PDA

View Full Version : Lake Natoma (American River)

fishnchips
09-09-2014, 04:01 PM
Are there trout in Lake Natoma? Is it stocked?

Lifted
09-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Are there trout in Lake Natoma? Is it stocked?

From what I've heard the answer to both of those question is yes, but it's not always an easy place to catch fish. However, it's not a place many sniffers post reports on either.

Fireguy
09-09-2014, 04:56 PM
I would concentrate on the bluegills/crappies in there right now. my buddy used to live down the road from it

I dont know if they stock it, but I have been way upriver to the DO NOT CROSS OR YOU WILL BE SHOT sign across the river.

Very beautiful place to fish when the water is high. I haven't been out there much though

8theworm
09-09-2014, 05:48 PM
I've been fishing Natoma for over twenty years.
Yes there are trout in there, but they have not stocked it in several years.
The good news is there's giant trout in Natoma.
Bad news is they are extremely hard to catch.
The reason you don't see anyone fishing it is because it's a really tough place to catch fish, any fish.
It was a good small mouth fishery about 15 years ago but the largemouths are more plentiful now.
I've had an exceptional year there with a few bass over 5 lbs and a rainbow about 8lbs.
If you are looking for a real challenge this is the place.
If you do figure it out please catch and release because all the fish in there are wild.

thompsonwdavid
09-11-2014, 11:58 AM
The trout will become more hungry in the fall. From what I have experienced try and match the Japanese pond smelt. I believe that's what all those little fish are that swim in big schools. Early morning and minnow imitations. Those monsters in there fish eaters and everyone in a while you might get lucky and see one jump. Good luck.

Tyeechinook
09-15-2014, 11:57 PM
Very hard nut to crack. I've been fishing there for over 25 years and it still stumps me. I average one fish caught for about 10-12 trips out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThatOneGuy?
09-16-2014, 02:43 AM
Yes... the lake is home to quite a few species of fish that use to run in the AR and got trapped with the building of Nimbus Dam in the 1950's. There are holdover Rainbows in there that average 15lbs+ in there but they are far and few in between. They haven't planted that place in several years now and what trout that do survive in there had become monsters lurking in the depths at Folsom Dam above Negro Bar... The sad part is the trout are triploid so they're unable to breed like regular trouts and because of that their numbers had dwindled throughout the years.

Natomas is a mysterious lake in my opinion. Some days I think I have the place figure out, BAMMM I get slapped in the face and I have to restart again from step 1.

It's also one of my favorite place to fish quietly away from the motor boaters because of the lake's 5mph rules and no use of jet skis. I've caught about every species possible in that lake from Carp, catfish, bass, sunfish,(even striped bass...) to the very Pig skin Rainbow you're seeking.

If you're seeking the trout outta that place just letting you know that Powerbait fishing had become a foreign thing to them. Living in that lake had cause the trout to become almost like stripers... Feeding aggressively towards crawdads, smelts, and whatever unlucky fish that gets churned up and spit out by Folsom Dam's turbines.

Only once a year for 5 days do I pursue the Pig Skins outta Lake Natomas and that's when the lake turnover. Then do the big bruisers leave the safety of the deep above the lake and wander into the flowing inlets to feed is when I target them! Some might call it the "urge" that still in their genetic to mate forcing them to seek shallow flowing water but that's also the ONLY time ever do I see them school in some numbers. The Achilles heel of every salmonoid species; they school together heavily to feed before some weird mating ritual in the years I've witnessed them in the dead of Fall. But that's for another fishing report that will come in towards early November! I call it, "THE FEED".... and only during that time am I ever successful in hooking a Natomas bow... Hope this helps! I can't tell you my secret spots though... I've been working away at that Lake for 20 years of my life and not even DFW knows what's left in that place!

Bigg A
09-16-2014, 04:19 AM
Been there a handful of times and have caught nice trout everytime. I don't believe those are triploid trout either like what was mentioned above. We've caught plenty of 2lb'ers so there's definitely some breeding going on especially if it hasn't been stocked forever.

Big fish eat big baits.....[emoji41]

Jfitalia
09-16-2014, 04:50 AM
Yes... the lake is home to quite a few species of fish that use to run in the AR and got trapped with the building of Nimbus Dam in the 1950's. There are holdover Rainbows in there that average 15lbs+ in there but they are far and few in between. They haven't planted that place in several years now and what trout that do survive in there had become monsters lurking in the depths at Folsom Dam above Negro Bar... The sad part is the trout are triploid so they're unable to breed like regular trouts and because of that their numbers had dwindled throughout the years.

Natomas is a mysterious lake in my opinion. Some days I think I have the place figure out, BAMMM I get slapped in the face and I have to restart again from step 1.

It's also one of my favorite place to fish quietly away from the motor boaters because of the lake's 5mph rules and no use of jet skis. I've caught about every species possible in that lake from Carp, catfish, bass, sunfish,(even striped bass...) to the very Pig skin Rainbow you're seeking.

If you're seeking the trout outta that place just letting you know that Powerbait fishing had become a foreign thing to them. Living in that lake had cause the trout to become almost like stripers... Feeding aggressively towards crawdads, smelts, and whatever unlucky fish that gets churned up and spit out by Folsom Dam's turbines.

Only once a year for 5 days do I pursue the Pig Skins outta Lake Natomas and that's when the lake turnover. Then do the big bruisers leave the safety of the deep above the lake and wander into the flowing inlets to feed is when I target them! Some might call it the "urge" that still in their genetic to mate forcing them to seek shallow flowing water but that's also the ONLY time ever do I see them school in some numbers. The Achilles heel of every salmonoid species; they school together heavily to feed before some weird mating ritual in the years I've witnessed them in the dead of Fall. But that's for another fishing report that will come in towards early November! I call it, "THE FEED".... and only during that time am I ever successful in hooking a Natomas bow... Hope this helps! I can't tell you my secret spots though... I've been working away at that Lake for 20 years of my life and not even DFW knows what's left in that place!
Do you have any documented catches of stripers? I have never heard or seen one from there.

8theworm
09-16-2014, 06:20 AM
That's the first I've heard of stripers being in Natoma, I have never seen one.
I do believe that the trout are reproducing because I caught a few 10 in rainbows while throwing a small jig last spring.
They stopped planting it years ago for fear of disease spreading into the hatchery.

Jfitalia
09-16-2014, 06:22 AM
My thoughts exactly. I do not believe there are any stripers

ThatOneGuy?
09-16-2014, 11:13 AM
My thoughts exactly. I do not believe there are any stripers

Give it till the lake turnover. I don't know if the striped bass in there are trapped before the building of the dam or maybe some poor soul had release them in there but I normally get them when I target the giant bows out of the lake when the water temperature stratifies in the lake. There numbers seem few in between but every year I average one or two when fishing the turnover. I can promise you I've gotten striped bass out of there when pursuing the holdover trout above Willow Creek. That report will come as soon as the lake turnover and every species thriving in there undergoes some feeding habit that I can't seem to explain but I do know when it starts happening hence why I typically will fish it for 5 days only until it seems to just stop like someone turned off the light switch.:shocked: The report will come... Give it time. I will have plenty of pics for the 5 days to come! As for the trout breeding; I don't know. Every time I've targeted them, I've never caught them in the quantity of 1-2lbers since planting ceased years ago but just the one or two Pig Skins that congregate in the flowing water as I said when the lake turnovers. All of my reports have pictures in them when I post so with that said just be patient guys... The lake is a skunk for the majority whom fished it but to the few whom took the time to learn it; all I can say is it's rather rewarding.

49erbassman
09-16-2014, 11:22 AM
First I have heard of stripers in there as well

LURKER916
09-16-2014, 04:32 PM
#nopicdidnthappen

Jfitalia
09-16-2014, 04:42 PM
#nopicdidnthappen
Seriously, enough with the hashtags

LURKER916
09-16-2014, 04:46 PM
#grumpymidget

Bigg A
09-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Seriously, enough with the hashtags
#whatdoyouhaveagainsthashtags#fishingpole#reel#bai tandtackle#worms#crawdads#stripedbass#delta#crappi eangler#

NaughtyFlashLures
09-16-2014, 05:00 PM
#grumpymidget
I just pissed a little when I read that.

J put this as your signature

CAL.NDN
09-16-2014, 05:03 PM
Lmfao

Jfitalia
09-16-2014, 05:06 PM
#Ihateallofyou

Lol

LURKER916
09-16-2014, 06:33 PM
#Runtothehillsrunforyourlife

CAL.NDN
09-16-2014, 06:35 PM
#ironmaiden

redneckpunk
09-16-2014, 06:45 PM
#toomuchkeyboardtimenotenoughfishing

~RNP

Sac/Striper/Slayer
09-17-2014, 06:49 PM
I've caught trout there on traditional trout baits in fall near rainbow bridge. Nice 3-5 lbers. Only one or two in a trip but for driving less then ten mins that's always fun. Don't fish it much though. I do believe the lake record was caught on a worm under a bobber. I believe it was a state record but has been broken now

Tyeechinook
09-17-2014, 07:55 PM
I've caught trout in there a few years ago in March/April that when pulled out of the water started spitting eggs or milt. So I do believe they spawn naturally. Also I've caught trout 6 inches long. And I've caught pikeminnows that had lines on their sides and almost looked similar to a striper.

Sac/Striper/Slayer
09-18-2014, 05:47 AM
I don't see why some Striper couldn't have gotten landlocked but most likely no reproduction. I believe a sturgeon has been caught in folsom and natoma so I wouldn't say it isn't possible just never heard of it.

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-18-2014, 07:51 AM
The trout definitely arent triploids, that is a relatively new practice compared to the age that reservoir was planted. And, not all triploids are sterile I think the goal is 90%+/- being sterile, so thrre is natural reproduction and limited pressure combined with an over abundance of food and poor accessibility leads to few reports in my opinion.

Tyeechinook
09-18-2014, 08:20 AM
I have a friend that has seen sturgeon while scuba diving in natoma.

Sac/Striper/Slayer
09-18-2014, 10:16 AM
I guess since sturgeon live so long they could be ones still alive from when the damn went up. I wouldn't think they could successfully reproduce in that lake but who knows. I wonder how large the sturgeon was your friend saw in there

LURKER916
09-18-2014, 10:32 AM
I just talked to a guy on the river who said he has caught stripers in there.
Maybe they are? I'm gonna find out. Ain't catching anything anywhere else.

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-18-2014, 10:40 AM
That guy found a sturgeon in shasta a couple of years back, but the re are more sturge in the sac than ar.
Always love the diver stories about encounters with monsters, thank god for gopro

dsa2780
09-19-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm sure there are a few stripers in there. I don't think they would have an issue spawning since the lake gets pretty warm in spring and summer. They probably just hang out near the dam like the trout and gorge on food from Folsom. Some guy on another forum has pulled a few salmon to 5lbs out of there as well.

I've said it once and will say it again, dead of fall, live jumbo minnows on a sliding sinker rig with pencil lead as the weight, and roe being drifted on another rod will probably yield whatever big predator is in that lake.

This winter we should have a Natoma sturgeon fest to see if we could pull one out lol. I'll bring the eel.

Sac/Striper/Slayer
09-20-2014, 01:29 PM
I would think maybe folsom would have some Striper also if natoma does. I've never heard of one being caught there and guys bass fishing shoulda picked one up by now if they are there. Would be great if there were Striper in there

kabah088
09-22-2014, 05:20 PM
I am surprised to hear someone found stripers in there.