PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been pig hunting?

crossram
11-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Anyone been pig hunting?

bretmoua
11-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Heading out for an all day hunt tomorrow somewhere in Fresno County.

reeltor
11-11-2014, 06:31 AM
I'm not a pig hunter but here are a few guys who might be reconsidering...

The hunter becomes the hunted- Video! (http://www.nzblokes.co.nz/hunter-becomes-hunted-video/)

Reeltor

bretmoua
11-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Dumb hunter!!!

Line Stretcher
11-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Dumb hunter!!!

FYI, the guy in the red jacket at the end is Bear Grylls. The other actual hunters got out smarted but I wouldn't call them dumb.

Back to the original question. Lake Sonoma, Rockpile area, several nice pigs spotted in the last couple of weeks. No reports from my buddies on the Cloverdale side yet.

FYI, it's bow only, no dogs, no guns.

bretmoua
11-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Dumb indeed!!! Anyone who uses dogs to track and corner pigs then move in close with a knife or a gun is asking for trouble. What's to prove? Having big gonads? I, along with many hunters like to spot and stalk and shoot from a safe distance.

Line Stretcher
11-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Dumb indeed!!! Anyone who uses dogs to track and corner pigs then move in close with a knife or a gun is asking for trouble. What's to prove? Having big gonads? I, along with many hunters like to spot and stalk and shoot from a safe distance.

Ha, I knew it, you've never been pig hunting before.

LURKER916
11-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Pigs with knives and dogs is crazy, but plenty of folks do it that way.

Line Stretcher
11-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Pigs with knives and dogs is crazy, but plenty of folks do it that way.

Crazy? Probably because I didn't have to do it. At 61 my days of doing that are long since over but I'll never ever forget the adrenaline rush and mental satisfaction I got when I took a pig on pretty much equal grounds. I wasn't completely crazy, I never tried it with a boar. I was too freaked out about hitting the plate and only wounding it.

bretmoua
11-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Ha, I knew it, you've never been pig hunting before.

You must have mistaken my reply. I said I spot and stalk and shoot from a safe distance. Only dumb fools prove how big their gonads are to other people by choosing to hunt that way.
By the way, my pig hunt Tuesday was almost a success. Didn't see anything in the morning but at 5pm I spotted two pigs at roughly 250-300 yards away and try to move in closer but with the little amount of daylight left, I decid d not too. It would have been too much to try to find the pig after the shot and quarter it for the hike back to the car a mile away. There is always next time.

fishingfrieda
11-12-2014, 06:53 PM
How do these wild pigs taste compared to store bought?

QueenAnnesRevenge
11-12-2014, 09:10 PM
How do these wild pigs taste compared to store bought?
Depends heavily on their age, sex and diet.

bretmoua
11-12-2014, 09:11 PM
It taste like chicken LOL. Just kidding but on a more serious note, it taste like pork but with a more game scent to it. If u can get past the game scent and taste then its actually pretty good. Its a little tougher than domestic pork because it has adapted to the wild looking for food and survival. I know a lot of hunters don't care too much for the skin but that's actually good eating too. The boars will often time have a thick skin and that's really good for making pork rinds to snack on during a football game LOL. Due to the meat being a bit tougher, a lot of hunters make sausages with the meat. Now that you know just a tad bit more about it.....bon a petit LOL

fishingfrieda
11-12-2014, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a hunters course and hunting pigs. Thanks everyone for answering.

dsa2780
11-12-2014, 11:25 PM
If you have time to check this video out by PBS foods, they go into a little depth on the hunt and in part two they have a chef break down the pig and talk about the flavors compared to a farmed one. Really interesting and well shot series on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17o1EnJKyIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H0a5ObePkM

Jimmy_M
11-18-2014, 02:27 PM
I was up at my friends families property in Lake county this weekend. We seen a lot of fresh tracks, rooted up areas, and rub marks on trees but no pigs. This cool down and rain should help some. They are the experts but they are positive they will put me on a pig this season as long as I can put some time in up there. Now I'll have to throw pigs in the mix with Sturgeon and Steelhead!

bretmoua
11-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Plan to go out pig hunting on a rainy day. Just like deer, the pigs like to come out and play all day too. I usually harvest my pigs during or right after the rain. Good luck to you.

outdoordude
11-29-2014, 09:19 AM
How do these pigs taste compared to store bought?
Yes age and sex has a lot to do with the flavor, more sex than age, I have never had a gamie problem with sow pigs, boars over a hundred pounds keep walkin, I killed a 285lb sow that was delicious. More flavor, generally you wont get much if any bacon from wild hogs, but if you decide to go find em for the first time, field dress and cool quickly, and find a butcher that will take game. Most of the time I butcher my own but I can't replicate the smoked hams they do. I even had a ham done prosciutto style once, I sliced it, wasn't cheap, 50 bucks if I remember, but 20 + pounds of prosciutto was amazing. I disagree with "they are tougher", it's all in how you cook em. A friend gave me some cut of a young boar recently, cooked it, tender but musky, one bite bye bye, dog food

itsbangtime
12-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Boars do tend to be a little, or a lot, rank. I have smoked lots of boars, and I prefer the sows hands down. Remember to cook it well done, they can be/are full of parasites. I actually kill most of my pigs in the heat of the summer believe it or not. I find the water, and that is where I find the pigs. Fort Hunter Liggett has some great pig hunting, as well as the Tejon Ranch. Public land is a crap shoot, and you usually catch them on the fringe habitat or passing through. With the rain, they will be rooting up the softened ground and out longer after bang time.
Lake Sonoma is cranking out some oinkers. I have had a few buddies tag out already, but it is archery only, and plan on hiking quite a bit. I will be hitting Lake Sonoma after waterfowl closes for sure! Go get 'em, #itsbangtime

Jimmy_M
01-06-2015, 08:01 AM
I was invited up to my friend's property again to help repair all the dirt roads after that last big storm we had. After running their skid steer loader all day my friend and I ran back up to the camp to get cleaned up a little and walk the property while dinner was being made. We came across a few pigs and while I was aiming something spooked them and they started to run. Luckily my crosshairs were right on his neck so and I was able to get a shot off but because he started to run I ended up shooting him in the stomach which isn't ideal but hey it's still a kill. This was my first big game I've ever shot and I got to say I think I'm addicted to the hunt now! It's not the biggest boar but I was told it's a good eater :)

bretmoua
01-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Awesome job and congrats on the good size eating pig.

alucardbear
01-06-2015, 08:35 AM
So any info on how to get started on hunting pigs? Great looking pig Jimmy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

BigUnInDaBoat
01-06-2015, 10:04 AM

Unless you are one of the lucky ones to have friends with property in pig country I would suggest starting out with a guided hunt. You'll spend many hours trying unsuccessfully on pub land.

Cali Duck
01-06-2015, 10:09 AM
I was invited up to my friend's property again to help repair all the dirt roads after that last big storm we had. After running their skid steer loader all day my friend and I ran back up to the camp to get cleaned up a little and walk the property while dinner was being made. We came across a few pigs and while I was aiming something spooked them and they started to run. Luckily my crosshairs were right on his neck so and I was able to get a shot off but because he started to run I ended up shooting him in the stomach which isn't ideal but hey it's still a kill. This was my first big game I've ever shot and I got to say I think I'm addicted to the hunt now! It's not the biggest boar but I was told it's a good eater :)

Nice Jimmy! What'd you use? .270?

Jimmy_M
01-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Nice Jimmy! What'd you use? .270?

Remington 700 30-06

Cali Duck
01-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Remington 700 30-06

Dang...that'll knock 'em dead! haha

Jimmy_M
01-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Dang...that'll knock 'em dead! haha

Yup, it's a pretty versatile round.

bretmoua
01-06-2015, 08:53 PM

There are pigs to be had on public lands too. Saying that, you have to do your homework and that means burning a lot of boot rubbers and trying to figure out their pattern. Been pig hunting for the last 8 years and have scored a total of 3 pigs only. Went on a private property hunt and shot 3 in less than an hour. To me, a greater satisfaction was felt when I scored on public land. Yes, it was harder but well worth it. Alucardbear, where are you from? I can recommend some public areas if you are close to the central valley.

bretmoua
01-06-2015, 08:56 PM
Remington 700 30-06

That's the rifle I use too. Great for all big game animals and the rounds are not too pricey either. Great rifle, inexpensive ammos, you can't ask for more.

bretmoua
01-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Went out for pigs earlier today to the spot where I have shot my first ever public land pig. Haven't been to the area in almost 6 years. Got to the parking area, hiked in for a mile and saw private property signs everywhere. What the $@%#? The place still looks the sam3 like how I last saw it but it was different in a way. I wonder if the mtn area was really owned or someone just putting up signs so they can enjoy it to them self. Anyhow, I didn't want to stay around to find out so I made the long mile hike, up and down, back to my car. Came down to a big open area and shot my 30.06 15 rounds before calling it a day. Still great to be out though.

LynnyG
04-17-2016, 02:23 PM

It's a better rush that you could ever imagine. It's not about having balls, how would you shoot a hog when 2 or 3 of your dogs are locked on or just fighting the pig, you don't or can't. So you grab it by the back legs flip it and stick it. Done deal.

Troutbead
05-18-2016, 09:45 AM
It's a better rush that you could ever imagine. It's not about having balls, how would you shoot a hog when 2 or 3 of your dogs are locked on or just fighting the pig, you don't or can't. So you grab it by the back legs flip it and stick it. Done deal.

Pigs are classified as a game animal has you can't use a knife to take a game animal. So there is that..........

There is a name for a person that illegally takes game.

Kimochou
06-16-2016, 02:36 PM
I had a very nice hike carrying a rifle on Sunday in Mendocino. Tons of pig sign, no pigs. Looks like the tag is not going to get turned in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

PTownViper
06-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Hunted with Avila Guided Hunts in Bradley, CA. a few weeks ago. Very accommodating on hunting and lots of hogs. Both my hunting partner and myself both were able to get nice hogs in the 200-225# range, property is approximately 7000+ acres of private land, working cattle and wine crops. Of course there is a fee to hunt but very reasonable hunt for two days. We hunted for two days, but could have been done in a few hours but were a little picky about what we wanted to take.
avilaguidedhunts.com

Good luck
PTownViper