PDA

View Full Version : Bodega Crabbing 2014

starcraft69
10-25-2014, 05:58 AM
Well it's a week away and it is quiet on here. I for one am super excited this year. Our group will be going Monday-Friday again this year but we decided to give the girls some luxury. We will leave the RV's at home and rented a large home between four couples, can you say hot tub!!!!! This will be my first yuppie fishing trip ever for me cant wait!!!!!!!!!! I hope the crabbing is as good as last year, we threw over 100 keepers back and only kept 7+ " crab, It was a awesome year. So who is heading to Bodega for opening week ROLE CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy fishing to you all and I hope I see a few of you out there.

berniebiz
10-25-2014, 06:19 AM
Well it's a week away and it is quiet on here. I for one am super excited this year. Our group will be going Monday-Friday again this year but we decided to give the girls some luxury. We will leave the RV's at home and rented a large home between four couples, can you say hot tub!!!!! This will be my first yuppie fishing trip ever for me cant wait!!!!!!!!!! I hope the crabbing is as good as last year, we threw over 100 keepers back and only kept 7+ " crab, It was a awesome year. So who is heading to Bodega for opening week ROLE CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy fishing to you all and I hope I see a few of you out there.

Me and a buddy decided to skip the early rush of opening weekend. We will be out there in his camper/my boat the 20-24th. Cant wait! Have never been exclusively for dungies, but we caught a ton while trying for reds and rocks.

brokea--boater
10-25-2014, 08:10 AM
We'll be waiting on the sidelines during the weekend opening. Going during the week is much more relaxing plus we can pick the best wx window for the week,,,pass the garlic butter please,,,gregg

starcraft69
10-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Ya we skip opening weekend but go first mon-fri of opener 6 years now and almost always do good.

Ducks247
10-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Hey Starcraft we camped in the same campground last year I had the white seanymph we were there the same time. And thanks again for the left over bait! Will see you again Monday to Friday camp site 43 to 45 stop by for a beer before you hit that jacuzzi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarnacleL
10-25-2014, 09:14 AM
I have a camping reservation at Doran Nov 2, if the weather and seas are within vessel Homers operating envelope, I will bring in 10 keeper crabs, looking forward to seeing how the new Hawkeye fish finder works in saltwater may try and mooch a couple salmon all that crab bait has to attract the predators.:appledancing:

BarnacleL
10-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Oh and this year vessel Homer will be using her 5hp 4 stroke instead of the 50# thrust I have the free body diagram worked out so it doesn't spill me down to the predators.:mind-blowing:

starcraft69
10-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Ducks hey good to see ya I will definitely stop by and say hi Maybe we can set traps close together again. P.M sent

antnida
10-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Our first year for the opener and we can only reserve the 1st of Nov. if there are open first come first serve spaces then we will be there until the 2nd as well. Hopefully, it's not going to rain.

BarnacleL
10-25-2014, 11:52 AM
This is my 1st opener and keeping 7+ inch crabs out of 100 keepers sounds great. It is a 10 possession limit on Dungeness right? So if I bring the coleman stove, pot, steam and put on ice I can only have 10 and have to leave them whole right? All of the floats in this video indicates lots of folks do leave the traps out but the bait only milks and attracts them for a few hours right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrfMBq-XNDk&index=5&list=FLQYeYXpT0ikUIPJzq_adGZw

BarnacleL
10-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Okay I have longer lead lines this year so I chose some deeper waypoints on sandy bottom to drop the traps. It will have to be offly smooth before I go to CrabB72 waypoint but its nice to have it in my GPS. CrabB44 was good to me in Jan this year with 5 keepers. If I do go to CrabB72 it is 1.7 miles from the jetty so with the 5hp outboard at 8mph that is 15 minutes and I can row 2mph for a backup, plus the waves wash me to shore.:yahoo:

duckplkr
10-26-2014, 01:38 AM
that was a cool video. I got to get me a drone.

ngt
10-28-2014, 05:15 AM
Wish I could go out. Jealous. My boat should be ready either this weekend or the next. Have fun and be safe. Oh, and I wouldn't leave pots unattended for too long on soaks outside. Thieves have been getting worse and worse over the last few years. The whole drop and go up north to fish is risky.

BarnacleL
10-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Okay I won't leave my crab traps out for long without checking them, thank you ngt. Since standard time kicks in this weekend I'll camp Sunday night, get up at 6a Monday, launch vessel Homer and drop the traps, check at 9a, freshen bait, beach Homer, bring back keepers to camp to steam and ice down, go get the traps at 11a and pull Homer up the launch ramp, I have to be out of my campsite at noon, steam and ice down the 2nd pull of crabs. Head back home, 2 crabs I snared at Pacifica pier died in my 5 gallon bucket of seawater with the bubble box last spring so I am going to steam these in sea water at the ocean.

Hopefully a Monday launch on this swell forecast will be looking better because I can't drop my traps in the waypoints I selected with 12 foot swells. I sure like this website one of you fishsniffer's turned me on to Welcome to CDIP! Home (http://cdip.ucsd.edu/themes/) :dancingorange:

starcraft69
10-28-2014, 07:11 AM
Here is what I use to check ocean swells and forecast.

NDBC - NWS Forecast (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS56.KMTR.html)

and here is bodega

NDBC - Station 46013 (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46013)

I hope this helps

JB14
10-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Good luck anyone headed out this weekend with the current forecast. 8-10+' swell with wind waves over the top is no joke.

brokea--boater
10-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Bodega is pretty well protected from the NW conditions, but pay close attention to that damn South wind. It changes too fast and out of nowhere at times. Here's another link that most don't know about for BB. BOON :: Bodega Ocean Observing Node (http://bml.ucdavis.edu/boon/index.html). The collage has a center on the BB head, so its very close for wind info,,,gregg

BarnacleL
10-28-2014, 07:55 PM
I have not seen mon nov 3 swell forecast yet. Morning winds nov 3 is 6mph. I won't launch if it is not safe. Campsite is paid for, s10 truck towing Homer gets 31.2 mpg hwy, Homer burns 1 quart per hour at 9 mph if I turn around at end of jetty whole trip is less than 4 gal truck and boat. I'll eat froze costco combo pizza that $7.

antnida
10-29-2014, 06:48 PM
So suck that I am down to just the trolling motor for the weekend. Worst case we'll be crabing from the jetty.

BarnacleL
10-29-2014, 09:12 PM
I have been out there twice on last winter with my 50# thrust trolling motor and 2 batteries. It pushes my 270# boat 4.5mph and the current at Doran ramp reaches 3.5 mph that gives 1 mph safety margin. I'll be using my 5hp though Monday, it pushes my boat 8-9 mph.

Speaking of safety margin the swell forecast heat map is looking bluer (4 foot swell) into Sunday check out the attached. Anyone who has worked with a ripple tank in physics lab knows that swell had to dampen and waves attenuate.:bananasplits:

I packed some extra 2" PVC to roll the boat up the sand when I beach it, since there is only a launch dock at Doran, my butt was dragging last winter pulling that 270# boat back into the surf. I dug out my barbless circle hooks and 3oz bananna sinker leaders I made. I have 15# line on my reel, probably better with 20# but I don't want to waste the new line on that reel.

I cable tied my Harbor Freight towing lights onto junction box covers for easy install/removal loosening 2 screws each, the magnets aren't strong enough and they fell off on Hwy 1 last winter shattering as they bounced off the pavement tethered by wires.:Butthead:

starcraft69
11-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Wow this bait is stinky it has been soaking/rotting since Thursday night. I know the crabby will love it. I hope to see some of you out there this week. I will update the thread through the week.

24093 24094

salmonid
11-02-2014, 08:10 AM
I used to use spoiled/old meat for crabbing. Then I got Salmonella from the "marinated/aged" chicken... Arghh.

I now use fresh or frozen bait. The other thing I think about is you're eating what the crab ate!

Best,

starcraft69
11-02-2014, 08:19 AM
I always wear rubber gloves when handling the chicken. As for what the crab eat your right that's what they eat all the rotting fish and other dead things at the bottom of the ocean, I don't think fresh DEAD bait for a few hours in the cage really changes what the crab taste like or changes the fact that they have been feeding on rotting caucuses for the last few months. With that said I use to do the same thing But I have done really well with this bait set up and a salmon head for the last few years. Happy crabbing!!!!!!!!!!!

Ducks247
11-02-2014, 11:34 AM
See you there leaving tomorrow morning.

starcraft69
11-02-2014, 05:18 PM
See you there Ducks we are leaving in the morning as well give me a call

Ducks247
11-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Crabs are thick this year! Looks like it's going to be a really good year!http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/04/2cd5c16109ed100d6722e3bdfc8760c4.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/04/b4873512d3935f1f7525509efd72a6dc.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/04/75aacb90252a6e88cc90d6c07b9d26ac.jpg
It was nice to see Starcraft too thanks for saying hi buddy!

klamathforme
11-04-2014, 07:24 PM
wondering how the fog has, been at bodega in early morning would like to skip a work day and go on Thursday or Friday drop my pots for a little soak , looks like Thursday weather is better than Friday any info would be great . I have a 16ft Klamath akw

Ducks247
11-05-2014, 01:21 AM
The crabing is great just come over and drop some pots. Your boat is the perfect size you'll have no worries. Weather is great all week

starcraft69
11-08-2014, 04:53 PM
What a stellar week limits again this year Ducks it was great to see all you guys again I think we will be back to camping next year I think the same loop you guys were in I will get back with you. I hope everyone had a great opener as good as it was I don't see how you couldn't have had a great week. Fish on guys and gals