PDA

View Full Version : Bring back hunting, not shooting.

QueenAnnesRevenge
08-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Witht the advent of super popular long range shooting the ability to actually hunt (pattern, wait on stand, spot, stalk etc) Has been lost and replaced with everyone that can afford to, buying super long range rifles.
Example- the most popular scop3 when I wss a lad was a 3-9, today most buy 5.5-22.
Folks are also shooting ultra magnum calibers etc on little b zone black tails.
I know this is going to sound like a gripe and moan but it just is a little disconcerting that it's considered hunting.
I hunt in wide open sage and high desert where a magnum migh5 be warrented but come on man.
Moan over

BigUnInDaBoat
08-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Archery is the supreme game. You vs your quarry, true stalking, true skill. Knowing the wind, how to move quietly. That being said I'll still probably take my grandfathers remington rifle out this deer season, still hoping one will be a bow kill.

My first was a D6 archery 5x6

outdoordude
08-30-2014, 07:05 AM
Guess I timed out too long and lost my reply, but I agree, give me my compound bow, my old 94 30-30, and some times my 270 w/3x9

DRF
08-30-2014, 08:24 AM
You mean my illuminated reticle mil dot scope on my bb gun is to much?

Grncrestliner
08-30-2014, 08:43 AM
I agree in principle but where do you draw the line? I started with a fixed 2.5 power post Weaver on a 30-06. I then went to a fixed 4 power and now I have variables but the largest is 3x9 I also have a 2.5x8. I now shoot a 7 mm Remington mag. I shoot an Excalibur crossbow but decided a scope was not necessary so I have a peep with pins. Should we all go back to long bows? You could say the same thing about fishing with all the high end fish finders and GPS units. Lets go back to flashers only, no more graphs.
I personally do not like large variables and the really large magnum rifles out there but that is just me. Some can shoot accurately to over 400 yards and some cannot hit a deer at 150. Compared to a 30-30 the 7 mag is a really long range gun so I might be considered one of those guys with too much gun.
John

QueenAnnesRevenge
08-30-2014, 09:12 AM
I draw the line at people starting out hunting that way, you progressed and have evolved and honed your game. Im just shocked with the number of new people who think they can dope a 750 yard shot, I believe it leaves too much to chance and wilk result in too many dead unrecoveed deer jimho
Conversely if you could only have 1 gun the 7mm Remington is the best round for north America bar none.

Reel Fun
08-30-2014, 06:17 PM
I have killed plenty of deer with a 25-06. I am not a big fan of belted magnums but for Elk I would use a 300 win mag. I also have my father in laws Weatherby Mark 5 in 270 weatherby mag! That thing must be a big bang based on the powder cap of the cases!! I also like the 243 Winchester a lot!

BigUnInDaBoat
08-31-2014, 09:05 AM
Never shot a deer with a firearm, that may change this year if I can't put one on the ground with the bow. I'll be shooting my grandfathers 7mm rem mag, some say it's too big (it is for blacktails) other say it's perfect. I'll be hunting California Mulies not blacktails.

K-15
08-31-2014, 11:33 AM
I draw the line at people starting out hunting that way, you progressed and have evolved and honed your game. Im just shocked with the number of new people who think they can dope a 750 yard shot, I believe it leaves too much to chance and wilk result in too many dead unrecoveed deer jimho
Conversely if you could only have 1 gun the 7mm Remington is the best round for north America bar none.

Opinions very,..300 mag. for me..if I was going after a big bear up north, i'd feel a little bit better off with more lead.I enjoy the art of getting close with a bow and the skills that it requires,..taken elk as close as 7 yds., but on the flip side, enjoy rifle hunting as well.Long range shooting with a bow leads to a lot of unrecovered animals, as any small movement by the shooter is magnified at longer ranges, and the animal has more time to move, due to t.o.f.Shooting paper and hair are two different things.Just my $.02. Mike

Reel Fun
08-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Never shot a deer with a firearm, that may change this year if I can't put one on the ground with the bow. I'll be shooting my grandfathers 7mm rem mag, some say it's too big (it is for blacktails) other say it's perfect. I'll be hunting California Mulies not blacktails.

I think it depends on the shot distance? The 7mm Rem Mag is basically a hopped up .270. Its slightly bigger @ .284 and faster so at 250 yards its comparable to a 270 @ 100 yrds. Same goes for the 30-06 compared to the 300 Win Mag. Now if its the 300 Rem Ultra MAG we are talking about a cannon!!!! It will duplicate the muzzle of a 300 Win Mag at 300 yrds or so! I do not think there is a deer in CA that needs more than a 270/30-06 unless shooting at 250 yrds or more and even then a 270/30-06 will do the job with a good shot. But then again the OP for this thread was all about getting closer and using a "regular" deer round. The 243 is a great CA deer caliber along with many others......7mm08....257 Roberts.....300 Savage....25-06....etc

p.gunning
09-17-2014, 12:05 PM
I agree to an extent.... Shooting long range is not as easy as just putting your cross hairs what you guess is 40" over it back and slinging lead down range. It takes a great amount of practice and knowledge to be able to connect every time with a kill shot beyond a couple hundred yards and most people have no business shooting that far. Plus chances are if a responsible hunter is contemplating taking a shot at distances beyond the normal ranges the deer is most likely bedded down or not in a hurry and there is no reason why the gap can not be closed to a higher percentage shot.