PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Bird hunting coming this weekend, you ready?

itsbangtime
11-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Fall turkey opens, morning dove opens back up, pheasant season starts.......I am FOAMING at the mouth! Taking Monday off, get Tuesday off, so it is all about the birds this weekend! I can't wait!

Big Game
11-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Have Fun, Be Safe and if you are anywhere near Williams, stop in at Louis Cairo's (if it's still there - or Granzellas).

Great Post hunt Watering Holes with Great Food.

P.S. Don't walk in a straight line if you are Pheasant Hunting - do a zig zag.....it confuses them more.....I mean your hunting Party
:leb3nr:
Here are a few pics so you guys can remember what yer' lookin' fer'

Big Game

Fast Eddie
11-06-2014, 10:36 PM
Fall turkey opens, morning dove opens back up, pheasant season starts.......I am FOAMING at the mouth! Taking Monday off, get Tuesday off, so it is all about the birds this weekend! I can't wait!

Hey I'm new to hunting in ca for phesants and was wondering does everyone hunt through clubs or public lands?

Big Game
11-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Hey I'm new to hunting in ca for phesants and was wondering does everyone hunt through clubs or public lands?

Fast Eddie,

I sent you a (Top Secret) P.M. (ha)

Big Game

Waterdog
11-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Hey Fast Eddie, wild pheasant hunting in Ca. Is dismal at best. There are few places to hunt them on public land. You can find a few at the refuges but not many. If you belong to a duck club that has wild pheasants or something like wilderness unlimited or the Richmond Hunting Club you can shoot wild pheasants but in reality there are few wild pheasants in Ca. Used to be a lot of pheasants in the Sac valley but due to habitat loss and certain farming practices the wild pheasant population is very very low in Ca. There are some farms and ranches that have a good number of wild pheasants but unless you know the owner you won't be able to hunt those properties. 20 or more years ago I used to pheasant hunt the Williams area and there were lots and lots of pheasants. They were everywhere. Today you seldom see pheasants out there.
Most pheasant hunters in Ca. Hunt at pheasant clubs. There are lots of pheasant clubs around N. Ca. Some really good ones some not so good. If you want some information on clubs pm me and I will share my thoughts with you.
In any event whether you hunt wild birds or club birds you will need a well trained experienced dog. If you hunt wild birds you will probably never see a pheasant without a good dog and all of the clubs require that you hunt with a dog. Many clubs have dogs you can rent if you don't have one.
if you want more info let me know.

itsbangtime
11-07-2014, 11:27 AM
What they said! Public land in California is tough hunting. Depending on where you are, Hastings Island is a good one, Birds Landing, but my personal favorite is Quail Point in Zamora.