PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon Sling?

BaitMaster
01-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Picking brains...

I fish out of a small aluminum boat. Catch and release for sturgeon.

I've read through the regs on nets (max dimension 36" excluding the handle).

I want to "catch and release" as fast as possible without harming the fish.

If i DONT plan on boating the fish and he is on the surface but not completely exhausted, would trying to drag the fish into a sling type device attached to the side of the boat be:

1: legal
2. possible
3. a better option than netting (less harm?)

This question stems from catching my first sturgeon this year (53" keeper released). It was chaotic! The wind kept blowing us into the bank(full of hyacinth), we kept having to motor back over to the other side of the slough. Every time we tried to stabilize the fish long enough to remove the hook, one flip of the tail and it was at the bottom! We dragged the fish quite a bit, trying and trying again, meanwhile thinking "theres got to be an easier way"....I had it on the surface 15 minutes into the battle...multiple attempts and 45 mins later we boated it.

It could have been boated sooner with a net IM SURE, but cramming that fat fish in a little net and lifting it into a small boat without breaking your back or tipping the boat over, seems like a chore itself.

Also, i plan on attending the diamond classic this year and it seems like they want the fish left in the water?

JB14
01-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Roll the fish over on it's back and release the barbless hook. The sling seems impractical.

As for your fight, were you not anchor?

BaitMaster
01-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Im a newb.... My buddy has the dino experience and decided to pull anchor.

Because it was my first sturgeon we wanted a photo op.

During the diamond classic. Is standard practice from a small boat: netting to control the fish, then un-netting to use the measure stick provided by the weigh master?

Just trying to form a game plan and put my mind at ease. It would suck to lose a fish at the boat while trying to get a measurement during a derby....

Reel Fun
01-03-2015, 11:09 AM
This is the exact reason I called DFW and asked them to consider bringing back the snare with a rule that all snared fish must remain in the water? They never really considered it. I have heard rumors of guys using a rope still but it is illegal. If done with the fish never leaving the water the snare is the best way to control the fish so both angler & fish don't get hurt.....it allows the fight to be ended much sooner...and it makes it easier for the angler to spend more time reviving the fish so they have a better chance of not falling to prey (fur bags) when released. That's a win win win win in my book?

BaitMaster
01-03-2015, 11:12 AM
This is the exact reason I called DFW and asked them to consider bringing back the snare with a rule that all snared fish must remain in the water? They never really considered it. I have heard rumors of guys using a rope still but it is illegal. If done with the fish never leaving the water the snare is the best way to control the fish so both angler & fish don't get hurt.....it allows the fight to be ended much sooner...and it makes it easier for the angler to spend more time reviving the fish so they have a better chance of not falling to prey (fur bags) when released. That's a win win win win in my book?

Insert sling idea....lol.

I couldn't find anything in the regs about slings. A net is defined.... And a sling doesn't fit the description.

BaitMaster
01-03-2015, 11:20 AM
This is kind of what i was thinking:

http://i59.tinypic.com/au885v.jpg

BaitMaster
01-03-2015, 11:29 AM
My first dinosaur: 53" - eel - september 2014 - experimental rig

http://i57.tinypic.com/904kn6.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/r1x7i1.jpg

Reel Fun
01-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Slings are a good way to control the fish. Most anglers in my opinion spend too much time trying to get the exact measurement on a fish that they either never planned on keeping or is clearly OS? Guys should have a big enough net that a slot fish will fit if they plan on keeping a fish? I would just be careful with the regs on slings or cradles though......the DFW spends a lot of time defining regs on net sizes and hoop diameters etc and they just recently modified the reg for a bigger net? It all makes no sense to me why they would spend so much time concerned if a net is too big? If its a landing net used only to assist landing a hooked fish why does the size matter?

Ok I will go ahead and say it.....when it comes to landing a fish.....Size shouldn't matter!!

BaitMaster
01-03-2015, 11:42 AM
So a cradle/sling 60" long could act as a measuring device...

No excuse for having an oversize in the boat :)

Reel Fun
01-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Yea its illegal if its over 68 fork length to remove from the water.....But there is that whole bragging thing that a lot of guys have and will boat a 7 fter or bigger just to take pics knowing that once released it would be impossible to get a ticket for? Its more of a "sportsman" respect thing than a DFW law.

monkey916
01-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Hey RF... I recommended the use of a Bigger net to Marty... in one of those threads that went on and on... so are they changing it to bigger than a 36'' net soon...? I can't find anything on bigger than 36'' in the regs yet...

Ps. I threw the bigger net idea out there... because I knew the snare was never coming back... too much misuse...or the probability for misuse...

JB14
01-03-2015, 01:11 PM
As soon as you hookup in the derby you call the weigh masters on the radio and they'll head your way. You can net them and put a tape on them.

Once a sturgeon is rolled over on its back it's pretty docile and the fight is done 99% of the time. Can't imagine you'll need to pull anchor on a 54" fish moving forward.

JB14
01-03-2015, 01:15 PM
The other option is to buy a bigger net. If it doesn't fit in the net then it's too big.

BaitMaster
01-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Thanks JB.

Keep It Simple Stupid :)

monkey916
01-03-2015, 02:59 PM
Baitmaster... Your idea of building that sling is cool... but maybe not practical hooked to the side of the boat... if you still wanted to go that route... here's a portable one that you can put under the fish no matter which side of the boat the fish is on...Frabill Pro-Tech Muskie Cradle : Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Frabill-Pro-Tech-Muskie-Cradle/700783.uts)

it would also be easier to transport... taking up less space and without adding more weight to your boat...

BaitMaster
01-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Baitmaster... Your idea of building that sling is cool... but maybe not practical hooked to the side of the boat... if you still wanted to go that route... here's a portable one that you can put under the fish no matter which side of the boat the fish is on...Frabill Pro-Tech Muskie Cradle : Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Frabill-Pro-Tech-Muskie-Cradle/700783.uts)

it would also be easier to transport... taking up less space and without adding more weight to your boat...

Yeah, i drew that picture in ms paint, just to illustrate the premise of using a sling/cradle type device... I was more curious if it could be considered an "oversized net" and therefore illegal to use.

A 36" cradle wouldn't be any better than a 36" net...lol

I guess landing a sturgeon with a legal sized dip net and then laying it into a cradle would be alright?

JB14
01-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Mark the edge of your boat.

Build a PVC pipe that's 60" long and marked @ 40" and just hold it next to the sturgeon in the water.

Get a 60" piece of string and will extend in the current next to the fish.

I think there's all sorts of options without trying to fabricate some sort of cradle. I just don't see the need for a cradle but with that said, whatever gets the job done for you is fine by me since I'm just a random guy on the Internet.

Reel Fun
01-03-2015, 08:41 PM
Stafford Lehr was on the Sep show about a month or so ago.....sep had listeners email in questions for DFW and he was asking them on the air.....I asked Sep to bring up the snare with the "snare rules" we talked about it and Sep agreed that it was a good idea and if followed would be a great thing. We both knew it had 0% chance of getting even thought about? He did ask Stafford and Stafford said they were not going to present it to the commission as an option but he did say they allowed a "bigger bag" on the net? I never thought the bag size was regulated? I knew the hoop diameter was but not the bag? That was the last I heard about it though???

I had also talked to Stafford on the phone one day (prior to talking to Sep) about the snare and he said he would give it to their panel for consideration? I know its gone and never coming back! I just fell very strongly that with all the newer regs in place a snare would be great! The way I see it is that any slot fish that is to be kept is most likely boing to be netted......fish over 68 inches could be snared to control them easier and end the fight sooner as well as aid in fish revival without removing it from the water? We all know fish over 68 stay in the water and the main reason for getting a snare ban was taking OS fish out of the water and injuring them in the process.....Marty showed internet pics of 7-8 fters being hoisted out for pics and BAM new reg banning snares!!

Reel Fun
01-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Seps Outdoor Archieved Radio Shows (http://www.seps.com/archived_shows-n.html)

Click on the 8-23 show and

At 1 hr 10 min Stafford addresses it.....

Reel Fun
01-03-2015, 09:04 PM
I also found this on a Fish And Game Commission meetings website.........

Current allowable size - 36 inches in greatest dimension
•Current size hinders landing of larger species such as sturgeon
•Proposed new size - 36 inches across net opening and 60 inches deep
•Keep 36-inch size restriction for dip nets used to capture bait fish

ApexPredator
01-04-2015, 12:32 AM
The other option is to buy a bigger net. If it doesn't fit in the net then it's too big.

This, its really simple. Get a big quality net, any fish you can boat will be able to fit in the net and it is a fast way to end a fight before the fish tires out. I think a sling would be more trouble then it's worth and probably cost you fish at the boat. Once you start catching more sturgeon you will be able to tell the size by the fight and if it is a slot fish when you first see it. I like the idea of marking the boat at 60" and you can use that as a rough guide while you get the hang of it.

BaitMaster
01-04-2015, 05:47 AM
Thanks guys!

Ill keep it simple.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Reel Fun
01-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Hey RF... I recommended the use of a Bigger net to Marty... in one of those threads that went on and on... so are they changing it to bigger than a 36'' net soon...? I can't find anything on bigger than 36'' in the regs yet...

Ps. I threw the bigger net idea out there... because I knew the snare was never coming back... too much misuse...or the probability for misuse...

A bigger hoop size would be nice! Net mfgrs might build them better/stronger.....but DFW has only to my knowledge only allowed a bigger/deeper bag and left the hoop size the same? Even going to like 42 in would be helpful..

FlyWright
01-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Here's a couple of links to a similar discussions about this issue last January.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/sturgeon-board/111426-1-14-14-mbf-horseshoe.html

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/sturgeon-board/111310-fishing-net-sling.html

I decided to just go with the deeper net instead of the sling.