PDA

View Full Version : Smoked sturgeon advice needed

Patrick#44
01-10-2006, 08:52 AM
I am going to try smoking a sturgeon in a Brinkman's charcoal smoker. I've done salmon more than a few times and a couple of other things, but this will be my first sturgeon. Here is my plan so far:
Cut sturgeon into 1" fillets
Brine for 24 hours (red wine, water, brown sugar, liquid smoke, garlic, teriyaki, non-iodize salt, green onion)
Dry for at least 1 hour
Charcoal & wood chunks smoke

What should I change from the above?
Temperature range?
Smoke/cook time?
Any other advice?

Thanks and tight lines to everyone that helps,
Patrick

Seceret_hole
01-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Patrick#44, I smoked some sturgeon last year and it was delicious. I think you should omit the liquid smoke though, you don't need more smoke flavor than the brinkman will put in it. Sturgeon is mild tasting (not fishy) so basically it will taste like what ever spices you put on it, so use a small amount and try not to over flavor.

I smoke big chunks, like a roast size portion for about 5 to 6 hours in an electric smoker. Depending on the heat range, time lengths will vary, you just have to check on it every now and then until it is firm and golden colored.

I started canning smoked sturgeon since their is so much meat, that way I don't waste any and I can enjoy it for the rest of the year.

Good luck!