PDA

View Full Version : Duck Recipes

Cali Duck
11-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Greetings all,

Looking to get some duck recipes! Please feel free to share your favorite here. Also, if you have any pics, I would love to see.

Thanks!

-CaliDuck

dsa2780
11-21-2014, 02:22 PM
I don't duck hunt, but one of my friends does. He gave me 10 spoonies (diver ducks) in trade of some salmon jerky. Personally, I didn't mind the breasts cooked normally but it was amazing made into sausage. I have a sausage grinder on top of my kitchenaid mixer, so ran through like 8 breasts, a whole small diced onion, a handful of herbs like rosemary and thyme, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic and of course, for a binder, I ran through like 4 slices of thick fatty natural bacon. You need to fat from pork or rendered duck fat if you have any, to really get the stuff to stick together.

I added some red wine and maple syrup to a few smaller portions, but the above recipe was my main one. It froze really well, but you know, it didn't make it longer than a week before it was all gone.

I recommend this website from Hank Shaw who lives and hunts/fishes the greater Sacramento area. Ducks are kind of his specialty.

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-goose-recipes/

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-goose-recipes/breasts/

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-goose-recipes/sausages-salami/

Cali Duck
11-21-2014, 02:33 PM
I don't duck hunt, but one of my friends does. He gave me 10 spoonies (diver ducks) in trade of some salmon jerky. Personally, I didn't mind the breasts cooked normally but it was amazing made into sausage. I have a sausage grinder on top of my kitchenaid mixer, so ran through like 8 breasts, a whole small diced onion, a handful of herbs like rosemary and thyme, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic and of course, for a binder, I ran through like 4 slices of thick fatty natural bacon. You need to fat from pork or rendered duck fat if you have any, to really get the stuff to stick together.

I added some red wine and maple syrup to a few smaller portions, but the above recipe was my main one. It froze really well, but you know, it didn't make it longer than a week before it was all gone.

I recommend this website from Hank Shaw who lives and hunts/fishes the greater Sacramento area. Ducks are kind of his specialty.

Duck and Goose Recipes - Recipes for Wild Ducks and Geese | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook (http://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-goose-recipes/)

Duck Breast Recipes - Recipes for Duck and Goose Breasts | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook (http://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-goose-recipes/breasts/)

Duck Charcuterie | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook (http://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-goose-recipes/sausages-salami/)

Excellent start DSA thanks...you're quite the young chef! I won't be making any sausage, but hope to have some duck breast and wings after this Saturday...

Will take a look at these, thanks again-

Hercules100
11-22-2014, 03:26 PM
Hello: Cali Duck

I belong to a club and we eat ducks at least 3 days a week during the season. We have tried several ways over the years but the old "Duck Club" receipt seems to be the best and very easy.

First: Start out with a GOOD duck, Pintail or Teal, the fresher the better. Soak in lightly salted cool water for 1/2 hr. (this will get out the blood from shot, etc) Place ducks in a foil lined oven pan, breast side up. Pour soy sauce on ducks, this will also help the additional seasonings stick, then season salt, pepper and garlic power to taste.

Preheat oven to 500, if you like you meat on the rare side cook ducks for 22 minutes, if you like your meat medium add 3 minutes, but remember the more you cook the ducks the dryer and tougher they will be. (Pintail or larger ducks on the top rack, Teal on the lower rack, same cooking times)

BonaAppetite

Hercules

Jral3174
11-22-2014, 09:51 PM
My personal recommendation for ducks is to brine them it helps with the gamey taste some people may not care for. Also helps with the less table fair birds (Spoonies, ring necks, buffleheads, ect.) If it's done right with some seasonings added you can get anyone one to eat it! No matter the bird.

Waterdog
11-23-2014, 07:38 PM
I have lots of wild game cook books and good duck recipes but rather than give you a recipe I'll just say that no matter how you cook duck the key is to not over cook it. The breasts need to be pink in the middle. If you overcook duck the meat looks and has the texture of leather and tastes like liver(not liver you want to eat). Just keep the breast meat rare or medium rare. Fruity sauces go great with duck. Orange sauce, berry sauces and plum sauces are fabulous on duck. Bonaparte .

Grncrestliner
11-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Our family favorite is on the larger ducks and or geese is to bone out the breast and use it in a stir fry dish. I slice the breast meat into small pieces and this also gives me a chance to check for shot. I save the legs and thighs in a separate bag and freeze them 10 or so per bag. I then cook those by themselves basting with a sweet teriyaki sauce on my grill. I use the leg quarters for snacks while I watch football on Sundays. Sometimes the leg quarters are the best part. My neighbors really like the stir fry dish also. The backs really do not have much meat to offer but the leg quarters IMHO are worth the effort. Duck chili can also be really good using boned out breast meat. My son does a nice job with whole plucked mallards or pintails on a very hot Weber by catching all the drippings in a pan so you do not get flare-ups but you have to be on top of it or you will over cook it and then it is way too dry. I am too lazy to pluck my ducks so after they are skinned you really cannot grill them without them drying out. Duck and goose sausage is getting to be very popular but I have not made any yet. I just eat everyone else's.
John

nvthis
11-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Ok, here's my favorite way and it's good stuff, man. Take ALL the meat from the duck off the bones. Cut them in roughly 1 inch cubes or big enough that a strip will fold up about that size. Marinate them in apple juice, salt and pepper. I use Louisiana apple shine (won't say where I get from), but plain juice would work just as well. Wrap pieces with 1/3 strip of smoked bacon and put on skewers. I HIGHLY recommend stainless steel ones. Put over BBQ coals just until bacon is done. That right there, yeah.