PDA

View Full Version : Pork rib discussion

SuperDave
01-26-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm still smarting from my failed attempt at smoked ribs last weekend. I was starting to wonder if my expectation for spare ribs to turnout like baby back ribs was part of my problem. Done right, should they be the same?

fishdude76
01-26-2006, 03:37 PM
I don't think pork ribs will come out like baby backs. My dad is a retired butcher and he only does babies but I like pork ribs too. His technique is to either bake them or boil them til they are done, then sticking them on the Q to crispy them up and glaze the bbq sauce onto them. Every time you pick up the bone the meat just slides right off.

SuperDave
01-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Would he be willing to give me some specifics about time and temperatures?

fishdude76
01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah I'll get the info. For pork loin we wrap it in tin foil and bake at 300 for 3 hours. Oh is that good. Don't even need a knife for that. I'm sure the ribs would be less time but I'll see what he says.

Steelhead
01-30-2006, 08:27 AM
I like starting by smoking them a couple of hours with hicory.

Then I move them to the webber kettle cooking them indirect starting with 25 brickettes on each side and adding 9 each side per hour.

At sea level it takes 2.5 hours to cook at 3,000' elevation 3 hours.

The first half of the cook I turn every 10-15 minutes. The last half of the cook I turn and baste with BBQ sauce every five minutes. You can take a bottled sauce and thin 50% vinegar and 50% beer, or make your own from scratch.

If your sauce is too thick it will burn.

Captain Crunch to taste ;D

ITUKAWAL
01-30-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm still smarting from my failed attempt at smoked ribs last weekend. *I was starting to wonder if my expectation for spare ribs to turnout like baby back ribs was part of my problem. *Done right, should they be the same?

Dave, Good question about baby backs and spare ribs. For me, when it comes to meats and BBQ or smoking I have a leaning to the more expensive cut. Been bitten a time or two but not often. Slow cook low heat. About 170 - 190 degrees box temp for about 3 1/2 hours. Lots of smoke. Soak your chips for at least two hours or more. Liquid smoke in the moisture tray with beer or soda. My biggest problem is I always want to look. Gotta stop that. There is a remote temp sensor available with multiple channels. You can have 2 - 3 different meats in the smoker at one time with different finish times and temps. Now that's the way to go. It would keep me from peekin' to ofter ::) ::)

Is your smoker gas or electric ??? ???

SuperDave
01-30-2006, 10:39 AM
My smoker is electric. It is difficult to get it up to ideal smoking temperatures on cold, windy days. I have wrapped it in damp towels and a blanket more than once. As my wounds have started to heal, I think the dry rub was also a big part of my problem. It was a recommended paparika based rub and I'm not crazy about paparika.

ITUKAWAL
01-30-2006, 10:50 AM
Dave, I was looking to replenish my spices and rub inventory and came across this. Go to the botton of the page and see the 16 pack variety. I should have it Wednesday. 5 different flavors of 3 lb smokin' chips should be here by Friday.

http://www.easycart.net/PorkyPittsBBQ/PORKY_PITTS_BBQ_RUBS.html

RonM
01-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Here's a site that has a lot of info on smoking ribs. Click Here (http://www.homebbq.com/duportal/forums/default.asp) I picked up a lot of good info from there. Low and slow is what you want. I have a BBQ with a side fire box using charcoal, takes 4 to 5 hours at 200-225. The regular pork ribs will turn out like the babybacks.

ITUKAWAL
01-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Hey Ron, thanks for that link. Now that looks valuable for as much BBQ-in' and smokin' as I do and will be doing.

Steve aka ITITITITIT

RonM
01-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey Ron, thanks for that link. Now that looks valuable for as much BBQ-in' and smokin' as I do and will be doing.

Steve aka ITITITITIT

Steve, no problem. One thing they stress on is don't trust the thermostat that comes with your units. You have the right ideal to get one of the external temp probes. Oh yeah, everytime you peek it extends the cook time by at least 15 min.

Farrier_Frank
01-31-2006, 02:17 PM
All this talk of ribs got me hungry so I threw a rack of baby backs in the crock pot at noon and covered them with roasted raspberry and smoked chipotles'. I'll let you all know how it came out. ;)

metalmouth
01-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Ok Frank, inquiring minds want to know. Was it great of what? I am waiting with drool on the keyboard.
MM ;D 8) ;D

Steelhead
01-31-2006, 09:40 PM
If you had a choice,,,,,,,,,,,,

Would you spend a half a day smokin and cooking ribs

OR

spend a half a day fishin ;D

Farrier_Frank
02-01-2006, 05:59 AM
Ok Frank, inquiring minds want to know. Was it great of what? I am waiting with drool on the keyboard.
MM ;D 8) ;D

It was simply divine, MM. Served it with lightly steamed arugula and miners lettuce, topped with toasted pine nuts, and drizzled some spring onion dressing over the top... with a splash of bleu cheese/balsamic vinaigrette for character. 8)

ITUKAWAL
02-01-2006, 06:52 AM
It was simply divine, MM. Served it with lightly steamed arugula and miners lettuce, topped with toasted pine nuts, and drizzled some spring onion dressing over the top... with a splash of bleu cheese/balsamic vinaigrette for character. 8)

"topped with toasted pine nuts". ??? ??? ???

I thought Yule Gibbons past on years ago. ;D ;D ;D

Now that sounded like a great dinner.....or is it supper ???

FF, that was a brutle East end of the bar yesterday. Lee's been listen' to way too much RUSH ::) ::)

metalmouth
02-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Ok Frank, hold the keyboard. I'm headed to your house for dinner. ;D
MM

Steelhead
02-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Yule Gibbons used hickory nuts ;D

SuperDave
02-01-2006, 10:53 AM
But most "pine trees are edible." ;D

Steelhead
02-01-2006, 08:19 PM
The correct grammer would be Yule Gibbons had hickory nuts 8)

vvbob
02-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Frank
I just read your 2 posts to my wife.....
Her comment " Mmmmm sounds delicious, too bad your having chicken today!" ;D ;D ;D ;D

Farrier_Frank
02-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Soooo........ How was the chicken Vacaville Bob. ;D

ratss427
02-02-2006, 07:19 PM
great advice above.what will also improve the quality of spare and babyback ribs,is to remove that skin/membrane from underneath.its on the rib(not meaty)side of the ribcage.and before applying a rub,i like to completely tear this off.i find it allows for more complete coverage of seasonings and smoke.and also allows the finished product to be more tender for that "fall off the bone"goodness!just my 2 cents

Steelhead
02-02-2006, 07:39 PM
With the smoking and the very long kettle treatment I have found the membrane removel to be ALMOST inconsequential. You have to look at the piece of meat and make the call.

Farrier_Frank
02-02-2006, 08:02 PM
With the smoking and the very long kettle treatment I have found the membrane removel to be ALMOST inconsequential. You have to look at the piece of meat and make the call.

I agree. With smoking, or the crock pot, the membrane can be removed easier after cooking, if that's what you want to do.