PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhhhh Bear!!!!!

bretmoua
09-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Went bear hunting a few days ago because I forgot my deer tag at home. Luck was on my side that evening and I was able to harvest my second bear in 3 years. Not a big one but will definitely be good eating. Estimating its weight at 150 lbs but only around 110 after skinning and gutting. So far so good. Now if only I can tag a buck within the next month and a half too. 23454

Fishbucket
09-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Way to go !

I almost got out last weekend, but Fire and no buddy came up... Maybe weekend after next I can make it.

You hunted the Sierras down Fresno way? I'm hearing good Populations of bears this year.

bretmoua
09-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Yep in D7. This guy was shot up past the town of Oakhurst. Good luck to you this weekend.

salmonid
09-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Another cool bear! Must be a good crop of them this year.

Congrats,

IronClad
09-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Congrats,

Tons of bear everywhere this year. I went to the hills sunday and i swear there was a pile of bear crap every 30 feet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BigUnInDaBoat
09-24-2014, 01:26 PM
WAy to go I got mine yesterday!

Reel Fun
09-24-2014, 07:26 PM

Congrats,

Ever since DFW put into place no dogs on bear hunts about 80% of the hunters stopped hunting for them! The amount of bears killed in CA avg about 2000 up until either last year or 2 years ago when the dog ban went into effect that harvest number dropped about in half to 1000 bears. So 1000 or more bears running around every year......going into backyards etc??

salmonid
09-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. I forgot they banned dog hunts here too! Oregon did the same due to a ballot measure vote I think? Poor bears getting run down by dogs makes some folks uncomfortable, Cougars and baiting bears as well.

Take care,

Ever since DFW put into place no dogs on bear hunts about 80% of the hunters stopped hunting for them! The amount of bears killed in CA avg about 2000 up until either last year or 2 years ago when the dog ban went into effect that harvest number dropped about in half to 1000 bears. So 1000 or more bears running around every year......going into backyards etc??

brokea--boater
09-24-2014, 09:46 PM
WTG on filling your tag. I ran hounds for over 20 years, and those are some of the best memories I have of hunting. I can't recall exactly how many bears between my hunting partners and I have taken, but it's quite a few. If I can suggest some tip's on caring for bear meat. In the early part of the season, when its still warm weather, get the animal skinned sooner than later. Cool that carcass, plus you'll lessen the chances of the hide spoiling also, yep, you can lose the hide if it starts to spoil. You can tell if you messed the hide up by pulling on the hair. If it pulls out easily, nothing can be done to save it. Get everything cool ASAP. I took my animal to a butcher in Antioch and gave him instructions to hang it in the locker and not to start cutting until it fell off the hook onto the floor. Now that was an exaggeration on my part, but he knew what I wanted. He knew how long for the best aging. You'll get less net wt. because of the trimming of the aging . But I promise you this this, that if you do these simple steps, you'll have some good meat for your family. Damn how I miss those bear meatballs in a pineapple sauce,,,gregg

bretmoua
09-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Brokea boater, thanks for the great tip. I always field dress my kill as soon as I am done taking pictures to make memories out of the hunt. The skin will be tanned and given to a good friend of mine. I made some Jerkies out of the meat and my kids got to them as soon as it came off my dehydrator. Its a great thing my kids enjoy eating deer and bear Jerkies because it makes my hunt more meaningful.

BigUnInDaBoat
09-25-2014, 07:58 AM

As of September 23, 2014, the California black bear harvest is:

BigUnInDaBoat
09-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Brokea boater, thanks for the great tip. I always field dress my kill as soon as I am done taking pictures to make memories out of the hunt. The skin will be tanned and given to a good friend of mine. I made some Jerkies out of the meat and my kids got to them as soon as it came off my dehydrator. Its a great thing my kids enjoy eating deer and bear Jerkies because it makes my hunt more meaningful.

Make sure you're cooking that bear meat! You don't want trichinosis that stuff is scary!

bretmoua
09-25-2014, 11:11 AM
I figure, thin slices in my dehydrator for 10 hours at 145 degrees is good enough. Never had a problem yet.