PDA

View Full Version : Sea sickness problem

bassmaster415
08-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Hi fellow sniffers:

I went ocean fishing a couple times, and sea sickness got the better of me both times. The first time was on my friend's boat, and I puked after half an hour. The second time was on a charter boat at Farallon. This time, I took some Bonine prior to the trip and felt perfectly fine until after the captain stopped the boat and let it drift, and I had the worst experience fishing in my life as I kept puking and was sick like a dog for 5 hours. I am invited to fish on my friend's boat again next week for some rockies and lings. I am very excited and at the same time, afraid of getting sea sickness again. What do you think is the most effective method in preventing sea sickness? After doing some research, I am thinking about taking Bonine the night before and prior to the trip, putting on wristband for sea sickness, using motioneaze in addition to drinking ginger through the trip :wink:. Anyone tried this combination before? I just want to enjoy my trip and not waste others's time taking me back to the dock after half an hour.

Thanks,
Bassmaster415

mike22ca
08-26-2014, 02:28 PM
I have a buddy that uses that patch and swears by it. He was able to fish for the first time 2x in the ocean 2 weeks ago with me without even feeling remotely sick.

bassmaster415
08-26-2014, 02:31 PM
I have a buddy that uses that patch and swears by it. He was able to fish for the first time 2x in the ocean 2 weeks ago with me without even feeling remotely sick.

Yea. I really want to try this but won't have time to go to a doctor for a prescription.

mike22ca
08-26-2014, 02:33 PM
Another one of my buddies does alright with dramamine the night before and the morning of.

But honestly I think the patch would be the way to go.

SHM
08-26-2014, 02:34 PM
The patch all the way. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/27/e3yqumy7.jpg
SHM

mike22ca
08-26-2014, 03:12 PM
And if you do use the patch, you have to remember to wash your hands right after you apply it. You dont want to touch or rub your eyes because it can cause temporary blindness etc. So ive heard anyway.

fishnmike
08-26-2014, 03:35 PM
The Patch for sure! I have done ok with meclazine which is generic, non drousy Dramamine. Take one the nite before and one the morning of. Also make sure you get a good nite sleep. If I go and didn't sleep well the nite before I am much more likely to get seasick.

PapaGreg
08-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Agree with fishnmike, a lot of it depends on YOU! Don't do anything before the trip that will make you un-comfortable or un-easy. Just eat what you normally would and get a good night's sleep, take whatever you decide for motion sickness and you should be fine, good luck!

johnblue123
08-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Tried dramamine twice. Worked once and not the other...

JB14
08-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Get something in your gut the morning of and the patch works. You can also buy Kwells on eBay and that helps too.

JB14
08-26-2014, 06:25 PM
And try not to think about it. Worrying makes it worse.

smalltimer6
08-26-2014, 06:34 PM
When nothing else works -

1. Eat a good breakfast well before you board.
2. Stay away from exhaust fumes.
3. Avoid confined areas.
4. Don't watch the water when the boat is moving.
5. I you start feeling lite headed find the horizon and concentrate you focus on it.

Sea Sickness is caused by your bodies inability to maintain equilibrium. A good breakfast well before will give you better blood flow to your brain

Exhaust fumes will nauseate you and you don't need to add to the problem.

Confined areas will put your body into defense mode and slow it's ability to adjust it's equilibrium.

Watching the water will cause your eyes to loose their ability to focus on stationary objects and make everything appear to be moving.

Watching the horizon allows you eyes to focus on the only thing around that is level and stationary.

Once you get your sea legs your body won't forget how it did it and every trip after will be a breeze.

Don't be ashamed if you never get there, some bodies just can't adjust.

johnblue123
08-26-2014, 06:56 PM
When nothing else works -

1. Eat a good breakfast well before you board.
2. Stay away from exhaust fumes.
3. Avoid confined areas.
4. Don't watch the water when the boat is moving.
5. I you start feeling lite headed find the horizon and concentrate you focus on it.

Sea Sickness is caused by your bodies inability to maintain equilibrium. A good breakfast well before will give you better blood flow to your brain

Exhaust fumes will nauseate you and you don't need to add to the problem.

Confined areas will put your body into defense mode and slow it's ability to adjust it's equilibrium.

Watching the water will cause your eyes to loose their ability to focus on stationary objects and make everything appear to be moving.

Watching the horizon allows you eyes to focus on the only thing around that is level and stationary.

Once you get your sea legs your body won't forget how it did it and every trip after will be a breeze.

Don't be ashamed if you never get there, some bodies just can't adjust.

These are all great tips. Wish I could get to that point.

redneckpunk
08-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Start taking Dramamine 48hrs before going, following the recommended dosage and then double up a couple hours before you board the boat.

~RNP

samon59
08-26-2014, 08:23 PM
I get sea sick. Really bad. Dry heaves something terrible. I'd even get feeling a little woozy while making my lunch at 4am getting ready for the fishing trip. Crazy. Like you I just love to go. I've probably tried about 90% of what you've tried and what others have mentioned. I did some research on the internet. Started trying different things. Still sick. Then I came across an article about Benadryl. I know that Benadryl just knocks me out but I had to give it a try. Next time out I took one tablet. No sickness, just very sleepy but I fought through it and felt it was well worth it. Next time I went out I just took 1/2 a tablet. Perfect. No sickness, no sleepiness. I feel the 1/2 tablet is just enough to take the edge off. It's worked every time since then. Salmon fishing out of Bodega, not a problem. So, just a thought. Hope you find something that can work for you. Good luck.

bassmaster415
08-27-2014, 07:43 AM
Thank you all for your tips. I agree with the part about sleeping well the night before and having proper breakfast. I usually only got a couple hours of sleep the night before because we went out really early, around 2-3 AM and didn't eat breakfast until later. Regardless of how long the boat ride, I feel completely fine until the boat stops and starts drifting. A friend of mine told me to stick with it for a few trips, even when I feel extremely sick until my body starts to adjust naturally without medication. Well, I don't know if I want to puke for 6 hours straight again :).

Materalus1
09-03-2014, 08:15 PM
A good night's sleep does help. But, it's kinda hard when you know you're going fishing the next day. Scopalamine is pretty good too.

ecarleton
10-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Another +1 to the patch.

I am a mess without the patch. Usually the designated chummer, "that guy" on the boat.

If I put the patch on the night before, I can drink beer and eat what ever I want with no problem. Totally worth the trip to the doctor.

Panchorelo
10-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Lots of great tips here. Benadryl works well for my friends who have tried everything else except it makes them lethargic. Which is kind of a bummer when your fishing pals become zombies. I believe seasickness can be a state of mind too. When someone starts a trip worrying and thinking about being sick they will get sick. Eating breaky before you go out helps. Keep it light. No big bowl of oatmeal or steak and eggs. Drink lots of water too. If you do start chumming you want lots of liquid in your stomach to help with the flow. Personally, I crack a Coors Light as soon as the funky feeling starts. It seems to equalize an upset equilibrium. An added benefit is the extra liquid if the sickness comes. Of course, never over do it.

Big Game
10-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Pancho,

Fortunately I have avoided seasickness to this point in my 55 years and I am very thankful for that. I guess I inherited the sea legs from my Dad - who was a Swabbie in WWII.

I purchased a "Relief Band" on EBAY about 5 years ago for my oldest son as he was a little queezy when we went Big Game fishing in Puerto Vallarta. Since then he always uses it with real good results and you don't get sleepy as I have heard you do with the "patches". The problem is - I don't know if you can still find the one like I have with the replaceable battery - you may have to get the newer generation "Use and discard" ones, but it would be worth looking. You wear it just like a watch. It sends an elctro-magnetic impulse into the underside of your wrist on your pulse line - and it works. It has 5 levels of intensity, so you can adjust it if necessary. You might also try West Marine as I think they used to have them as well.

Good Luck

Big Game

Big Game
10-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Pancho,

Yeah, there is one right now on EBAY - check it out and read how it works. They are expensive, but I have seen lots of guys puking on Salmon boats that would have paid twice the price!!!

Also, COD fishing is probably the worst in terms of motion sickness - the boat is not moving forward and is susceptable to the troughs and swells of the ocean AND you are holding on to your rod the whole time trying not to go over the side - lots of work...

Tight Lines

BG

Hamachi_Kama
10-08-2014, 04:12 PM
The thing is, it's usually a lot of trial and error before an individial finds out what works best for them. That said, there is a ton of good advice on here, and it should all be considered.

We all have thresholds. And, as we get older and the inner ear deteriorates, we become more subject to motion sickness, and our ability to withstand it.

I carry a product in my tackle bag called zentrip. Same active ingredient found in Bonine, but the effectivness results from the delivery method - melting blotter paper-like substance.

On my last trip out to the farralons, there were serveral people who were suffering. I gave them each a blotter and within 10 minutes-good to go. I was amazed at how quickly and effectively it worked....After the fact! motion sickness had already turned these two into a lovely shade of grey-green makes it very versatile.

For some, there simply is no remedy. My buddy Nate has tried everything, including the patch. After several multi-day trips, he came to the conclusion that nothing works, and he tried it all (except for zentrip, which came out only a few years ago). Sometimes, reality sucks and some just have to fess up to the fact that their inner ears are more sensitive than others.

Website: Zentrip New Motion Sickness Prevention (http://www.zentripsato.com/)

It is a mental game, too. If you've had horrible seasickness, its something your body and mind does not soon forget. Do your best not to think about it. Stay busy on the way out, rigging and BS'ing with your fellow anglers. Once the thought sets in, its the kiss of sea-sickness death, from which there is no turning back.