PDA

View Full Version : First canning attempt

vvbob
01-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Got my new pressure canner last week so I am Going to can some Eagle Lake Trout this morning.
Just took the fish out of the brine & waiting for the smoker to heat up....I'm going to leave 4 pieces on the smoke to cook to eat now.....mmmmmm I can almost taste them already ;D ;D

I have to marvel about the beauty of Eagle Lake Trout,such a pretty fish & wonderful red meat. ;)

vvbob
01-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Feel kind of silly replying to my own post...
My first attempt came out terrific! 8)
After the canner cooled down & we opened it up I put one of the jars in the refrigrator to cool off a bit.
It was delicious, just a little dry, so next time I won't smoke the fish as long. I ate about 1/2 the jar (1/2 pint)then asked my wife if se wanted a taste.....she finished the jar, saying delicious,delicious as she was scraping the bottom. ;D ;D ;D
She said it was a lot better than Tuna,as far as a canned fish go, & I have to agree. :P

Farrier_Frank
01-09-2006, 08:26 PM
LOL Bob ;D It even took you 12 hours to reply to yourself. ;D Don't feel bad though, it seems to be one of those Mondays on the boards.

Have you checked out the canning thread on the kokanee board? Lots of good info in that one. Wouldn't be a bad idea if they moved that thread over here.

metalmouth
01-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Bob, Welcome to the club. *I think almost everyone who tries it has the same comment. *"That's better than the commercially canned tuna we eat." *When you start to experiment with spices you have to remember that they will be exposed to high temps for long periods of time. *Some spices can become bitter through this process. *Also, for mixed spices you need to check the ingredients by content, as some contain almost 70% salt. For very solid fish, like brow trout, you may want to break them up with a fork and mix the oils and spices into the meat a little better before draining. Happy canning and congrats on your first batch.
MM aka Don
8) ;D 8) *

Dennis
01-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Bob,

If you liked the trout you have to try the kokanee. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

fish4fun
01-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Bob.. When I smoke fish for canning, I only keep them in the smoker for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Just long enough to burn 2 pans of chips in my Luhr Jensen smoker. This just gives them a smoke flavor but doesn't "cook" them. They come out of the smoker very moist that way. As a comparison, I keep them in the smoker about 4 to 5 hours when I smoke cook them.. Larry

vvbob
01-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info guys.
I'm going to try one of the other recipe's next time....don't know which one yet ;D