PDA

View Full Version : HMB Crabbing

gligh1
11-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Hey Guys,

Going to be heading out towards Half Moon Bay this weekend. I've been hearing a lot of reports about crabbing in Bodega Bay, but nothing towards HMB. Has anyone been out that way? Any particular spots or depth range?
Thanks

kris k
11-06-2014, 10:00 PM
I'll be out there Friday and saturday. No reason to believe it's much different than further north. Plan to drop traps off Martin's beach on Friday since I'll have my 2 year old on board. Saturday I'll head about 3-4 miles west of the ritz. I'll report back tomorrow night.

kris k
11-08-2014, 07:02 AM
Weather was garbage yesterday afternoon so I only dropped 1 pot for a little over an hour but picked up 4 keepers at 45 feet between the green can and Martin's beach.

gligh1
11-08-2014, 01:41 PM
I'll be heading out tomorrow, supposed to be really nice calm conditions. I'll keep you posted. That's not bad 4 keepers in 1 hour! Plus only 1 pot, I think you would have got limits if you really wanted.
Thanks

kris k
11-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Dropped 4 pots in 150 feet about 3 miles west of the ritz. 3 hour soak, first 3 pots were loaded!!!! Almost 40 keepers. Kept 20 jumbos. Last trap provided a nice dinner for some unscrupulous douche. Rockfish bite off the ritz left much to be desired. 1 black, 1 blue, 1 vermilion.

BigUnInDaBoat
11-08-2014, 08:14 PM
I think it's time for crabbers in CA to start locking their pots.

ApexPredator
11-09-2014, 12:41 PM
I think it's time for crabbers in CA to start locking their pots.

I never thought about that but it isn't a bad idea.

kris k
11-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Anybody know any details about the incident off hmb today. Coast Guard rushed a guy to the dock as we were coming in. Looked like they were trying to revive him but he didn't make it. Another casualty on the water.

gligh1
11-10-2014, 08:12 PM
I heard over the radio when this guy went overboard, but I thought he was okay. Here is the article.

Fisherman dies after going overboard - Half Moon Bay Review : News (http://www.hmbreview.com/news/fisherman-dies-after-going-overboard/article_55532684-684f-11e4-a1c9-27e75abd783e.html)

I must be in the wrong area or using the wrong stuff because I dropped down 6 pots and only got 1 dungie. I dropped the pots in about 85 ft of water around everyone else pots. Unless someone took the crabs out of the pots? I soaked them for about 4 hours using anchovies and squid and old fish carcasses.

I heard over the radio that everyone else was getting limits, so maybe I was just in the wrong area.

I guess I am not sure how to read these weather reports because I thought there was only supposed to be a 2 ft swell over 13 seconds, but it was rougher than hell out there. I mean there must have been 6-8 ft swells and guys were puking their guts out over the sides of their boats.

gligh1
11-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Oh yeah by the way for those guys who have never launched out of HMB, it's a zoo. By 7:30am, there were no more parking spaces left, we had to park on the street, actually cabrillo highway and hike down. That's ridiculous, I may just have to launch back out of Richmond or Alameda and make that run outside the gate. I heard Bodega is worse?

I saw fish and game out there catching guys with over limits and undersized fish. Anyone else see this? What happened, there were a couple boats pulled over.

WHT.RUS
11-11-2014, 05:53 AM
Took us 45 minutes to drive about 2.5 miles the other day on the highway lol. Good crabbing though... we had 30 jumbo keepers in one pot. 21 in the other!