PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Rods without matching pieces?

dsa2780
12-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Long story short, I have not one, but two 7' Ultralight Lamiglas kokanee rod bottom sections missing their respective upper halves. I snapped one 2 years back on a rock and my friend smashed the other one in my cars trunk door.

Normally, I just throw broken rods away, but these handles and bottom portions are extremely nice. I like longer rod handles and these things are the perfect length for what I do when it comes to stream trout drift bobber fishing, trolling or jigging light lures for bass/trout. For reference, I have size 12 shoes. They handles are about 24" long.

http://i.imgur.com/ex1bDtW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/m7suNWr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sHON7MX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iXrzSuA.jpg

Problem is, they have no top half and have been sitting in the corner of my room for the past two years now.

I don't want to throw them away, and was thinking, I've seen guys use hybrid rods before, where you just take the upper end of another rod you like, that matches the action, material and color and go to town. I was wondering if anyone has done this before, or where a good place to browse and buy single rod sections would be. I know a hybrid rod will never feel the same as the original, but at the same time, it seems like a waste to just toss these.

The original rods handled large fish very nicely. I caught a few chinooks from the bank on them. The light action seemed to tire the fish out really quickly since it absorbed headshakes so well.

Any guidance on what to do would is welcome. Thanks!

salmonid
12-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Send them back to Lami and they might give you a new top section, or you can buy a new section from them?

49erbassman
12-17-2014, 05:13 PM
I would give Lami a call and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsa2780
12-17-2014, 08:40 PM
I'll send them an email and see what they say. Last I heard from them, these rods were discontinued but they offered to replace them with new X-11 koke rods for like $60 a piece. I personally don't like the x-11s, but maybe they can sell me an upper section from a similar rod.

robn510
12-18-2014, 05:42 PM
nice rod,
mudhole sells tip sections and cut offs. not necessarily lami but if you get the right size and flex, in an evenings time you can wrap a new tip section and eventually use the rods again.

otherwise..you can make a poormans downrigger for your kayak!

ghostfish_slayer
12-18-2014, 06:48 PM
i save them all eventually they get used... some get stripped down and used for stuff like butt extensions.. some ge mated to others.. right now two of my favorite rods are mismatched rods.. one i call the fennington... half fenwick half reddington.. the other is my battyglass.. half batson half lamiglass..

dsa2780
12-18-2014, 08:26 PM
i save them all eventually they get used... some get stripped down and used for stuff like butt extensions.. some ge mated to others.. right now two of my favorite rods are mismatched rods.. one i call the fennington... half fenwick half reddington.. the other is my battyglass.. half batson half lamiglass..

Lol, I think I'm going to try to find an upper section from a graphite Shakespeare or cheap Okuma in the 7' range. I'll find some use for them, even if they end up as Frankenstein rods.

monkey916
12-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Heck yeah... you can rock the first lami-stik...:stomper:

Line Stretcher
12-19-2014, 08:00 AM
I think that rod is a semi parabolic so in order to keep it that way you'll need a pretty close match.

I have the X11 version of that rod and it's not bad. You can easily tell the difference between it and the one piece Loomis version but it's not enough to make me stop using the X11.

This was posted using Tapatalk.

Seon
12-19-2014, 08:13 AM
I agree, contact the mfr and ask if the'd sell you the upper half.

Thats what I did with my broken upper half. I sent Daiwa an email and was instructed to mail them the lower portion and it may be replaced under warranty. I replied that the rod was over the warranty period but they replied to send it in. I had nothing to lose other than postage. Two weeks later I received a brand new rod at no cost. Best of luck.

MrAnchovy
12-19-2014, 09:01 PM
How about make a really nice gaff?