned from the scales and gutted. Remove the fat lining in the belly cavity. I won't eat the belly meat, the skin or the dark lateral line on the fish but I cook the fish whole to preserve the juices.

Shred the green onion and chop the cilantro and set aside.

Dice the ginger finely.

Peal the garlic clove

When the water boils submerge the fish in it and turn the flame off (notice that the fish has to be at room temperature before cooking). Cover and let it cook for 20 mins. A larger fish will require longer cook time and more water. When it is done you can insert a fork into the meat and flakes off easily. I like the meat a little on the pink side. But if you want it well done leave it in longer.

Remove the fish when it's done and place on the deep serving platter.

Top the fish with the soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and sprinkle salt as needed.

Heat the oil in a frying pan and let the whole clove of garlic brown in it. Remove the garlic when brown and discard.

Pour the hot oil on top of the fish and cover it evenly. (Be careful because it may splatter and burn you)

Add the green onions, cilantro and lemon juice on top.

Enjoy your meal!

metalmouth
02-27-2006, 09:14 AM
CJT,
Another great looking recipe. I can't wait to try it. What other species of fish do you think this will work well with? I'm a few miles from the large mouths.
MM

CJC
02-27-2006, 10:32 AM
CJT,
Another great looking recipe. I can't wait to try it. What other species of fish do you think this will work well with? I'm a few miles from the large mouths.
MM

MM,
This recipe is great for any lean meat fish. What species of fish do you have around you? I have had walleye with this recipe. It was great!

metalmouth
02-27-2006, 10:41 AM
CJT, No Eyes here. I do have some Salmon, Halibut and Swordfish in the cooler. Maybe it would be pretty good with the Hali or the SF.
MM

CJC
02-27-2006, 10:47 AM
MM,
Not sure about salmon, but the tail may be leaner. Halibut may work. Make sure you do not overcook it because the meat may toughen up. Any big fish will do that I gess. My old man used to make it with white sea bass tails. My mouth is watering now.

I thought you were in Idaho. How do you get halibut and sword fish in Idaho???

metalmouth
02-27-2006, 10:52 AM
I thought you were in Idaho. How do you get halibut and sword fish in Idaho???

That's why I fish with Loomis/Shimano. Long distance casting. ;D J/K You can't stay in the snow country forever. If I don't travel, I've got friends who are continually going for big fish. Their families get tired of eating it so I graciously take it off of their hands. ;)

CJC
02-27-2006, 10:55 AM
LOL, I was wondering where that fishing line flying above my house was coming from!! :o :o ;D ;D