PDA

View Full Version : Crawdads for bait?

bigfishonly
12-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Anyone had any luck using crawfish for bait? How do you rig them?

Brickinthewall98
12-29-2014, 05:27 PM
You would probaly catch a striper, bass or cat before a sturgeon but its worth a shot if you got the bait

bigfishonly
12-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Yep if you just rigged a couple of tails it may work better. I used to get bit on them but never hooked up!

ngt
12-30-2014, 09:05 AM
I've used crawdads for bass, but never for sturgeon. I usually hook them through the shell around the tail attempting to miss the vein to keep it alive. I give it a tug every once in a while to get it out from under rocks.

FlyWright
12-31-2014, 03:44 PM
Good thought....why not? Maybe like using store bought large shrimp for sturgeon. It ought to work. Then if it doesn't, you have appetizers for the grill.

I tried edible shrimp one time hoping to slay 'em. Finally gave up and switched to eel. I threw the last 6 shrimp on the bbq for dinner and was pulling them off the grill just as F&W wardens approached my boat in the dark with lights blaring! I figured they could smell dinner.

They could easily see me but I had no idea who it was until I asked and they replied. I was the only boat out there at the time. It would have been nice if they announced their identity on the PA as they were motoring toward me. Nice guys though.

WhopperStopper
01-01-2015, 11:09 PM
Seen it work in lisbon. Guys netted baby crawdads in flooded grass and piled on a hook much like grass shrimp.