PDA

View Full Version : Deep fried salt and pepper fillet of crappie

CJC
01-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Original recipe

Since many of you have been catching tons of crappie lately in Clear Lake (btw, there is a mercury warning on Clear Lake fish in the Fish and Game regs.) here is my favorite way of cooking the fish.

Meal for 4

2 lbs of crappie fillet, cut in 1.5" strips, vertical cuts.
2 table spoons of cornstarch.
1 small onion, big slices.
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced up, you may want to de-vine and remove the seeds but I prefer hhhooottttt!!
1/2 green pepper, cut in 1" squares.
1 clove of garlic, chopped finely.
Salt to taste
2 table spoons of vegetable oil (beside the frying oil)
Garnish with cilantro.

Mix the fish with the salt and cornstarch and add just enough water so that it starts running and not being crumbed up.

Deep-fry the fish in high flame until it's brown.
Tip #1: Beware of overflowing when deep-frying. Bubbling in the oil will make it overflow the pot and may cause a fire. So use a huge pot for this purpose and just enough oil as needed.
Tip #2: If your stove is not hot enough, you will overcook the fillets. So in order to brown your fish without overcooking it you have to do it in multiple steps. Heat the oil until is steaming (Vegetable oil gets the best result) then put in the fish. Remove it from the oil as soon as the bubbling slows down. Heat the oil again and repeat this process if necessary. The finished product should be brown and crisp on the outside and moist on the inside.

In a frying pan, sauté the other ingredients (Garlic, onions, green peppers and, jalapenos) with the 2 ts of oil for 2 mins.. Mix in the fish fillets and serve on a platter.

Garnish with cilantro.

MB_Kevin
01-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks I might try that ;)

CJC
01-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Welcome. Catch any sturgeon yet?