PDA

View Full Version : Herring spawn?

FishnBeer
01-10-2015, 07:11 AM
Any word of herring spawns anywhere in s.f. bay right now?

salmonid
01-10-2015, 08:18 AM
It's been going on for a couple of weeks!

FishnBeer
01-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Found this. Think the spawn is over

https://cdfwherring.wordpress.com/2015/01/10/pacific-herring-spawning-and-fishery-update-week-of-january-5-2015/

auman
01-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the web site . will try to find out if there will be any more spawn to go on ..Sounds like a fun day getting bait . Signed up to get info .

robn510
01-17-2015, 09:28 PM
Last I saw they went from anza skirted past fishermans (but were way out of reach from shore) and ended up 6 feet off coyote beach. Harvested 3 buckets, made my neighbor smile. They're being brined as we speak. We butterflied and grilled a couple dozen of them at a party and they were a big hit. Oily and Fishy basted with olive oil, lemon, shallots, pepper, cilantro and fresh tarragon. surprisingly good for bait.

I have a big stinky cheese cloth full of ground up herring in the backyard, trying to make my own scent. We'll see how that goes. Seems to be working to attract the local cats and racoons so i'm hopeful....

next year hopefully will be good as well.

FishnBeer
01-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Get all that slime off them, put in a squirt bottle and you got primo scent for sturgeon. Who needs pro cure when you got "buckets of herring". Heck, drop you anchor line in that bucket and let it soak for a few days lol

robn510
01-18-2015, 06:34 PM
Get all that slime off them, put in a squirt bottle and you got primo scent for sturgeon. Who needs pro cure when you got "buckets of herring". Heck, drop you anchor line in that bucket and let it soak for a few days lol

You can use the slime? I only have 3/4 of a home depot bucket for myself, my neighbor has the rest. She was the motivation for hunting them down. I even harvest seaweed for her when I go to the beach. Damned hippies....

mixed herring with mineral oil, pulsed in the food processor, simmered on the coleman for 2 hours and drained. It stinks good. Mixed some of the oil today with melted petroleum jelly, stinks like crap which I'm told is a good thing. Its cooling right now. Hopefully it'll be a good bait butter for swimbaits and irons.

fish on!

auman
01-20-2015, 09:04 AM
Was reading that the spawn can go on till March -April . Hope to catch a low tide on the weekend to try to get eggs and or fish for bait .

robn510
01-20-2015, 08:30 PM
"Hope to catch a low tide on the weekend to try to get eggs and or fish for bait"

how do you keep them from going bad?
check out around windward rd up to mcegney

BigUnInDaBoat
01-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Sausalito today