PDA

View Full Version : Phenix 808 or SMX 82H?

mrmike130s
01-13-2015, 09:20 AM
Been a Striper guy for a long time. But I am graduating up to the big boys. Looking at rods, the Phenix Abyss 808/809 seems to be the go to rod of choice. Looking at their website the M1 INSHORE SERIES, SMX 82H looks like a possible choice too. Anybody have any feed back on this? I haven't had to time to look at, handle yet.

FlyWright
01-13-2015, 10:11 AM
At last year's ISE show in Sacramento, I won a free salmon rod from Phenix. They were low on the Abyss 808/809 series and offered me an M1 Inshore series rod. It's a nice striper rod, but IMO was too light for sturgeon so I didn't use it or pull the tags. The good folks at Phenix were nice enough to help arrange a swap for an Abyss 808 a few weeks later when the rods were restocked with the Vacacille shop.

I like the 808 but find the tip a bit light for the OS fish. That rod is practically bent in half when they swim under the boat. I think an Abyss 809 might be better suited for my tastes, but I'm not complaining. I love the feel of the 808 and it can still handle the big boys.

Last weekend we brought an 84 incher to the boat after a 15 minute fight on my friend's med-light Ugly Stik Tiger Rod BWC 2200 (http://www.tackledirect.com/shakespeare-bwc-2200-70-ugly-stik-tiger-rod-casting.html).

I had been telling him it was too light for sturgeon. It was bent in half much of the time but it worked.

mrmike130s
01-13-2015, 11:09 AM
I was thinking about the 8'2" 20-45 # line. Is that what you had and exchanged back to 808?

BIG_ONE
01-13-2015, 01:40 PM
The 809 and 909 is perfect for me.

FlyWright
01-13-2015, 03:08 PM
I was thinking about the 8'2" 20-45 # line. Is that what you had and exchanged back to 808?

That sounds about right, but I can't remember exactly. I never fished with it.

Angry Sturgeon
01-13-2015, 04:57 PM
You might try a cousins rod. I checked em out at this year's show since the phenix guys WI fi machine wouldn't let my credit card go through and they wouldn't honor there price to me after the show. I was glad because the cousins felt way better balanced in my hand and the composit rod felt way more sensitive then the phenix. Just my 2 cents. ...

Calbassindude
01-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Ok first off Phenix wasn't selling direct at the show. All sales were through Fishermans Warehouse and they did indeed take credit cards. I know, I bought 3 808s! Here is what I saw and liked. The M1s would make a great striper rod, but the handles were more of a plug type rod then the kind of rod you'd put in a Rod holder. The blank itself would more then handle a sturgeon. I already have a couple Abyss 808s and did check out Cousins rods as well before I bought 3 more 808s. The Abyss 808 was lighter, more sensitive, and more forgiving. The one thing I liked about my 808s that I have was the fact that they can handle any oversize fish I've caught on them. But we're also extremely durable in that they could handle a big fish going under the boat without breaking. I talked to Fishermans Warehouse and they confirmed the same thing that Guns Fishing did. They said you won't find a better sturgeon rod and that Phenix had by FAR the lowest warranty return issue of all the rods they sell. So it helped me decide to load the rest of my boat with Phenix and sell my old Tiger Sticks, and Seekers. To me Cousins was rude in there booth, and from what I heard hard to deal with on warranty issues. Just my 2cents! And the guy that said honor there price?! Not sure what he is talking about because Phenix was not discounting anything. Perhaps he has an ulterial motive behind his post, rather than answering your question!

Reel Fun
01-13-2015, 06:49 PM
Take a look at the Super Seeker (red rod) before you buy....might be surprised?

JB14
01-13-2015, 07:21 PM
9 posts and 8 of them regarding Phoenix rods. Ulterior motives? Hmmm....

Ok first off Phenix wasn't selling direct at the show. All sales were through Fishermans Warehouse and they did indeed take credit cards. I know, I bought 3 808s! Here is what I saw and liked. The M1s would make a great striper rod, but the handles were more of a plug type rod then the kind of rod you'd put in a Rod holder. The blank itself would more then handle a sturgeon. I already have a couple Abyss 808s and did check out Cousins rods as well before I bought 3 more 808s. The Abyss 808 was lighter, more sensitive, and more forgiving. The one thing I liked about my 808s that I have was the fact that they can handle any oversize fish I've caught on them. But we're also extremely durable in that they could handle a big fish going under the boat without breaking. I talked to Fishermans Warehouse and they confirmed the same thing that Guns Fishing did. They said you won't find a better sturgeon rod and that Phenix had by FAR the lowest warranty return issue of all the rods they sell. So it helped me decide to load the rest of my boat with Phenix and sell my old Tiger Sticks, and Seekers. To me Cousins was rude in there booth, and from what I heard hard to deal with on warranty issues. Just my 2cents! And the guy that said honor there price?! Not sure what he is talking about because Phenix was not discounting anything. Perhaps he has an ulterial motive behind his post, rather than answering your question!

redneckpunk
01-13-2015, 07:46 PM
9 posts and 8 of them regarding Phoenix rods. Ulterior motives? Hmmm....
Are you suggesting that perhaps someone is trying to promote Phenix rods on this thread? LOL! Im pretty sure theyve already got some really good run on previous threads. But if thats the case, I would suggest to them that they would get a lot further if they would kick down a couple of their rods to the MODS and let us review them. :tomato:

~RNP

49erbassman
01-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Are you suggesting that perhaps someone is trying to promote Phenix rods on this thread? LOL! Im pretty sure theyve already got some really good run on previous threads. But if thats the case, I would suggest to them that they would get a lot further if they would kick down a couple of their rods to the MODS and let us review them. :tomato:

~RNP

Post of the year.....I know it's early but there won't be a better post out there hahaha

I could always test out new rods lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XPL051v3
01-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Post of the year.....I know it's early but there won't be a better post out there hahaha

I could always test out new rods lol

I went to Romeos in Sac and held one in my hands. My next rod i'll get for Sturgeon! After I can break down and put 179$ on it. Send one this way and i'll guarantee i'll put it to the test this Sturgeon year!!!!

-Xzi

FTB530
01-13-2015, 08:18 PM
I tested my 808, That's sucker will sit in the balancer and not move all day long just fine lol

FlyWright
01-13-2015, 09:06 PM
You got me, JB. I'm on the take and have been for years. I get kickbacks for every product I mention on this website. It adds up to tens of thousands per year! Hell, the Shimano royalties alone helped pay for my boat!

Well, it sure felt good getting that off my chest.

redneckpunk
01-13-2015, 09:36 PM
You got me, JB. I'm on the take and have been for years. I get kickbacks for every product I mention on this website. It adds up to tens of thousands per year! Hell, the Shimano royalties alone helped pay for my boat!

Dont you mean "felt good getting that off my Hanes tagless covered chest"? :rotfl2:

~RNP

JB14
01-13-2015, 09:50 PM
I think you misread my quote. Try again.

Reel Fun
01-14-2015, 07:46 AM

~RNP

I knew you were a mod!!!!!!!!!

49erbassman
01-14-2015, 06:29 PM
I knew you were a mod!!!!!!!!!

He never said he wasn't. Your confusing him with Jeremy lol

Angry Sturgeon
01-15-2015, 07:27 PM

Ummmmmm, Wow!!
I am just a fisherman/ rodbuilder. I tried to buy 2 blanks for 200 bucks and there WiFi would not work, I know because I was there, they told me they were having problems for 2 days, no big deal, but since it wasn't my fault I asked if I could get it for that price some other way, the guy was rude, walked away and left me hanging. The only reason I went to the show was to by myself a couple phenix blanks so I could build them and try them myself and see what all the hoopla was about. The guy at the cousins booth (which I have never met), heard and witnessed this, called me over and said check these out, I did, I really like them and I am ordering a couple of those. The post was about what is a good sturgeon rod so I was giving him an opinion.

I did learn through some reading that the guys who started cousins rods, if I dare mention an alternative, we're all involved to some extent with Seeker, Calstar, and early Fenwick, all rods that have history in California's west coast fishery, and are made in So California. I like to support local businesses.
I may have been shouting Phenix if I could have got a little customer service at the show.

FlyWright
01-15-2015, 11:07 PM
Hey, did I mention Phenix gave me a free rod?

It's the BEST free rod I ever won!!

We now return you to your originally scheduled program.

Skipjacker707
01-16-2015, 05:52 AM
Ok school girls play nice...Someone delete what turned into a lame thread

redneckpunk
01-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Ummmmmm, Wow!!
I am just a fisherman/ rodbuilder. I tried to buy 2 blanks for 200 bucks and there WiFi would not work, I know because I was there, they told me they were having problems for 2 days, no big deal, but since it wasn't my fault I asked if I could get it for that price some other way, the guy was rude, walked away and left me hanging. The only reason I went to the show was to by myself a couple phenix blanks so I could build them and try them myself and see what all the hoopla was about. The guy at the cousins booth (which I have never met), heard and witnessed this, called me over and said check these out, I did, I really like them and I am ordering a couple of those. The post was about what is a good sturgeon rod so I was giving him an opinion.

I did learn through some reading that the guys who started cousins rods, if I dare mention an alternative, we're all involved to some extent with Seeker, Calstar, and early Fenwick, all rods that have history in California's west coast fishery, and are made in So California. I like to support local businesses.
I may have been shouting Phenix if I could have got a little customer service at the show.

Its possible you're both correct so no need arguing and fighting. Angry Sturgeon, in your first post you did not mention you were looking at blanks. Im assuming thats where the misunderstanding came from. I believe Phenix had two booths set up at the show. The first and bigger of the two was their Rod booth. And as Calbassindude stated, Phenix was not selling direct through that booth, nor were they discounting rods. All sales were being held across the isle at the FW booth. The second booth, was an accessory booth and located on the end of the isle near the sportsmens theater and was selling blanks, handles, and other "swag". I did not see how sales were handled because everytime I walked by the booth was packed and perhaps they did have an issue that Calbassindude was not aware of because, as he stated, he was buying rods and probably not at that booth.

~RNP

Angry Sturgeon
01-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Its possible you're both correct so no need arguing and fighting. Angry Sturgeon, in your first post you did not mention you were looking at blanks. Im assuming thats where the misunderstanding came from. I believe Phenix had two booths set up at the show. The first and bigger of the two was their Rod booth. And as Calbassindude stated, Phenix was not selling direct through that booth, nor were they discounting rods. All sales were being held across the isle at the FW booth. The second booth, was an accessory booth and located on the end of the isle near the sportsmens theater and was selling blanks, handles, and other "swag". I did not see how sales were handled because everytime I walked by the booth was packed and perhaps they did have an issue that Calbassindude was not aware of because, as he stated, he was buying rods and probably not at that booth.

~RNP

I know how it happened, and what booth I tried to purchase from, but it makes no difference anymore, as it was not what this thread was about. I just won't buy Phenix blanks, no big deal. I am tapping out from this childish jibberish. ...not Saving 50-75 bucks isn't going to break this bank!!

Reel Fun
01-16-2015, 10:51 PM
I know how it happened, and what booth I tried to purchase from, but it makes no difference anymore, as it was not what this thread was about. I just won't buy Phenix blanks, no big deal. I am tapping out from this childish jibberish. ...not Saving 50-75 bucks isn't going to break this bank!!

I guess this answers the question how you got your name? LOL!! You cant fight these guys here! Take it from me! I respect you stuck to your guns and did not get pushed around by someone who wants to tell you what you should think!

Angry Sturgeon
01-17-2015, 04:51 PM
I guess this answers the question how you got your name? LOL!! You cant fight these guys here! Take it from me! I respect you stuck to your guns and did not get pushed around by someone who wants to tell you what you should think!

That a boy Ronnie, incase you didn't notice I changed names to something a little more fishy. So I ordered a couple Cousins Blanks, what do you say when there done we go out and test them out on a couple oversize fish and see if we can't prove they will be the superior rod over the Phenix :-).
Tight lines
Greg