PDA

View Full Version : photo posting gripe - imageshack

dave_in_el_dorado
03-13-2008, 09:10 AM
FWIW, i have a gripe about pictures posted on the forum using imageshack. when posted as a thumbnail you can enlarge, you click on it and it goes to imageshack...... and then..... another browser window opens some "girlymyspace" advertisement that wont shut down and throws a ton of temporary files and cookies on the computer. everytime i have to do "ctrl/alt/del" and run windows task mgr to shut the thing down....its SPAM. i am not gonna click on anybody's thumbnails anymore which is frustrating because you guys take the time to post nice pics and make great reports.

i prefer to use photobucket for image hosting and would urge others to get away from imageshack.

does anybody else have this problem or is it just me?

sorry for the gripe.....

dave

SuperDave
03-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Sound like you don't have your pop up blocker enabled.

metalmouth
03-13-2008, 11:06 AM
I doubt anyone is leaving Imageshack since all the posting instructions are set that way. What I don't understand is what people are using thumbnails for?

In your case Dave is correct. A popup blocker should stop that. I've never seen it so . . .

dave_in_el_dorado
03-13-2008, 11:20 AM
well i'll be jiggered....my pop up blocker was not checked and i think it worked....a computer geek i aint....but l learned somethin new ....thank ya much superdave.

thanks mm..

i'll still recommend photobucket if anyone asks ;)

SuperDave
03-13-2008, 01:08 PM
What I don't understand is what people are using thumbnails for?

I believe I can explain this too. Imageshack has 2 views, new view and old view. The new view is default code for the thumbnail. One has to actually click a "Thumbnail No" button to get regular code. I don't care for the new view format and use the old view.

Cracker Jacks
03-16-2008, 08:33 AM
I use photobucket ...

I don't get why 1/3 of the pic gets cut out when posting ...

troutfan
03-16-2008, 08:38 AM
I use photobucket ...

I don't get why 1/3 of the pic gets cut out when posting ...
This may "splain" it.

Note: Please be advised that posted images wider than 450 pixels are being cropped by the forum software. *So if you want the viewers to see the right side of your picture, please don't post images that are any wider than that. *Reduce standard digital camera images to 450 X 338 pixels.
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1196641859/0#0
Very good pic resizing free software
http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Cracker Jacks
03-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks,
One more program to mess with. Posting pics on other web sites w/ PB works ...

I will just stand on the left side of the pic from now on ;D ;)

troutfan
03-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks,
One more program to mess with. Posting pics on other web sites w/ PB works ...

I will just stand on the left side of the pic from now on *;D ;)
You can lead a horse to water...

Cracker Jacks
03-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm lazy ... what can i say [smiley=computer.gif] [smiley=homersimpson.gif]

metalmouth
03-16-2008, 01:57 PM
CJ you are on the board all most as much as I am. Better download the pic resizer. Resize your pics before you upload to Imageshack.

Be Happy, No Worries Mon!

MM 8-) ;D 8-)

dave_in_el_dorado
03-17-2008, 06:16 AM
cj, if you use a pc and have "microsoft picture manager" you can resize in their also. its pretty easy

1) download pics from camera at full resolution into a folder on computer
2)make a second (new) folder called compressed pics or whatever
3)copy the pics you want to post on the internet into the new folder
4) open them with MS pic mgr and use edit/resize pic commands
5) save changes then upload to photobucket.

good luck,

tarbuckle
03-17-2008, 04:05 PM
PhotoBucket now has a Pic resizer that you can put in the dimensions you want and lets you crop also.

tc
04-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Can any one tell me why I'm seeing the image and file type on my picture posts from image shack? I believe I followed MM's directions to the letter, not a big deal, but it's irritating.

TC :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

metalmouth
04-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Before you download the pics to Imageshack you have to check the box that says "remove size/resolution bar from thumbnail."

That should fix it. ;)

tc
04-16-2008, 08:47 AM
You are the master! It's amazing how irritating a really simple thing can be.

Thanks

TC :o :o